Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wolf Sighting
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Jun 14, 2020 7:38 pm 
Wife and I out on our mountain bikes. We leaned the bikes up against a tree and started down a trail. I heard a faint chirp / squeal / cry. Sounded like a Osprey or other raptor. I looked up to the sky and saw nothing. I heard it again ( louder ) This time it sounded different and motioned to my wife to be silent ( I did that politely because if you want a happy marriage, you should never shoosh your wife )We then heard it again and we could tell it was getting closer. A elk calf was racing through the woods from our left and going to cross the path in front of us. It was clearly frightened and calling out a distress call. ( Similar to this )
On it heels was a black wolf. The two crossed the path directly in front of us about 75 feet away. The calf continued it's distress call. We hustled up the trail where they crossed hoping to see a struggle. We ventured into the forest but couldn't find anything. We stood and listened and then heard some noise behind us. Mama cow elk standing there searching for her calf. She circled around us and ventured into the forest in the direction her calf was chased. Probably a once in a lifetime experience

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostSun Jun 14, 2020 8:03 pm 
Wow! What a moment.

Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Jun 14, 2020 8:25 pm 
Intense capture! Thanks for sharing!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jun 14, 2020 9:04 pm 
Where was this at?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Jun 14, 2020 9:30 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Where was this at?
Roslyn / Ronald outskirts

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Jun 16, 2020 9:56 am 
That is SWEET!!! I feel a little bad for the elks but the pups gotta eat.

gb

gb
PostTue Jun 16, 2020 10:51 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Wife and I out on our mountain bikes. We leaned the bikes up against a tree and started down a trail. I heard a faint chirp / squeal / cry. Sounded like a Osprey or other raptor. I looked up to the sky and saw nothing. I heard it again ( louder ) This time it sounded different and motioned to my wife to be silent ( I did that politely because if you want a happy marriage, you should never shoosh your wife )We then heard it again and we could tell it was getting closer. A elk calf was racing through the woods from our left and going to cross the path in front of us. It was clearly frightened and calling out a distress call. ( Similar to this )
On it heels was a black wolf. The two crossed the path directly in front of us about 75 feet away. The calf continued it's distress call. We hustled up the trail where they crossed hoping to see a struggle. We ventured into the forest but couldn't find anything. We stood and listened and then heard some noise behind us. Mama cow elk standing there searching for her calf. She circled around us and ventured into the forest in the direction her calf was chased. Probably a once in a lifetime experience
Great that you didn't identify the location!