Forum Index > Trail Talk > Icicle Road is appartently open now
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri May 22, 2020 10:30 am 
My brother was hiking up the Icicle today and saw the FS opening the gate. He talked to the guy and was told the road will be open to the end all summer. He also said the road to Colchuck/Stuart TH is being worked on and will be closed for a few weeks but will open after that.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri May 22, 2020 11:04 am 
Thanks for the news, HitTheTrail! Icicle Road is a lovely bike ride, especially this time of year when it's warm and sunny below, but the mountains are snow capped.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri May 22, 2020 11:15 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Icicle Road is a lovely bike ride, especially this time of year when it's warm and sunny below, but the mountains are snow capped.
He also said it was snowing fairly hard up on Icicle ridge.

rossb

rossb
PostFri May 22, 2020 11:47 am 
Mountain Loop Highway is apparently open as well. I regret not trying to bike it the last week or two. I think a lot of the roads there were closed to protect against the virus are now open. Hopefully people act responsibly.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri May 22, 2020 12:02 pm 
I saw that on FB, and almost went up there today, but ended up with a scratchy throat this morning. Maybe I'll take the kids up there next week when the weather turns a little nicer during the middle of the week.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
neek

neek
PostFri May 22, 2020 12:43 pm 
rossb wrote:
Mountain Loop Highway is apparently open as well. I regret not trying to bike it the last week or two. I think a lot of the roads there were closed to protect against the virus are now open. Hopefully people act responsibly.
Same here, oops. Maybe I'll still ride it on a weekday. With lodging and campgrounds still scarce, this weekend could be nuts with people trying to car camp on forest roads. Glad I'm staying home.

dixon

dixon
PostFri May 22, 2020 12:53 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
He also said the road to Colchuck/Stuart TH is being worked on and will be closed for a few weeks but will open after that.
Any word if they are expanding parking? I have Cashmere left on my list and regret not doing it before Instagram and the area becoming mobbed. Anyone approached the mountain from FR76 as looks doable from area maps especially with snowcover.

gb

gb
PostFri May 22, 2020 1:24 pm 
Hiker Mama wrote:
I saw that on FB, and almost went up there today, but ended up with a scratchy throat this morning. Maybe I'll take the kids up there next week when the weather turns a little nicer during the middle of the week.
Nicer probably but hotter for sure Wed PM but especially Thursday and Friday. Start early.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri May 22, 2020 1:57 pm 
dixon wrote:
Anyone approached the mountain from FR76
You could always go in by way of Jack Creek via the Trout Lake trail then up to Windy Pass.

dixon

dixon
PostFri May 22, 2020 3:30 pm 
Thanks for the details Jeff/HitTheTrail. Glad to know that the mobs haven't affected this area too badly, I will report back if I get out there with an update for 2020 smile.gif The Windy Pass route looks interesting although the ~3 extra miles but all extra training right smile.gif Not great about Ticks however, I was out in the Beverley Creek area last week and caught several ticks on me during the day and had to keep flicking them off. Luckily they were big enough that I could see them.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostFri May 22, 2020 3:31 pm 
Going backpacking on Memorial Day is like going to an Irish Pub on St. Patrick's Day: total amateur hour. I don't bemoan people being outdoors, but I don't necessarily want to hike or camp near them. There is an old report of climbing Cashmere on here from that approach if I'm not mistaken. Windy Pass is an easy approach if the snow isn't bad, but the north side has murderously loose scree in my recollection, so I wouldn't want to climb all the way up that.

Downhill

Downhill
PostFri May 22, 2020 5:10 pm 
Yup - gate just opened today. I saw that Bridge Creek and Eightmile Campgrounds are both closed so I presume all the CGs in the valley are closed upriver as well. This has been a bad year for ticks, just based on my anecdotal assessment (really mild winter without long periods below freezing??). And the 8-mile/mountaineer creek road to Stuart, Colchuck, 8-Mile is still closed per prior post. I've done the Cashmere approach from the Trout creek/lake side and while it is very straight forward, the views along the route are subpar compared to the 8-mile approach IMO. Depending on how soon the USFS plans to open the road to 8-mile and if the access and parking becomes a CF like last year, I'd be inclined to wait, just for the scenic considerations.

dixon

dixon
PostSat Jun 13, 2020 8:09 pm 
Jeff wrote:
So my annecdotal experience is that Instagram and mobs have not affected the experience at all.
I saw this posted r.e Eightmile Road from last weekend 6/8, not even memorial day ... shakehead.gif https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=563767051181295 https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2020-06-13-7386275129

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Jun 17, 2020 6:12 pm 
My wife wanted to try a short flat valley hike so we went up the Icicle today. There is some construction just past the Snow Lakes TH (they are finally filling some of the pot holes in that road). We saw very few cars on the road all the way to the Icicle TH. Two cars at the 4th of July TH and a couple at Chatter Cr TH was about it. No cars at the Jack cr/Trout TH but we did see a young couple with two dogs starting up the trail. They must have been camping at the Rock Island CG. The only vehicle at the main Icicle TH was a FS truck. We saw nobody going in and out on our hike to French Cr. As we were driving back just before noon there were a few cars coming in. All in all it was rather subdued. I also drove up and checked out the boot path to Sylvester Lake. The road tread is ok but the last quarter mile is getting car scratch narrow with brush/trees.