Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > No oil drilling in Badger Two Medicine along Glacier National Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostSun Jun 21, 2020 1:55 pm 
Two Medicine Lake is a beautiful area in the SE part of Glacier National Park. A court ruling this week stopped all drilling in this area of Blackfoot lands just along Glacier National Park's East edge. No drilling at Badger - Two Medicine area Incidentally, on a hiking visit a decade ago to GNP, I heard Gladstone sing at the lodge at the east entrance with a beautiful melodious voice. I recall his terrific rendition of "Over the Rainbow" and when I got home I searched and purchased a CD of his. Jack Gladstone "Buffalo Cafe" In 2009 my Sister and I took a trip to Saskatchewan to visit my cousin and see the home my Grandfather built in the 1910's. Although my Grandfather died in 1957, we spoke to one elderly gentleman that knew Sig and told us numerous stories. Each summer my Grandfather would set out alone on horseback from 100 miles north of Saskatoon and ride to Blackfoot Country in Montana to purchase about twenty horses. He would then return to Saskatchewan to sell the horses. He also ran a small farm at his home.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Jun 21, 2020 5:30 pm 
Thanks for posting this, gb. Beautiful photos in the article. I'm not familiar with Mr. Gladstone, so thanks for including that. In parts of that particular tune, his voice reminded me of Gordon Lightfoot, somehow.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
gb

gb
PostSun Jun 21, 2020 5:40 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Thanks for posting this, gb. Beautiful photos in the article. I'm not familiar with Mr. Gladstone, so thanks for including that. In parts of that particular tune, his voice reminded me of Gordon Lightfoot, somehow.
His voice to me just has such a beautiful quality. I see he has presented at Ted Talks. Today I listened to the CD I purchased back then, and the narrative he had of his family history didn't mean that much to me after the GNP visit; though his songs were great. But since visiting Saskatchewan afterwards, I know a bit more. And then I just recently read "My Life as an Indian", by Schultz, a famed semi-historical book of the Blackfoot region from perhaps the 1850's to the turn of the century. Many of the historical stories in that book are repeated in the history of Gladstone's Great Grandparents and Cousins! That book was quite a bit about his family history. Amazing connection.

graywolf

graywolf
PostSun Jun 28, 2020 6:08 pm 
gb wrote:
Two Medicine Lake is a beautiful area in the SE part of Glacier National Park. A court ruling this week stopped all drilling in this area of Blackfoot lands just along Glacier National Park's East edge. No drilling at Badger - Two Medicine area Incidentally, on a hiking visit a decade ago to GNP, I heard Gladstone sing at the lodge at the east entrance with a beautiful melodious voice. I recall his terrific rendition of "Over the Rainbow" and when I got home I searched and purchased a CD of his. Jack Gladstone "Buffalo Cafe" In 2009 my Sister and I took a trip to Saskatchewan to visit my cousin and see the home my Grandfather built in the 1910's. Although my Grandfather died in 1957, we spoke to one elderly gentleman that knew Sig and told us numerous stories. Each summer my Grandfather would set out alone on horseback from 100 miles north of Saskatoon and ride to Blackfoot Country in Montana to purchase about twenty horses. He would then return to Saskatchewan to sell the horses. He also ran a small farm at his home.
Definitely sounds like Gordon Lightfoot - and that's great in my opinion.

The only easy day was yesterday...
gb

gb
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 4:00 pm 
I hadn't thought about Gordon Lightfoot, but Jack Gladstone's delivery is quite similar. I think Gladstone has even better tonal quality than Lightfoot.