Previous :: Next Topic
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 6:25 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Foist wrote:
How did the bus get there in the first place? I saw the movie, but it was a while ago and if the movie explained that, I forget.
It was left there when they were building the road in about 1960
There was a road? I thought the only way out of there was wading a raging river which was why he died? Did a bridge wash out or something?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 6:32 pm 
Foist wrote:
There was a road? I thought the only way out of there was wading a raging river which was why he died? Did a bridge wash out or something?
There was never a bridge -- the bus was towed in by bulldozers during the winter when the river was frozen. Which illustrates how misguided McCandless was in the first place -- he walked to the bus on a frozen river and didn't seem to understand that he would have no way to get back across after breakup.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 7:16 pm 
Randito wrote:
There was never a bridge -- the bus was towed in by bulldozers during the winter when the river was frozen. Which illustrates how misguided McCandless was in the first place -- he walked to the bus on a frozen river and didn't seem to understand that he would have no way to get back across after breakup.
It's been a while since I read it. IIRC it could've been fordable later in the year, but not during spring run off. Bad timing on his part. I also seem to remember something about a cable car crossing nearby, but he didn't have a map and was most likely completely unaware of it.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 7:19 pm 
To be young and foolish, could have happened to most of us, but for fortune. I did a lot more stupid things then, than him.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
neek

neek
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 7:41 pm 
<-- middle-aged and foolish

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 10:55 pm 
Randito wrote:
Foist wrote:
Ah, thanks. In the movie, he did ford it when it was running but at a much lower level, and then when he got sick it was running much higher and he couldn't get back across because it was a different time of year. And I think his original "plan," such as it was, was never to come back, but then he had second thoughts.

Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Jun 22, 2020 5:26 am 
Visit the wild carefully!

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jun 22, 2020 9:45 am 
Ah yes. McCandless. I have done many a stupid thing too. I haven't earned a Darwin award. Yet.

Art is an adventure.
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostTue Jun 23, 2020 7:46 am 
I enjoyed both the book and the movie as a character study of what I saw as an extreme version of myself (and I suspect many of us on this forum), in McCandless` attempts in trying to find a simpler, more innocent place for himself in a complex, often crazy world where he had trouble fitting in his complex personality (a big simplification of his life, but I think correct). Thankfully my long journeys in nature didn`t have such a sad ending..... I hope they put the bus somewhere accessable for those needing to visit it for whatever reason, thankfully not dying in the process, but likely not having quite the same pilgrimage either.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 23, 2020 8:11 am 
cascadetraverser wrote:
I hope they put the bus somewhere accessable for those needing to visit it for whatever reason, thankfully not dying in the process, but likely not having quite the same pilgrimage either.
I suspect they will put it up for auction and some entrepreneur will buy it and build a tourist trap with it as the center piece. But not this year -- bad year to try and start a tourism based business.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Jun 23, 2020 1:26 pm 
cascadetraverser wrote:
I enjoyed both the book and the movie as a character study of what I saw as an extreme version of myself (and I suspect many of us on this forum), in McCandless` attempts in trying to find a simpler, more innocent place for himself in a complex, often crazy world where he had trouble fitting in his complex personality (a big simplification of his life, but I think correct). Thankfully my long journeys in nature didn`t have such a sad ending..... I hope they put the bus somewhere accessable for those needing to visit it for whatever reason, thankfully not dying in the process, but likely not having quite the same pilgrimage either.
Right on! Great piece of personal insight. Thanks for sharing. Rumi <~~~~~been into the wild and made it back out

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Jun 23, 2020 1:45 pm 
Randito wrote:
I suspect they will put it up for auction and some entrepreneur will buy it and build a tourist trap with it as the center piece. But not this year -- bad year to try and start a tourism based business.
If I were a relative of the deceased, that would really upset me; someone essentially making a profit off my loved one's death. It was a kindness to go thru the expense of removing it to deter the morbidly curious and prevent more mishaps. Hopefully it's already a fraction of its size in some scrap metal yard.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Jun 24, 2020 2:48 am 
Pyrites wrote:
I couldn’t believe it when this story of misrepresented ignorance was assigned secondary school reading for my kids. Live of the land.
I used parts of the book in my 9-12 English classes for several years. None of my students have traipsed off into the wilderness. I did not care for the movie although I don't think I have seen it all. Misrepresented ignorance may depend on teacher/student perspective and interpretation. The author's info/interview from Jim Gallien, last person to see victim, clearly presents the "rookie's" many mistakes. Tom

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jun 24, 2020 7:57 am 
To Build a Fire for our time. A cautionary tale not a how to manual. hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Jun 27, 2020 10:19 pm 
There's a "into the wild" style airstream trailer type deal for sale in an open lot near me!! Just the frame!!! Grass growin 5 feet high all around it!!!! Lookin like a junkyard!!!! 'mbarrassing the neighborhood!!! 'mbarrassing the program. Someone tell someone to remove it!!!!!! Someone else deal with this!!!