Forum Index > Trip Reports > This is not your typical ending to a trip. Duckabush area peaks 4729 and 3652 2/15/2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 8:49 am 
Question for everybody: he might have died of hypothermia, could it happen to you? Breaking your leg on a ridgetop in the snow is one thing, but could you survive the night stuck in your car if the temperature was in the 20s? I always throw an old sleeping bag in the trunk when I am heading up into the snow for this very reason.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 9:36 am 
Godspeed Don Evanson. May his family and friends have peace.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 6:55 pm 
He was 88 years old with dementia. This happens a lot in urban areas and many are not found before they are victims of hypothermia. A close friend's father wandered from their house a few years ago and he was on the shoulder of I-5 in Lynnwood for a couple of nights before he was seen. It's always tough to deal with a body but the family is fortunate that you discovered him and he didn't spend the entire winter up there without being found.

Bob2005

Bob2005
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 8:55 pm 
This may not be politically or otherwise correct, but if someone had a condition where s/he would not live long, or be in a state where s/he had such a terrible debilitating condition, and where relatives were OK, I would not think negatively if s/he let nature take its course, even if it meant the authorities dealing with the outcome.

OdinPNW
Odin

OdinPNW
Odin
PostTue Feb 25, 2020 9:45 pm 
If, I mean when I die I want to be the city’s problem. Let waste management dispose of my corpse. They only pick up every other week anyway so lots of free time. Anyway no disrespect to the post, I’m just mad at Tacoma garbage men.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 3:39 pm 
Bob2005 wrote:
This may not be politically or otherwise correct, but if someone had a condition where s/he would not live long, or be in a state where s/he had such a terrible debilitating condition, and where relatives were OK, I would not think negatively if s/he let nature take its course, even if it meant the authorities dealing with the outcome.
If everyone gets honest for a moment... we're all just hoping for as many good days as possible, and as few bad days as possible, and trying to live as best we can in between. Whenever I hear a story like this my reactions are conflicted but I don't think that's unusual under the circumstances. My only firm conclusion is tremendous sympathy for the friends and family left sorting out potentially complex grief in the aftermath.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Feb 27, 2020 7:35 pm 
DigitalJanitor wrote:
Godspeed Don Evanson. May his family and friends have peace.
Is there a news article?

reststep

reststep
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 9:55 am 
Stefan wrote:
news report: https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/88-year-old-brinnon-man-found-dead-on-forest-service-land/

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
JJ Evanson
88Yr Old Missing

JJ Evanson
88Yr Old Missing
PostFri Jun 19, 2020 9:54 am 
It is pretty interesting to see that this thread is and has been responded to by so many thoughtful people. DE was my adopted grandfather, however, i had little interaction as i grew. My Aunt and Father, are very interested in hearing anything you could tell them about the situation where and how he was found, basically some details, since all the siblings have little or no resolution here on the death of their adopted father. If you have information, please reach out here to me and i can put you in contact with them. "X" is my Aunt, and she is the full blood daughter of Mr Evanson. I was born with the last name of Evanson, then, in my mid 20's i found out about how Don Evanson had adopted my dad, and 2 uncles and Aunt. I was told what i know is the truth, that my Paternal Grandfather is a different name, not Evanson. I changed my last name since i was about to have my first of 3 children. My father often told me stories of his step-father Don growing up, times that he treasures to this day, about fishing and hunting, and stories of his "Service", like the day he was being released from the Air Force, Radar Technician. (one for the inside people) Yes, he served his country well. He was a quiet man who carried a big stick (that is how we used to hear about a person). Believe it or not, the family has no closure here. We just found out this past week. For some reason, there is what we feel like, something fishy going on. "The fact that foul play has been ruled out" is kinda creepy, when you see what is all missing. If anyone has any information here, since the channels my family has turned are complete road blocks to try and get information, please reach out to me for discussion. The family needs some details about how he was found, with what, and when and maybe even more details you remember about anything. To date, we don't know what happened to his personal belongings, including the truck he was in?????? Grieving for a Great Man -JJ