Forum Index > Trip Reports > Clark (incomplete) 6/13/2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostSun Jun 14, 2020 7:41 am 
If you're going to climb Clark, it's best to start before 11:30 AM. And maybe don't pick a day when you know it will be buried in a cloud. Also, if you take the shepherd's trail route, have more than a vague idea of where the key gulley is along the ridge. At least I did one thing right: the route seems to be in great shape now, as long as you don't mind a little bit of steep and exposed snow. I hope to be back soon to finish, before the notorious mosquitoes hatch. Just a few items of note. The White River and Boulder Creek trails are in good shape, with only a few small trees down. The Boulder Creek at 4100' is knee-deep, frigid, and moving fast. Crossing it will remind you that you are alive. There are snow bridges across the upper crossing around 5000', but they are getting thin so be careful. Don't bother trying to find the shepherd's trail now since it's nearly completely buried; take a more direct approach. Meet the ridge around 6900' and proceed along its crest to 7300', where the bootpath ends and an obvious slope angles down. That's about as far as I got. I went down maybe 100', facing in and using an ice axe self belay because the runout was quite bad in spots. A bit of slow contouring on steep snow would have followed that, and then presumably a nice step-kicking walk to the summit. But it was nearly 7:00 and time to turn around. The days are so long now that I was only on lamp for the last half hour or so. Overall a great and much needed hike. No people, no bugs, no views...
White River
White River
Fairyslipper
Fairyslipper
Mushrooms
Mushrooms
Fungus
Fungus
Yellow paintbrush
Yellow paintbrush
Boulder Creek along White River trail - good log bridge here
Boulder Creek along White River trail - good log bridge here
Someone lose a brain?
Someone lose a brain?
Glacier lilies were the main attraction along the Boulder Creek trail
Glacier lilies were the main attraction along the Boulder Creek trail
At 5000', looking back down the valley
At 5000', looking back down the valley
Red snow and cloud ceiling of doom
Red snow and cloud ceiling of doom
On the ridge
On the ridge
Looking down on the White River
Looking down on the White River
Red lichen
Red lichen
Descending the ridge
Descending the ridge
False hellebore
False hellebore
Point 6435 in the distance. Behind it is Airplane Lake
Point 6435 in the distance. Behind it is Airplane Lake
Deer
Deer

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Jun 14, 2020 12:15 pm 
Nice photos!

I desire medium danger williswall.com
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostSun Jun 14, 2020 6:52 pm 
I failed on Clark a couple of weeks ago. Got to the same spot. The downclimb with steep very solid snow and terrible runout. I bet when this melts out the downclimb won't be so bad. Boulder creek was high and moving so fast that i didn't manage to cross it. I bashed through the slide alder on the West side f the creek.

neek

neek
PostSun Jun 14, 2020 7:03 pm 
MangyMarmot wrote:
I failed on Clark a couple of weeks ago. Got to the same spot. The downclimb with steep very solid snow and terrible runout. I bet when this melts out the downclimb won't be so bad. Boulder creek was high and moving so fast that i didn't manage to cross it. I bashed through the slide alder on the West side f the creek.
saw your peakbagger entry. snow was soft enough this time (although yeah, bad runout) for me to get down the worst of it without crampons. i looked at that slide alder and said no way, i'm fording the creek! which was probably a lot worse a few weeks ago. if it ever stops raining i'll give it another try (plus lauhna possibly). certainly no problem without snow but then the bugs are out!

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostSun Jun 14, 2020 11:07 pm 
I’ve been in that gully a couple times. The first time I did Clark it was melted out and trivial. The second time was on a Dakobed Traverse in early July and it was partially melted out and sketttccchhyy. I love the long days right now, absolute favorite time of the year.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Jun 15, 2020 8:05 am 
Your brain mushroom is gyromitra esculenta, they pop up everywhere right now! You are super brave to do Clark early with this much snow. I hiked clark+luahna in autumn, and it was like the hardest hike ever for me.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jun 15, 2020 12:22 pm 
Fantastic as always. This TR seems maybe a little more cinematic than normal, the waterfall and the watermelon snow pics set things up to look like a dark, foreboding kind of day.