Forum Index > Gear Talk > Raincoat?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostWed May 20, 2020 8:56 pm 
I am continually disappointed by raincoats from REI being unable to withstand a decent rain. Plus, most of their jackets have a way too tight cut, apparently for fashion's sake. A large is often too big, and a medium too tight to do any layering. Anyone have any suggestions? This would be for backpacking and backcountry canoe trips and hopefully stand up to serious rain. A gasket on the sleeve would be extra cool for paddling and fishing to keep the rain out of my sleeve.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri May 22, 2020 7:37 am 
One option is to bite the bullet and get something from ArcTeryx and keep it well treated with DWR. They make high quality jackets and stand behind their products with a good warranty. Expensive, yes, but you may not have to bite the bullet too hard since last years models are currently being discounted, not to mention all the memorial day sales going on now. I have the ArcTeryx Beta Light. It is a bomber jacket with lots of features, comes in at around 12 ounces and packs down relatively compact.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostFri May 22, 2020 4:55 pm 
Thanks HiT, that looks like a swell jacket.

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostFri May 22, 2020 5:44 pm 
I think it has more to do with the fabric and less to do with any 1 brand in particular. I’ve had awesome Arc’teryx jackets and I’ve had horrible Arc’teryx jackets. Most of the e-Vent 3-layer and GoreTex 3-layer stuff has been good. Most of the 2.5-layer or less has always sucked. One of the Arc’teryx 2.5-layer “GoreTex Paclite” jackets I had was the worst jacket I’ve ever had; awesome design, great pockets, great hood, horribly wet and clammy. Current fav is an REI “Rhyolite” jacket which I got on clearance for $80 a few years ago. It’s made out of a 3-layer e-vent fabric and has been great.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri May 22, 2020 6:04 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
One option is to bite the bullet and get something from ArcTeryx and keep it well treated with DWR. They make high quality jackets and stand behind their products with a good warranty.
I had a Beta AR, I've had it so long I don't remember how long I've had it. I have a photo of me in it from 12 years ago. It's come on every backpacking trip I've done, so many nasty weather hikes, skiing, some bushwacking and even some sport climbing in the Icicle. I've worn it in July to hide from mosquitoes. I wash it regularly, DWR it as appropriate, and store it hanging up. It looked like new until the hem tore, which I think was my fault. I took it to the store asking if I could pay to have it repaired. They told me sometimes very old jackets delaminate, and that mine was a warranty issue. They replaced it for free and paid for 2 day shipping to get the new one to me. They told me the way their warranty works, owners have the right to exchange it (once) for any jacket Arc makes, they want you to be happy. The only negative thing I have to say about their warranty is the jacket isn't available in as nice a blue as I had.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri May 22, 2020 8:11 pm 
BTW, I also own an Arc Alpha (probably the most high end extreme weather jacket they made at the time). It has been my ski jacket for the past 10 years and is starting to lose its color from washing and re-waterproofing. It is still as functional as the day I bought it. I replaced it with a Beta because it was too heavy for backpacking but mainly because the 50 year old ski lift pulleys at Mission ridge dripped grease on the shoulders so bad they are permanently stained. Now I just use it for foul weather day hikes.

robertjoy

robertjoy
PostTue Jun 09, 2020 4:57 pm 
I recently did a lot of research and "discovered" that Outdoor Research has a jacket that is cut for layering, is 3-layer, has pit-zips, very light and soft stretch fabric, AscentShell proprietary waterproof/breathable layer has had great reviews. Google OR Guardian rain shell for more info. Currenlty $90 at steepandcheap.com

Mosquitoes refuse to bite me, purely out of respect.
josh_pnw

josh_pnw
PostTue Jun 09, 2020 11:35 pm 
I had a three layer eVent jacket once and no matter what I did to care for it, it would frequently wet out and be completely worthless. I’ve had an Arctery’x Beta AR for about ten years now and it’s held up great with regular cleaning and reapplying DWR. I’m confident the degree of weatherproofing is the same now as it was new. I also have a Patagonia M10 jacket in their three layer H2NO fabric that’s been discontinued. It breathes great and is just as waterproof as my Arcteryx at a fraction of the weight and packing size. It is a lighter fabric so, I can’t comment on the ten year durability quite yet though. I’m not sure what, if anything, Patagonia has replaced it with.

Ad Alta!!
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 10, 2020 7:57 am 
HitTheTrail wrote:
50 year old ski lift pulleys at Mission ridge dripped grease on the shoulders so bad they are permanently stained.
Old ski instructor trick: Apply Crisco to grease stains before laundering ski jacket stained with bearing grease.

Gil

Gil
PostSat Jun 13, 2020 7:32 am 
I'm still using the Teva eVent jacket that some of us got off Steep and Cheap for $50 more than 10 years ago. It was so good that I bought another and held onto that to replace the first when it started to wear out. I finally got it out last year. I would definitely consider another eVent jacket based on that experience.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini