Forum Index > Trip Reports > Unemployment Peakbagging Roadtrip ~ Late May / Early June 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostMon Jun 15, 2020 2:18 pm 
Spring weather in Washington has been as fickle as ever this year. With Jake and I both unemployed due to the pandemic, we decided to hit the road. Our plans were fluid, we just wanted to go find some sun and bag some peaks. He picked me up in Queen Anne on the evening of May 19th and after packing up his truck, we were off! We drove all the way to the trailhead for Mt McLoughlin that evening, hoping a less-than-ideal forecast might bring motivationally clear skies for a morning ascent. It didnt, so we continued south into California and sunny weather at last. Driving down the 395 towards Reno, we were eager to turn a red dot green, so we made a quick drive up Likely Mountain for our first peak of the trip. The 20 yard walk to the true summit was comedically treacherous due to ice chunks being blown off the radio towers by the wind. We shielded ourselves with tote lids. Later that afternoon we decided to hike up the Petersen Mountains Highpoint, NV (P 2500) just NW of Reno for an afternoon leg stretcher. Nice little hike.
Round Top, CA ~ May 21, 2020 The next day, we were going to climb Freel Peak near South Lake Tahoe, but the south slopes looked unattractively bare. A peak to our south caught our eye as looking to be a good ski so we decided to do that instead. We parked at Carson Pass and skinned most of the way to the summit of Round Top but eventually ditched out skis and booted the last quarter mile to the top. The standard class 3 route was covered in sketchy looking melting away rime, so we bypassed it with a few unexposed 5.6 moves. Nice views of the Northern Sierra and a good ski descent.
The next day we continued east across northern Nevada. We wanted to hike up Star Peak but it was raining so we kept going. We drove up Winnemucca Mountain to kill some time. Nice views of the area and some really cool Cold War Relics on top! That evening we drove up Elko Mountain and slept near the top. It was cold and we got some snow showers during our nightly game of pig skin toss. The next day the weather improved drastically and we had our first biggish day planned. Ruby Dome, the highpoint of The Ruby Mountains and only DPS peak of the trip. Ruby Dome, NV ~ May 23, 2020 On the short drive to the trailhead for Ruby Dome, the big debate of the morning was skis or snowshoes? Eager for more turns, we chose the heavier option. Was it worth it? Not at the time but it was in retrospect! You have to pass through a private campground and firing range to get to the trailhead which adds an extra mile and a half or so to the walk. We werent sure of the legality of passing through here without permission but no one approached us.
The Ruby Range
The Ruby Range
bovine
bovine
setting out
setting out
The hike from the trailhead to Griswold Lake was really nice. It began with a beautiful aspen forest that opened up several hundred feet below the lake. We thought we could finally begin the skin at the lake but the skinning was terrible so we kept on booting.
stoked
stoked
Another 1000 ft above the lake, we could finally skin. Wonderful alpine terrain up there. The standard route to the col to the right (west) of the summit was blocked by a large cornice, so we skinned up to the east col and dropped skis. The final 400 feet to the summit was treacherous with 18+ inches of fresh snow that had recently fallen on previously melted out talus. It made for slow going but we eventually got up there. Killer place!
The ski down through the upper basin was amazing and we managed to survival ski all the way down to the lake, bases be damned!
tracks
tracks
Griswold Lake
Griswold Lake
almost done
almost done
looking back
looking back
That night we drove all the way to Salt Lake City where we would meet Jake Robinson and Salena for a climb up Everest Ridge on Mount Timpanogos. Mount Timpanogos ~ Everest Ridge ~ May 24, 2020 Jake and I arrived late to the trailhead that night. It seemed to be some sort of hangout for the local teenagers and was an unpleasant spot to sleep. We got started before 7am for the 6500 ft of gain from there to the summit in less than 5 miles. This route is STEEP!
hiking into the Wasatch
hiking into the Wasatch
gorgeous morning
gorgeous morning
some scrambling
some scrambling
As we neared the crux of the route, some clouds blew in and limited our visibility. We got some weird beta off of summitpost that suggested that the first crux step was followed by a harder second. We all agreed that the first crux was low 5th, about 20 feet high, and a fall would be very bad. This gave us a lot of pause. We didnt want to risk climbing the first crux only to be turned around at the second...
There is a snow bypass to this crux step but it was also a no-go for us with bullet proof snow. Jake Aldrich put the trip on his back when we volunteered to go check it out.
not going this way.
not going this way.
Timp crux
Timp crux
Aldrich reported so upper crux and was soon on the summit. We all followed suit. There is one short class 3 step above the crux. Its exposed but easy. Bad beta from summitpost?? You dont say!
Robinson and Selena coming up the crux
Robinson and Selena coming up the crux
Timp summitshot
Timp summitshot
Cold and limited views from the summit, we didnt linger long. The descent was a knee buster. We hiked up and over Big Baldy on the way down for a bonus red to green conversion.
looking back
looking back
Mount Nebo ~ May 25, 2020 The next day, we all decided to go do the other Ultra of the Wasatch, Mount Nebo. We got a late start and set out from the trailhead shortly after a group of skiers.
Nebo from the trailhead
Nebo from the trailhead
We hiked up and over the north peak, then on nice snow up and over Wolf Pass Peak and to the summit. We had one short section of firm snow right below the summit. Wonderful weather and views.
Back at the trailhead, we parted ways with Jake R and Selena and went down to town for dinner. We then grabbed some watered down Utah beer and headed back up The Mount Nebo Highway to camp. The next morning we drove to Idaho for a failed attempt on Borah the following day. We vowed to return when conditions improved. Thompson Peak ~ May 29, 2020 After a couple days of resting at JakeR's pad in Sun Valley, we headed out early on the morning of the 29th for Thompson Peak, highest of the ID Sawtooths. Just short of 13 miles and 4700 feet of gain, nice trip, nice weather, nice views of a new area.
Lost River Mountain ~ May 30, 2020 There was a little debate of what to do the next day. As I needed to be back in Sun Valley early to meet up with Julia and Rebecca, who were coming out from Seattle to hang out. I suggested The Super Gully on Lost River Mountain. Gaining 4800 ft in less than 2.5 miles, this route is short and sweet. Our first peak of the trip where we were joined by a lot of other people on route.
The Super Gully
The Super Gully
Hyndman Peak ~ June 1-3, 2020 The next day Jake and Jake went to do Diamond Peak, and I went to Goldbug Hotsprings with the girls. The following day, we decided to take a relaxing 2 night backpack up into Hyndman Basin to climb Hyndman Peak. Nice backpack, crappy route up the peak. My 3rd and Jake's 4th Idaho 12er.
Borah Peak ~ June 4, 2020 A few days later, it was finally time to return for Borah, the highest peak in Idaho. We had much improved conditions and enjoyed a favorite route of the road trip. Frigid morning winds on the summit made for a brief stay up there.
After Borah, we hung out in Idaho for another 5 days enjoying a nice relaxing car campout at Redfish Lake. We had aspirations of doing a lot more climbing in the Sawtooths, but they had gotten a big dump of fresh snow and we lost motivation. Sometimes, youd just rather sit around the campfire and drink beer wink.gif Awesome trip, I'm thankful we were able to do it!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Jun 15, 2020 8:10 pm 
While I am grateful for my job, I gotta say I'm jealous of this trip! I miss those Idaho peaks, having grown up there. I never made it up Hyndman, but Cobb right next door was one of my favorites in that area. I love the Borah Peak video, especially the light from 3:30 to 4:00! Good looking trip, way to take advantage of the situation! up.gif up.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jun 15, 2020 8:38 pm 
That looks like a fantastic road trip! The Wasatch are a special place, underappreciated outside Utah. You were all over though, and got some varied scenery, a real change of pace from here.

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostMon Jun 15, 2020 8:47 pm 
Loved the video and following along on your trip. Now I'm adding Borah to my list.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Jun 15, 2020 8:55 pm 
Solid use of time with no job! Nice work guys

Eric Eames
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostMon Jun 15, 2020 10:36 pm 
Nice all around! I gotta do one of these.