Forum Index > Trail Talk > Olympic National Park opening
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eaglecadd

Eaglecadd
PostThu Jun 18, 2020 12:16 pm 
Anyone know when the Olympic Natl. Park will be open?

Hike until you Drop!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jun 18, 2020 12:33 pm 
latest rumors

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Tomlike

Tomlike
PostThu Jun 18, 2020 1:58 pm 
Early July, at the...earliest

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Jun 18, 2020 2:19 pm 
Read their web site. Some parts are already open, some later. https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Jun 18, 2020 6:01 pm 
Everything in the backcountry open in ONP is for day use only. There is no backcountry camping open in ONP at theis time. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Eaglecadd

Eaglecadd
PostThu Jun 18, 2020 7:21 pm 
Thanks everyone. I'm still planning a 10 day circular thru hike in later July. Hope we all can get back out there soon. I plan to be at GREAT distance from as many people as possible at that time. Cheers

Hike until you Drop!
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 8:17 am 
received an email from recreation.gov that Sol Duc campground is opening July 1 (today) so assume all the other campgrounds are open now too.

Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 10:12 am 
Olympic National Park today (July 1, 2020) posted information on its official website with detailed information about ONP areas that are now open, which can be viewed here. Clicking the foregoing link will bring you to the Alerts & Conditions page. Scroll down this page to the section with the heading "July 1 2020 Update". The section contains info on specific ONP areas. It also includes information on Wilderness Camping Permits, including that no walk-up permits will be issued at any WIC, all Wilderness Camping Permits must be obtained in advance at Recreation.gov, and trailhead permits are no longer available. Here is what they posted on July 1, 2020"
Quote:
Wilderness Camping Permits Beginning July 1, backpacking permits will resume for the interior wilderness of the park. All overnight camping in coastal wilderness is currently suspended until further notice. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, several changes are in place for Wilderness Camping Permits for the 2020 season. For more information, visit the Wilderness Backpacking Reservations page. • Wilderness Information Centers (WIC) will remain closed to the public for the summer of 2020. If you have any questions, WIC staff are available via email at OLYM_WIC@nps.gov or by phone at (360) 565-3100. • All Wilderness Camping Permits must be obtained in advance. There will be no self-registration available for the remainder of 2020, trailhead permits are no longer available. • There will be no walk up permits available at any Wilderness Information Center (WIC). All WIC locations are closed to the public but WIC staff will be available to answer telephone calls and assist with permit questions/issues. • All Wilderness Camping Permits must be reserved on Recreation.gov through the Olympic National Park Wilderness Permit page prior to the planned trip. If you have any questions, WIC staff are available via email Olym_WIC@nps.gov or by phone at (360) 565-3100.

Ravenridge22

Ravenridge22
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 10:24 am 
Thanks, AA! On the way for a quick overnighter now!

Fatrick

Fatrick
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 10:41 pm 
Is it clear to anyone how to get a permit for non-quota areas? Recreation.gov AFAIK doesn't handle anything except quota areas. In the past you would self register...at least that's what I've been doing all this time.

hbb

hbb
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 12:40 pm 
Looks to me like the areas that are normally not subject to a quota are reservable on Recreation.gov, although there is now a quota for most those sites. For example, Chicago Camp in the Elwha region is reservable online, and not subject to a quota.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 1:20 pm 
hbb wrote:
For example, Chicago Camp in the Elwha region is reservable online, and not subject to a quota.
That is the only one I saw not quota'ed. All other sites are very limited. I got a permit for Cameron Basin- usually states "99" spaces available - this time only 5. I wonder if all the closed WICs will result in more rangers being out and about on the trails checking permits and what not instead of answering questions and lecturing newbs on how to poop in the woods.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
drm

drm
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 1:37 pm 
It certainly appears that all established backcountry sites are effectively under quota now. In theory no worry about getting to an area and it is full. But also no flexibility to change your plans. I sent them an email to ask about camping outside of established camping areas.

Fatrick

Fatrick
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 4:05 pm 
I’m wondering more about permits for off trail remote traverses that few people do, that’s not possible on online ( and never was). In the past you would talk to the WIC or self register. Now they are saying all permits must be made online...if anyone finds out PM me please! I’ll email and call next week, but historically it’s been annoyingly tough to work with rangers on non standard routes and camps. Maybe I should research the fine/penalty for not getting a permit or use one of the self register permits I store in my glove box and claim ignorance. Rule following is my MO, but I also really want to get a high route in this summer...

PTLateHiker

PTLateHiker
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 4:18 pm 
I've been trying for the last couple of hours to reserve a couple of ONP itineraries on Recreation.gov. I can't figure out how to move from one area to another -Staircase to Quinault, for instance - on the same itinerary. I can't find where to get credit for my Olympic Wilderness Pass. And the WIC phone number is so busy that it can't even take messages. But I got a call back from the ranger this morning so I know a couple of things: All areas are under reservation - all campsites reservable. If you want to camp somewhere that is not listed as an established site - upper Royal Basin, for instance - you call up the WIC and they modify your permit over the phone. If I wanted to spend one night at Royal Lake and two in the Upper Basin I'd get an online permit for three nights at the Lake, and then have it modified over the phone to add the Upper Basin - cancelling the second two days at the Lake. ...assuming I can get through to the WIC (To be fair, I did get a call back after a couple of hours). Early days and teething problems for a system we'll be using from now on.

"back at camp the mountain peak still in my legs" - Yu Chang