Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bark-lay Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 12:34 pm 
Dani and I just became pawrents again after almost a year without a dog. Since we are still hikers (I haven't been relegated to the scrap heap just yet!), we decided to take our new girl Kimtah on her first real hike. A few days of neighborhood walks and Shelton View Forest walks/jogs helped her get used to her new life of wagging tails while walking trails. Since we took Jasper to Barclay Lake for his first real hike when he was a puppy, we figured we'd do the same hike with Kimtah. She's originally from San Antonio, so I'm sure the smells were all new and exciting for her. She did pretty well on trail, even meeting a distant cousin. One thing we were surprised by was her desire to get in the water. Jasper always looked annoyed when we made him go into the water, but Kimtah really wanted to explore the creek and lake. It was a little difficult with a leash on, but I'm sure we'll find somewhere to enjoy off-leash water play once she develops better recall and there aren't many people around. I didn't take too many photos as I was more concerned with our trail manners and giving distance to other hikers when we encountered them. But, here are a few with a couple old shots to compare her hike to Jasper's.
D&K at the trailhead
D&K at the trailhead
Ladies on the trail
Ladies on the trail
Kimtah at Barclay Lake
Kimtah at Barclay Lake
I am Kimtah, hear me not bark
I am Kimtah, hear me not bark
My girls
My girls
Kimtah had a whale of a time
Kimtah had a whale of a time
D&J at the trailhead
D&J at the trailhead
Jasper at Barclay Lake
Jasper at Barclay Lake
Boys on the beach
Boys on the beach

Knows literally nothing
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 12:45 pm 
up.gif Your new pup looks like a sweetie. Is she a mix of German shepherd with blue heeler or Australian shepherd? Most looks like a German but not her coat, especially on her back.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 5:42 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Is she a mix of German shepherd with blue heeler or Australian shepherd?
Her initial description was heeler mix, but the veterinary information that came with her said shepherd/heeler mix. I see both in her appearance as well as mannerisms of both. So far she's quite a sweetie. Maybe she's waiting to settle in more before she turns on me. smile.gif

Knows literally nothing
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 8:15 pm 
She's so cute! And I'm so happy you have another pup in your family.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun Jun 21, 2020 12:45 pm 
She definitely looks like a shepherd mix, those shepherd ears. Well she’s one lucky dog because you adopted her. Just curious which rescue group she came from?

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Jun 21, 2020 5:05 pm 
Congrats on the new addition to the family, GeoTom. Very cute pup. Despite what the shelter told you, the only sure way to find out Kimtah's lineage is a genetic test - lots of options on the interwebs, but I wouldn't go with the cheapo outfits. Spending some time with the "Mutt Mix Pup Quiz" clued me in on how tough it can be to peg a mutt's lineage based on looks alone. It's fun, but frustrating. How were the crowds at Barclay? Haven't been there in ages. I figure it's gotten a lot like Mt Si, et al.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Jun 22, 2020 3:10 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
How were the crowds at Barclay?
More than I expected for a Friday for a hike that requires a few mile drive off the highway. But, there were opportunities for getting off to the side of the trail. Since we went in the afternoon, most people were coming out as we went in, and we were able to snag a spot by Jasper's tree for a late lunch. I had never really considered getting a dog DNA test, but now I'm a bit curious. I tried asking her about her birth parents, but she just gave me a blank look then tried to lick my face. Cute, but not much help.
Roly Poly wrote:
Just curious which rescue group she came from?
I saw her via a Petfinder alert, but I contacted the shelter directly (Helotes Humane Society in San Antonio) and coordinated through them. She had come into the shelter as a stray with what they thought was a sibling. They were named Merlot (now Kimtah) and Cabernet (previously adopted). Apparently she had been in foster care in San Antonio, and was going to come to Olympia for fostering here. However, we adopted her first. The actual transportation was done through Your TX Rescue Connection (aka God's Dogs Rescue). She came up in a Ford Transit van with several other doggies, although there were humans driving. They made stops in Portland, Olympia, Federal Way and Bothell (Yay!).

Knows literally nothing
camut

camut
PostMon Jun 22, 2020 5:21 pm 
Congratulations on your sweet new pup. She looks like she is going to be a first rate hiking companion too. Several years ago the animal shelter on Camano Island was selling DNA kits so I bought one for my dog. It was Wisdom Panel 2.0. His Border Collie parentage is obvious, and I suspected some German Shepherd, but I was completely surprised to find out he also has some Rottweiler as well. A friend recently adopted a puppy that came from South Korea. She also did a DNA test on him and found out he is 100% Whippet. I don't remember which test she used. There are a number of them out there. It's fun finding out who your doggie is.