Forum Index > Trail Talk > Please Use Extreme Caution if headed to McCellan's Butte! ((Target Shooters))
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Jun 05, 2020 12:03 pm 
forest gnome wrote:
I SHOULD OF SNUCK OVER AT 4M AND UNTIED THEIR HORSES...th en led them back down the trail...
Edward Abbey is smiling right now!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jun 05, 2020 12:25 pm 
Brucester wrote:
I've yet to hear back from the FS. I'll try them again tomorrow.
Good luck with that. I tried several times to find out how to obtain a wood cutting permit, called the Ranger Station in Darrington, left messages, no call back. Finally gave up and drove 40+ miles to the RS and obtained one. Good news is they are free now instead of 20 bucks, they are also not enforcing or charging to hike from established TH's. The Ranger lady was on the phone for about 15 minutes when I arrived, so pretty sure their phones are blowing up and they are over-whelmed.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Jun 05, 2020 8:30 pm 
Whos Edward abbey..? huh.gif JUST KIDDIN..I know he's a famous painter.. paranoid.gif

nordique

nordique
PostSat Jun 06, 2020 7:14 am 
When I had similar issues, years ago, I was told by a friend of mine on the force to call 911 ASAP and report the location. My hiking group was subjected to automatic weapons fire while descending from a hike. It took a lot of yelling for us to get the shooting to stop. This is back in the days before cell phones. The only previous time I'd come under fire was in Vietnam, in 1968, when I was targeted by a sniper on the first day of the Tet Offensive. It's why I need a crutch in order to hike at all nowadays.

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostSat Jun 06, 2020 10:05 am 
Talked yesterday to a Forest Service Law Enforcement Officer and relayed this conversation. He said he would make sure the rest of the LEOs know, but as of right now, there are only two LEOs covering the Snoqualmie and Skykomish Ranger Districts and they are also covering sections of Olympic National Forest. He said to remind folks that if you see something like this, get license plate numbers and record the time and date. They can do something with license plates, but just general descriptions of people (big guy wearing jeans and a camo jacket holding a gun) is of no use... If you see something like this, call 911 and ask them to relay to Forest Service Law enforcement.

mayumi

mayumi
PostSun Jun 07, 2020 6:19 pm 
I'm sorry to hear this happened. That must've been terrifying. A few years ago, we were hiking down Humpback and there was a group of people shooting up the forest, across where the trail/road crossed. There were several other parties hiking around and a woman with her kid looking for rocks for a geology project. And just a few weeks ago, we saw a group shooting up a road we had just driven down - a spur road off the N. Fork Snoqualmie River Road, near Bare Mountain/Phelps area. We missed them by about 15 minutes. Had we been later, they would've been shooting directly at us as we drove back down the road. It seems like a common issue. Next time we will try to get pictures/license plate numbers, but oftentimes I'm too appalled to have the presence of mind to do that.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jun 07, 2020 7:41 pm 
It also gets popular hiking areas closed off bigly example is the Perseus Climbing route of US 2.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Jun 08, 2020 3:55 pm 
nordique wrote:
Vietnam, in 1968
Thank you for your service!

Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Jun 14, 2020 10:50 pm 
Last week at the 'quarry...