Forum Index > Gear Talk > Gregory Backpacks warranty issues
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gpccan
Greg

gpccan
Greg
PostThu Jun 18, 2020 6:53 am 
I'm having a heck of a time getting warranty part replacement for a faulty sternum strap from Gregory backpacks. It's been 6 months and many messages and all I get back is "out of stock" and "We do not have an estimated date of availability at this time". Very frustrated and I've now asked for a replacement backpack because this one is unusable as the straps just fall off our shoulders. We've only owned the pack for 9 months and used it maybe 5 times. Any suggestions from this group?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jun 18, 2020 9:02 am 
Just a wild guess re the last few months: the company and it's suppliers has been affected by closures due to the pandemic?? Doesn't excuse pre-pandemic non responses though! For now, use a shoelace. I've used a shoelace for years on my backpack and it works fine. Sure a sternum strap would be nice, but I never remember to go that extra step. And this suggestion doesn't help your warranty issues.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Jun 18, 2020 11:35 am 
I bought a Gregory Backpack a few years ago as-is with a broken sternum strap and was shocked that they could not replace it for me. But they directed me to Samsonite (who owns Gregory Mountain Products) and I was able to buy a great replacement one over the phone. It was kind of strange because I think all they asked for was my name and I can't remember if they even billed me. I liked the strap so well I bought another one for my Salomon Daypack a year later. They a bit difficult to attach to the cording but once installed they worked better than the original. I looked it up and the last one I bought was in July of 2016. I have a photo from somewhere with the following information on it: 1042792 - STRN STR S11 W SLIDRS 20MM BLK I hope that helps. I had a hard time finding one that would attache as designed.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Jun 18, 2020 11:45 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Just a wild guess re the last few months: the company and it's suppliers has been affected by closures due to the pandemic??
That's certainly the case at the MSR repair shop in Seattle. I wanted to go down there, but the shop is closed to walk-ins, and has significantly reduced their service. Have you tried phoning them also, gpccan? I'm not familiar with Gregory packs; mine are all of a more traditional (ie, "older") style. I checked out their backpacking line on the website and it almost looks as though the sternum strap is critical to keeping the straps from slipping down your shoulders. I'd consider that a design flaw. My packs have them, but depending on circumstances, I don't have to use them all the time.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Songs2

Songs2
PostThu Jun 18, 2020 5:49 pm 
I have several straps with buckles, used with my older external frame pack, created before sternum straps were a regular part of a backpack. A quick look at Amazon shows: Thermarest Camping and backpacking and accessory straps Wisdompro backpack chest strap BTNOW DIY rolls of webbing plus side-release buckles Many choices. These things are cheap and are really useful for affixing items to a frame. I throw them in, along with some lengths of rope, on almost any trip longer than a couple of days. They don't slide down when used as a sternum strap, so they don't need to be attached to the harness. In my experience.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed Jun 24, 2020 11:30 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
That's certainly the case at the MSR repair shop in Seattle. I wanted to go down there, but the shop is closed to walk-ins, and has significantly reduced their service.
Your telling me I had an a stove ignite,( the entire thing) a month ago less than 6 months old and they still have yet to get back to me on it. All we can do is be patient during this time.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.