Forum Index > Trail Talk > North Cascades and Chinook Pass?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpackapalooza

Backpackapalooza
PostFri May 22, 2020 8:40 am 
Excuse me but what does this have to do with Chinook and Cayuse passes? dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
drm

drm
PostFri May 22, 2020 3:35 pm 
Can anybody provide info on snow level and how much trailage is open from the trailheads along SR123 south of Cayuse Pass? I'm wondering for example if the Shriner Peak trail might be substantially melted despite the altitude due to it being south facing.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostSat May 23, 2020 4:10 pm 
SwitchbackFisher wrote:
We're all adults and can make our own decisions on what we can and can't do within the confines of what is legal. I would just ask myself if what I am doing might expose myself, and if it does would I be ok with getting someone I care about sick over it. I have been hiking several times now, I haven't seen a single person on the trail, but if there are cars in the lot I go to the next TH I might want to do. Just because that's what I feel right doing does not mean that's what is right for other people to do. Again were all adults and can make our own decisions, whether you agree or not is fine. There is no need to insult each other and be nasty because you may have differing opinions.
I couldn't agree more and I was simply reacting to Tree warper's post instructing us to "stay at home." Maybe I should not have used the term "silly" to describe that post, but people are seriously overreacting to what I wrote. And if you invoke Inslee as the reason why you're instructing me to stay home, then he's fair game. My intention was not to provoke or troll anyone, just to express an opinion that was.... (horrors!) different from someone else's. Carry on.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun May 24, 2020 5:19 pm 
My wife and I went up the Rattlesnake ( Chinook Pass) yesterday and man oh man I've never seen so many people camping. I have a friend who went up White Pass and he said every conceivable spot was occupied. Memorial Day sure, with good weather, but lots of out of work stir crazy people too.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun May 24, 2020 9:13 pm 
kbatku wrote:
My wife and I went up the Rattlesnake ( Chinook Pass) yesterday and man oh man I've never seen so many people camping. I have a friend who went up White Pass and he said every conceivable spot was occupied. Memorial Day sure, with good weather, but lots of out of work stir crazy people too.
We took the dogs for a walk on the Middle Fork Snoqualmie yesterday. I really want to check out the new Oxbow Loop trail but everything on the paved section of road was a madhouse. Well, scratch that, there were only about 10-15 cars at the Gateway bridge parking lot which I thought was strange considering how many people there were everywhere else. There were hundreds of cars at Mailbox and a whole bunch of them at the Oxbow trail too. The CCC trailheads were also pretty busy. So, we drove all the way to the Dingford gate and walked the road beyond the gate. Despite the road beyond the end of pavement being in atrocious condition and not passable to low clearance vehicles, there were still a decent number of people at the road end. Fortunately, we went later in the day and quite a few people were leaving as we arrived. People camped everywhere it was possible to camp up there, too. Friend of mine talked to someone at WSDOT last week and they said it's likely Chinook will be open the first full weekend of June.

gb

gb
PostMon May 25, 2020 7:21 am 
drm wrote:
Can anybody provide info on snow level and how much trailage is open from the trailheads along SR123 south of Cayuse Pass? I'm wondering for example if the Shriner Peak trail might be substantially melted despite the altitude due to it being south facing.
Your best bet on this are the Crystal Mountain webcams and NWAC telemetry for Crystal, Chinook, and White Passes. I'd guess there would be substantial melt out until the trail reaches the ridgeline about 1/2-2/3 way up. At that point it becomes north facing and I would imagine there would be enough depth that even following the trail is likely to be difficult. You would have to navigate, perhaps gaining the ridge earlier, and carry an ice axe.

stever

stever
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 4:16 pm