Forum Index > Trail Talk > Everest - A year on from the loss of 11 people on the world’s highest mountain, survivors talk about
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSat Jun 06, 2020 8:14 pm 
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/06/everyone-is-in-that-fine-line-between-death-and-life-inside-everests-deadliest-queue Article begins with an interview of Nirmal Purja - the climber that took the photo of the infamous conga line traffic jam at the top of Everest last May. I remember posting that photo here a year ago, and the sheer disbelief at the sight. Memory has someone, maybe Anne Elk, wondering if it was a manipulated image, a photoshopped picture.

Off trail rambler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jun 07, 2020 11:33 am 
Amelia Gentleman, reporting for The Guardian wrote:
The deaths were not caused by the queue itself, they argue, but a different problem: the rising numbers of inexperienced climbers who view Everest as the ultimate selfie destination, and the proliferation of companies willing to take their money and let them have a go, regardless of their ability.
Lacking the proposed changes in regulations by the Nepalese government, more and more people will die on the mountain.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostMon Jun 08, 2020 9:01 am 
Everest is kind of like Burning Man. Fascinating, attracts lot's of people. I wouldn't mind going there in principal, but won't because of the the practical considerations.