Forum Index > Trail Talk > What are some nice ridge walks in the Central Cascades?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
asdf

asdf
PostTue Jun 23, 2020 7:50 pm 
Or anywhere relatively close to the Central Cascades. Looking to get in a bunch of mileage and man do I like ridges. Been out to Cady Ridge and West Cady Ridge before and enjoyed both.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostWed Jun 24, 2020 11:08 am 
Buck Creek Pass to High Pass. Leave from Trinity trailhead. It's a bit early right now. Still a bunch of snow up there I bet. August is a great time to do it. The whole area is awesome.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 24, 2020 11:29 am 
Lost Creek Ridge Poets Ridge (some off trail) You could do some of the Painted Traverse starting from White Pass (off trail again, but some of it looks like fairly easy traveling; it does get fairly challenging in places if you try to do the full traverse). edit--it's probably a bit early for all of these, not sure if you are looking for recs for immediate usage or later in the year

rossb

rossb
PostSat Jun 27, 2020 4:07 pm 
I was on Johnson Ridge yesterday. There is snow, but it is fairly manageable (poles and good boots should be sufficient). I would imagine a lot of ridge walks in the Teanaway are melted out now.

neek

neek
PostSat Jun 27, 2020 4:15 pm 
Not quite central, but Stetattle Ridge is a classic...

ctripp

ctripp
PostSun Jun 28, 2020 10:12 pm 
If you're fine with some class 3 bits, I really enjoyed the ridge traverse from Ingalls Pass to Fortune Peak then up to Ingalls South, dropping off the ridge down to Lake Ingalls to connect with the trail for a loop. But, as others have mentioned, there will be plenty of snow up there right now.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jun 28, 2020 11:44 pm 
ctripp wrote:
If you're fine with some class 3 bits, I really enjoyed the ridge traverse from Ingalls Pass to Fortune Peak then up to Ingalls South, dropping off the ridge down to Lake Ingalls to connect with the trail for a loop.
Doh, not sure why I didn't think of that area before. The Teanaway is pretty much a mecca of ridge traverse possibilities. A bit of scrambling on some of them, but I've done several: Ingalls Pass to Longs Pass Iron Peak area to Longs Pass (included climbing Gene's Peak, ice axe was useful) Navaho Pass to Earl Peak Earl Peak to Bean Peak Fourth Creek to Mary's Peak, then down to Bean Creek Basin; you could easily throw in Judy, Bean, Earl into the mix. There are many more options, and you can link of several of the traverses I did for an even bigger traverse. You could spend several days up there. Everything I did was a loop, or near loop with minimal road walking between trailheads.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 2:42 pm 
I would second Lost Creek Ridge. Pilot Ridge is also fantastic. You could combine both into a big loop. That has been a dream of mine, although crossing the White Chuck could be an adventure. If you are a very hardy hiker, Kindy Ridge is also spectacular, although it's a brutal slog until you get fairly near Cyclone Lake. Then from there to the top of Snowking it's just a glorious ridge walk on the top of the world. (Also, maybe that's more North Cascades than "Central Cascades"? Not sure what "Central" means exactly...)

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 3:08 pm 
Foist wrote:
Snowking
Gotta earn the 'King

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 3:28 pm 
No kidding. The first day of my trip -- from the trailhead to Cyclone Lake with a 3-night pack -- was the hardest day of hiking in my entire life. But the walk up the ridge from there to the summit (with a day-pack), and the rest of my time just hanging out and exploring the area, was like a blissful dream.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 6:42 pm 
Tronsen is a good one.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 7:20 pm 
Here is an older TR for a seldom seen section of the County Line Trail in the Teanaway. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7968513 If anyone does this be sure to post a pic of the snag framing Miller Peak in the background.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 10:56 am 
Near Snoqualmie - the hike up Alta Peak (either via Rachel Lake or the notorious "Rampart back door") is pretty glorious ridge walking. Another nice single day loop hike is to climb Putrid Pete's and follow the ridge over to Defiance, and then head back to the start via Mason Lake etc.

JPH

JPH
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 1:51 pm 
Indian Head Peak has a pretty amazing ridge walk up to the summit.

gray matter

gray matter
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 7:24 pm 
Mt. David just north of Lake Wenatchee has a great ridge run and lots of elevation gain to boot. We were up last weekend and there’s still a lot of snow once you get to the ridge.