Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > To your/our health (Covid-19 thread)
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat May 30, 2020 8:30 pm 
Okay folks this is the final warning. I know I've given a lot of warnings but I'm serious. The next person(s) that posts politics in this thread will be dealt with. Don't get coy here. Simple rule of thumb. If your post would better fit in the locked "Politics of COVID" thread (RIP) it should NOT be posted here.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat May 30, 2020 11:09 pm 
SEATTLE EPIDEMIOLOGIST FINDS SPIKE OF CORONAVIRUS CASES IN THOSE UNDER AGE 40 The thing about this article that affects us here in nwhikers is that the thumbnail for the video is a bunch of hikers on Rattlesnake Ledge. (?) This kind of publicity is bad for keeping trails open. Quick reminder, if you're going to go hiking please consider going to less popular places. It's for your protection, not getting sick, for other people's if you're an asymptomatic carrier, and it's to not contribute to getting the mountains closed again.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun May 31, 2020 8:20 am 
reopening is way way to soon...the state has reported 12 new infections over the weekend

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun May 31, 2020 8:32 am 
Spokane County is having difficulties--not to mention the positive testing drunk driving guy who may have spread it around. Our positive tests were 3 for last week and all in the south part of the county, where the packing sheds and huge orchards are.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun May 31, 2020 1:14 pm 
Here's some guidelines for activities that I thought was worth sharing, from NPR: From Camping To Dining Out: Here's How Experts Rate The Risks Of 14 Summer Activities

graywolf

graywolf
PostSun May 31, 2020 1:49 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Here's some guidelines for activities that I thought was worth sharing, from NPR: From Camping To Dining Out: Here's How Experts Rate The Risks Of 14 Summer Activities
I saw that earlier, and I like the mantra: "time, space, people, place". It's an easy way to remind yourself to keep your situational awareness turned on.

The only easy day was yesterday...
half fast

half fast
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 7:31 am 
Schroder wrote:
From Camping To Dining Out: Here's How Experts Rate The Risks Of 14 Summer Activities
up.gif up.gif Thank you for posting this!

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
xman_reborn

xman_reborn
PostFri Jun 05, 2020 6:54 pm 
bump. Any updates?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jun 05, 2020 9:08 pm 
Due to covid, Microsoft is allowing a 90 day extension for red badges who started before 4/1/2020. That's me. I was expecting to have to find a new job in July, I'll be gainfully employed and working from home until mid October. Then I can go chase larches on weekdays. smile.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jun 05, 2020 9:57 pm 
xman_reborn wrote:
bump. Any updates?
Yea, the epidemic is over, bars, restaurants, beauty parlors and dog groomers opened today, the riots are winding down, what will the miscreants come up with next?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jun 06, 2020 9:59 am 
Spokane's rate doubled yesterday. Our county also has more positive tests. Nearly all in the south part. The way people here are acting, it must be over. Hardly any facemask wearing, parties, protests no monitoring of how many people are entering Home Depot anymore. Kind of sad, during the demonstration, unmasked men with guns attended, not social distancing, all in the name of safety. Irony at its best.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Jun 08, 2020 12:41 pm 
I am seeing some confusing commentary on asymptomatic spread of the Covid-19 virus. There was an article today in CNBC with a WHO spokesperson announcing that asymptomatic spread was rarer than believed. But there is too much disagreement on this. Here's a Twitter thread if you want to see the discussion. Eric Topol's main post here with details. ~z

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jun 11, 2020 10:08 pm 
Beyonce is providing free covid testing in King County. https://mynorthwest.com/1934905/beyonce-coronavirus-testing-king-county/amp/

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jun 12, 2020 7:44 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
red badges
Is that sort of like a red shirted ensign? I recall Blue and Orange -- but not red -- is this a new category or a color vision thing? I left the hive mind in 2015...

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Jun 12, 2020 11:28 am 
There's an article in Barrons about the recent announcement/misstep by the CDC on asymptomatic spreading. We Ran the CDC. Here’s How to Talk to the Public in a Health Crisis. Here's a quote, more in the short article linked above: With just a few words uttered during a media briefing in Geneva on Monday, the World Health Organization’s technical lead for coronavirus response sent a lightning bolt of doubt around the globe as to how transmission might occur during this pandemic. When Maria Van Kerkhove walked back her statement about asymptomatic transmission a day later, noting that how often people without symptoms spread the disease “is a major unknown,” the damage already had been done. Communication failures like this, and the muted voice and ignored expertise of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention during this pandemic, undermine the institutions we need and can have a dramatic impact on people’s health. Without trust, transparency, and truth, public health officials and government leaders will struggle to inform people and drive behaviors to serve the greater good. The CDC—an agency we each ran during a public health emergency—is a science-driven organization loaded with dedicated and talented public servants who surely understand the value of communication at a time like this. In both Democratic and Republican administrations, clear and active public health communications have become expected and encouraged—a norm that has served our country well. ~z