Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trail Recommendations for Kids' First Backpacking Trip Near Portland
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cvattiat1

cvattiat1
PostThu Jun 11, 2020 10:01 am 
I'm an experienced backpacker, but this will be our first trip with kids ages 8 and 10. Ideally, we're looking for a hike of about three miles each way, less than 2 hours from Portland, and where we can have a campfire. I was considering Serene Lake but hear the road there is treacherous. The other option was Burnt Lake, but it sounds like a crowded spot, and campfires are not allowed. Does anyone have other suggestions that may fit these criteria? Thanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tomlike

Tomlike
PostThu Jun 11, 2020 10:14 am 
Badger Creek trail on the east side of Mt Hood is great, many campsites along the creek starting about .5 mile from the trail head Salmon River trail would also work, although probably more crowded.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostThu Jun 11, 2020 12:03 pm 
Check out Indian Heaven Wilderness. The trails there are fairly moderate with lots of small lakes to camp at. That's where I went with my younger one for his first backpacking trip.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Jun 11, 2020 12:37 pm 
I second the Indian Heaven suggestion. Super easy for kids, but it can be very popular so expect company.

cvattiat1

cvattiat1
PostThu Jun 11, 2020 1:04 pm 
One thing I forgot to mention is that our trip is planned for next week, so we need somewhere that will not be snow-covered at this point.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jun 11, 2020 2:18 pm 
CAVEAT: I have not been here myself, but I have heard good things about this one, and comments to the effect that it was somewhat "kid friendly". NO idea about fire regulations. Siouxon Creek Trail https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Siouxon_Creek_Hike https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/siouxon https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/giffordpinchot/recarea/?recid=31636

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
cvattiat1

cvattiat1
PostThu Jun 11, 2020 2:44 pm 
Thanks, everyone, for these suggestions. I'll look into them. If anyone has additional suggestions, I'd take those too!

cvattiat1

cvattiat1
PostThu Jun 11, 2020 9:48 pm 
I had a chance to look at each of your recommendations and they all look great! Now I have a difficult decision to make! Thanks, again!

cvattiat1

cvattiat1
PostFri Jun 12, 2020 1:13 pm 
Indian Heaven is snow-covered at this point. Siouxon Creek and Badger Creek look like good options, however, I think we'd prefer to stay at a lake. Does anyone have feedback on Twin Lakes Trail #495? This seems like a good option too.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostFri Jun 12, 2020 5:11 pm 
Indian Heaven is better late season. It's mosquito heaven in early season. smile.gif

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostFri Jun 12, 2020 5:15 pm 
A little further (3 hour drive from Portland) and you could get to Packwood Lake. 4 miles in, 100 ft gain I think... Not as close, but a great trip for kids and a cool lake with an island in the middle.