Forum Index > Trip Reports > 6/2/2020 McClellan Peak and Little Annapurna
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike
PostSat Jun 06, 2020 10:39 am 
Been lingering on the Bulger list for years now. This Year I have decided to focus solely on those peaks and see how far I can get toward completion. With trails just starting to open and snow still lingering high up, McClellan and Little Annapurna felt like a good start to my ambitions. The trail up to Colchuck lake was snow-free and easy to hike. The reflection of Dragontail and Colchuck in the lake was magnificent.
View 1 Colchuck Lake Trail
View 1 Colchuck Lake Trail
Colchuck Lake Trail
Colchuck Lake Trail
Colchuck Lake
Colchuck Lake
While walking around Colchuck Lake, I was lost in my thoughts, came around a corner and was nearly face to face with a mountain goat. I was close enough to hear it chewing. I slowly backed up and then like a tourist snapped this photo for my memories.
Mountain Goat
Mountain Goat
The Climb Up Aasgard pass was tough at first. Mostly due to the mix of snow and rock fields down low right now. Once I reached the lingering snow in the middle of the gulley crampons made it much easier to ascend the icy snow. If you don't have crampons or other traction I would avoid the pass for now. Let it melt out some more
Aasgard Pass
Aasgard Pass
Aasgard Snowfield
Aasgard Snowfield
I made it into the Core Enchantments basin within 3 hours of leaving the trailhead. I was ecstatic to finally see my two objectives for the day.
McClellan Peak first view
McClellan Peak first view
Little Annapurna First View
Little Annapurna First View
Enchanments Basin Core
Enchanments Basin Core
The snow in the basin was still nice and hard as I made my way over to perfection lake. Luckily, with the amount of snow still lingering I did not have to go all the way to Leprechaun lake as most trip reports I had read stated. Instead, I was able to traverse around the edge of Perfection Lake and make a beeline for the west face of McClellan
Perfection Lake
Perfection Lake
McClellan Traverse Pillar
McClellan Traverse Pillar
Making my way across the face of it was easy. I was ecstatic once I arrived to see that the first small scramble section had melted out. Then disheartened when I crested it and saw how much further there still is to go.
McClellan Scramble Route
McClellan Scramble Route
McClellan Snowfield
McClellan Snowfield
McClellan Summit Spire
McClellan Summit Spire
Being able to see the entire enchantments laid out below me was quite an experience from a summit.
Snow Lakes
Snow Lakes
Enchanments Pano McClellan Peak
Enchanments Pano McClellan Peak
Summit Photo McClellan
Summit Photo McClellan
From the top, my next objective was quite clearly laid out and gave me a sense of biting off more than I could chew. But, I headed toward it anyway to see if I could get it done.
Little Annapurna From McClellan
Little Annapurna From McClellan
The descent to Perfection Lake and reascent to the bottom of Little Annapurna took only around an hour and a half. I felt encouraged, but at the same time, I could see a storm moving in from the east. (Photo below is a Prussik Peak, Not Enchantment Peak) -
Enchanment Spire From Perfection Lake
Cloud Formations
Cloud Formations
I managed to make it to the top of Little Annapurna just as a strong wind was kicking up. It was strong enough that I could barely hold my phone to snap pictures and it made me sway back and forth. It was starting to rain and I was beginning to fear that I might be going down Aasgard in the dark if I lingered much longer.
Little Annapurna Summit Block
Little Annapurna Summit Block
Little Annapurna Summit Pano
Little Annapurna Summit Pano
Little Annapurna East Pano
Little Annapurna East Pano
I did manage to make it back down before it got dark, but, the wind only got stronger. Several times descending the snowfield on Aasgard I had to lay down to keep the wind from pushing me over. This is the cloud I was walking through for about an hour and a half.
Storm Over Dragontail
Storm Over Dragontail
All said and done, It took me from 4:30 am until 9:00 pm to complete both in a single day. If my map is correct it was about 22 miles and 7000 ft of elevation gain for the entire day. 11 Bulgers Down and just 89 left to go. McClellan and Little Annapurna at hike2hike.com

[Mountains] are the cathedrals where I practice my religion - Anatoli Boukreev Hike2Hike.com, because we all just live from Hike to Hike.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostSat Jun 06, 2020 11:04 am 
TheWaterboy wrote:
Nice work! This is Prusik Peak. smile.gif

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike
PostSat Jun 06, 2020 11:22 am 
Lol. Thank you. Too many in the basin for me to keep straight apparently. embarassedlaugh.gif I'll update it

[Mountains] are the cathedrals where I practice my religion - Anatoli Boukreev Hike2Hike.com, because we all just live from Hike to Hike.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Jun 07, 2020 8:42 am 
When I climbed McClellan I found the summit register in a talus field below the summit. I thought that lightning may have sent it there. Was the metal register in place back on top where I replaced it?

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike
PostSun Jun 07, 2020 11:40 am 
I looked around everywhere thinking there would be one but couldn't find it. Figured it would be easy to locate with how small the summit is. Even moving rocks did not produce one though. I briefly checked the scree fields down below thinking maybe snowmelt had carried it away somewhere. But, no dice...

neek

neek
PostSun Jun 07, 2020 12:46 pm 
Enjoyed reading the full report you linked to. Good to know snowshoes are still useful. The first time I hiked late (checked in around 2am) my wife freaked out, but after that she learned not to start worrying until the next day. Some other family members OTOH...

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike
PostSun Jun 07, 2020 1:24 pm 
Thanks for checking out my site Neek. Glad you enjoyed the read! I'm slowly conditioning them (family) to the idea that I may be late. But, none of them are hikers and so they always seem to go blank when I say things like "22 miles, long day, back late at night". Time will get them there though....someday tongue.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Jun 07, 2020 11:06 pm 
Great pictures. I've been up there a few times, but never when it's been like that. I think of the same place as the first view, too, so that made me chuckle.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Jun 08, 2020 6:06 pm 
TheWaterboy wrote:
face to face with a mountain goat. I was close enough to hear it chewing.
He was just welcoming you to the ' chants'. When they are really close, they are either standing on your sleeping bag with you in it (true!), or licking the pee out of the air as it falls ( slight exagg.).

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still