Forum Index > Trail Talk > CAPTURED/Stay away from the Red Top/Teanaway Ridge/Mineral Springs area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pula58

pula58
PostWed Jun 03, 2020 2:04 pm 
Does this include teanaway river road and it's spur roads? i.e., longs pass ingalls pass navaho pass esmerelda basin iron mtn/teanaway peak

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Jun 03, 2020 3:53 pm 
I stumbled upon a old homestead / cabin in the Teanaway. Its easily within hiking distance from mineral springs just up & over the Teanaway ridge. Its a decent shelter with a old stove. It sits in a ( whats not tylical for Teanaway) thick piece of forest right on the edge of a open meadow. I figured if I could stumble upon it, so might someone else. I provided the coordinates to the authorities. Yesterday, 4 officers were in the Mineral Springs Resort parking lot gearing up for a search. I pulled in to have a quick chat. One of the things mentioned by one of the officers that stuck with me was, "this guy can really move." I didn't ask him why he knows that. Wish I would have

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 8:56 am 
I was on N. Fork Teanaway road (9737) yesterday. There was no closure sign in the morning, but one on my way out in the afternoon. It was on the paved section. If law enforcement knows "this guy can really move", then they surely know how easy it would be to get to Cle Elum area and steal a car. The guy has got to be hungry & desperate. He's been at large for over a week now. He could be 100 miles away even on foot.

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 9:06 am 
Much of the Teanaway Community Forest is now closed. Map can be found here: closure map JUNE 3, 2020 DNR Enacts Temporary Closure to Assist with Law Enforcement Activity Campgrounds and Forest Area Closed for Suspect Search OLYMPIA – The Department of Natural Resources, in cooperation with the Kittitas County Sheriff’s Office, has temporarily closed areas of the Teanaway Community Forest to assist law enforcement in an active search for a criminal suspect. The following areas will be closed in cooperation with the search: The North Fork Teanaway Road is closed from Dickey Creek Road to the 29 Pines Campground. The 29 Pines Campground will also close to recreation. Other areas closed include First Creek near the Lauderdale Junction, Jungle Creek, Stafford Creek, Jack Creek, Wetland Jack, Indian Creek, Middle Creek, Dickey Creek, Story Creek, Mason Creek, Mack Creek and Musser Creek. The closure broadly encompasses the areas east of North Fork Teanaway Road. All camping and recreational activity is closed within the designated area until further notice. Signage has been posted at the closures.

neek

neek
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 9:12 am 
Snowdog wrote:
If law enforcement knows "this guy can really move", then they surely know how easy it would be to get to Cle Elum area and steal a car. The guy has got to be hungry & desperate. He's been at large for over a week now. He could be 100 miles away even on foot.
My thoughts exactly. They really think he's still out there, surviving on glacier lilies and marmots? Given the crappy west side weather this weekend, a lot of folks are going to want to head that direction.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 9:46 am 
Lates update this morning
Quote:
Public Land Closures expanded; manhunt continues At the request of the Kittitas County Sheriff’s Office, the US Forest Service and the Washington Department of Natural Resources have issued orders for the temporary closure of new and expanded areas of concern in the ongoing manhunt for Jorge Alcantara-Gonzalez. The coordinated closure includes all Forest Service lands west of SR97 to the edge of the Teanaway Community Forest (in red on the attached map), and the portion of the Teanaway Community Forest on the east side of Teanaway Rd and North Fork Teanaway Rd (in black on the attached map). North Fork Teanaway Rd is also closed near Milepost 9, eliminating access to recreational lands and facilities north of that point, including 29 Pines Campground. Additional closures on the east side of SR97 include the Liberty Campground off Liberty road and Swauk Campground off SR97. The emergency closure order extends until June 15 unless modified or rescinded. Please review the attached map before making any plans in the area. These expansive closures reflect the serious threat to public safety that the subject of this manhunt presents. The Sheriff’s Office has increased patrols in the area and is actively notifying residents about the situation. Residents are encouraged to lock their doors and vehicles, secure their property, and maintain heightened alertness. We encourage anyone to call 911 to report any suspicious activity in or around these areas immediately, particularly including ANY stolen or missing property. The Sheriff’s Office remains committed to apprehending this dangerous suspect and finding Ian Eckles, whose disappearance around May 17 began this investigation.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 11:20 am 
neek wrote:
Snowdog wrote:
If law enforcement knows "this guy can really move", then they surely know how easy it would be to get to Cle Elum area and steal a car. The guy has got to be hungry & desperate. He's been at large for over a week now. He could be 100 miles away even on foot.
My thoughts exactly. They really think he's still out there, surviving on glacier lilies and marmots? Given the crappy west side weather this weekend, a lot of folks are going to want to head that direction.
I've read that he's been breaking into cabins - which if true would both provide evidence of his continued existence there and also likely provide for his sustenance.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 1:54 pm 
There are a couple large but well hidden caves in that area that one could hide in. I suspect the Kittitas County Sheriff already knows about these, but I sent them the coordinates just in case.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 5:06 pm 
My bad, I was on my way to Iron Peak this morning 6/4/20 and the Teanaway road is closed just a couple of miles past the little store at a round circular area that makes it easy to turn around. No way to get to 9737 except local or official business as the closed signs are offset with a picture of the accused on the barriers.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 8:02 pm 
There are people we have for this, let them do their job.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
gb

gb
PostSun Jun 07, 2020 9:24 am 
Definitely stay out of the closure area. Here is the latest from Kittitas Co. Sheriff. He has apparently killed two owners of vehicles. https://www.facebook.com/pg/KittitasCountySheriff/posts/

carlb328

carlb328
PostMon Jun 08, 2020 5:35 am 
I hope they catch him soon, I wonder if they're using drones to search?

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue Jun 09, 2020 4:51 pm 
Latest update:
Quote:
Kittitas County Sheriff 18 mins · Manhunt continues: US Marshals join hunt for Jorge Alcantara-Gonzalez The Sheriff’s Office is continuing the largest manhunt in county history for Jorge Alcantara-Gonzalez, the man suspected of killing Kent hunter Ian Eckles on or around May 17. Evidence and intelligence gathered during our investigation, including tips and information from the public, continue to produce new directions and focus to the search. The related closures of US Forest Service and Teanaway Community Forest lands remain in effect and residents in the area should remain alert and cautious. Alcantara is believed to have burglarized multiple homes and cabins in the area in his search for tools, supplies and weapons. Owners of cabins or homes affected by the closures are encouraged to check on their property or request that Sheriff’s Deputies conduct a Security Check. The prompt discovery of burglaries and thefts is likely to help with quick resolution of those crimes and could provide valuable intelligence in this manhunt. To request a security check in the affected area, call Kittcom, our dispatch center, at (509)925-8534. While the Sheriff’s Office search remains focused on the closure area as Alcantara’s most likely hiding place, we have enlisted the help of the US Marshals, the premiere fugitive-hunting agency in the country, in the event he has fled. The Marshals are offering $5,000.00 for information that leads to Alcantara’s apprehension. If you believe you know of Alcantara’s location in Kittitas County, please call 911 for the fastest possible response. If you have information that Alcantara is OUTSIDE our county and can lead us to him, call the US Marshal’s tip-line at 1-800-336-0102 or use the USMS TIPS App on your mobile device to submit information. Anyone reporting through either method will be eligible for the reward. The victim, Ian Eckles, remains the heart of our investigation and the motivation behind this search. As soon as Alcantara is safely in custody—or when we have evidence that he is out of the area—we are eager to focus more resources, including a reserve of eager volunteer assistance, onto the search for Ian, to give his family the peace and closure they deserve.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
dave allyn

dave allyn
PostWed Jun 10, 2020 9:35 am 
For those wondering about using dogs and heat sensing in helicopters I would point out that the current closure area is about 30 miles by 10 miles. That is 300 square miles of search area. It's unlikely the sheriff would use anyone other than law enforcement officers and dogs for a search for a suspected killer. Volunteer dog handlers wouldn't be used. Infrared search by helicopter could be effective but the area to be searched is large and there are plenty of ways to evade detection.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Jun 10, 2020 9:51 am 
Get bud Garuda carr on the case.