Forum Index > Trail Talk > Peevee-Ashnola Xing-Spanish Camp Beta?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostSun Jun 21, 2020 9:33 am 
Just returned from Upper Cathedral Lake via Andrews Creek. Heavy blow down on miles 8-12 before Andrews Pass. Lake and basin are still buried in 4’ of snow. Streams seemed to be pumping. Basically Pasayten is not nearly as melted out as it generally seems to be this time of year. Spanish Camp was however glorious. (Will post conditions TR) The plan was to leave in the very near future for an extended family trip from Billygoat TH to Peevee Pass then east to Irongate. But I’m concerned particularly about the Ashnola River crossing (assuming it looks anything like Andrews Creek) as well as the amount of possible blowdown on the Boundary Trail between Peevee and the shoulder of Bald Mtn. Any recent experiences with early season crossings there or how hammered those forests are after the latest series of burns would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Jun 21, 2020 10:34 am 
Sorry that I have no useful info on this. I've been wanting to visit that area for years. Very eager to see your trip report. smile.gif

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostSun Jun 21, 2020 10:44 am 
For Cathedral here you go (though not sure I added anything of value). Sadly may not be one for this Boundary Trail idea. Cathedral Lakes 6/20

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Jun 21, 2020 12:40 pm 
On our way to Ramon Lakes in July 2017 we walked a short ways on the Boundary Trail eastward from PeeVee Pass just out of curiosity and it looked like no one had been on it for quite a while, lots of blowdowns. I don’t know if the Diamond Creek Fire further damaged it, but most certainly there will be new blowdowns this year on the Billy Goat Trail as it goes right through the heart of the fire. Check a WTA trip report from July 12, 2019 for the Boundary Trail, it’s got some pretty good info. Also the PNTA and BCHA did a lot of work up there later in the summer last year. I love the section from McCall Basin and Sand Ridge, so many beautiful wildflowers in July!

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jun 22, 2020 9:55 am 
The Boundary Trail is part of the Pacific Northwest National Scenic Trail. I would advise doing some web searches based on that name. People do that trail, like the Continental Divide Trail, and the PCT. I was at Devils Pass last year and met a couple who were doing the Pacific Northwest National Scenic Trail and they talked about how bad the blowdowns were at on the Boundary Trail. By the way, I was up Andrews Creek too from Friday to Sunday...but we did not go as far as Andrews Pass. We went cross country up to Rock Lake. Your description of the trail is spot on just before Peepsight Trail junction.

Art is an adventure.
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Jun 22, 2020 12:21 pm 
I looked at the PNT Hikers fb page yesterday and they just published a guidebook with new maps and trip reports from 2019 available on Amazon.com. Sorry I am unable to provide the link with my device. From scrolling through the recent posts, it looks like some potential 2020 PCT thru hikers may be considering the PNT this year. Stefan, were there many mosquitoes at Rock Lake yet? One of the worst places I have ever been to for mosquitoes a little later in the summer!

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Jun 22, 2020 4:09 pm 
Some more updates from this area. Hiked in to Tungsten Mine via Chewuch River trail and Tungsten Trail, over Cathedral Pass and down to Remmel Lake, out Remmel Creek. Chewuch River trail has 1-2 logs before reaching the Cathedral Driveway trail junction, then completely clear to the Tungsten trail. Water crossing here has two skinny logs or a knee-deep and cold ford. Probably a dozen trees down from there to the mine, none difficult to pass. Trail is very wet approaching the mine site. Site is snow-free as well as camps in the meadows below. Post-holey and sloppy snow on the eastern approach to Apex Pass and across the pass, maybe 1-2' deep. Snow free on the western side until below Cathedral Peak, then off/on snow crossing the pass. One steep slope near the top of the pass. Conditions around the lake match what was reported above. Remmel Lake is snow-free as is the trail down into the valley. Lots of logs down in the valley and slow going. Crossing of Cathedral Creek was nasty. No good logs, mid-thigh deep, and fast moving. More logs down on the other side until reaching Four Point Lake trail junction, then better but still logs to deal with. Then unnamed creek crossing at 4800 ft is fast moving and fairly difficult, no logs available. Overall, still a lot of logs to deal with. Standing water and mud in places. Soft snow higher up. Water crossings will be a problem on hotter days.

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jun 22, 2020 4:42 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
were there many mosquitoes at Rock Lake yet?
Mosquitos were strange. The first night on Friday night at Rock Lake, there were mosquitos. Annoying, and not intense. The second night which was Saturday night...they were ALL gone. And I think Peepsight Lake is more scenic than Rock Lake.

Art is an adventure.