Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Cashmere 6-19-2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike
PostThu Jun 25, 2020 3:07 pm 
I stopped by and took a shot at Mount cashmere this past weekend on my way to a family camping trip. The eight-mile lake trail/trout creek cut off all the way to lake Caroline was snow-free except for a few minor patches. There is a TON of wildflowers all over the trail right now.
After passing lake Caroline there is a lot more snow especially inside of the trees. All the way to windy pass was pretty well snow-covered. Once onto Mount Cashmere's west ridge, the snow disappeared except for a few small patches in spots. All was easily navigated.
From other peoples descriptions, I had expected the scrambling to be far more difficult than it felt. Not sure if that is because I am out doing it every weekend or if I found some magical way that no one else has (doubtful). I would say the route I used was never over class 3 and most was class 2. Views from the summit of Mount Cashmere were outstanding as the Enchantments always are. One of the best things was the piles of ladybugs that were all over the summit block.
For some good shots of the scramble, I have a video available of the full climb you can see at the link. For the full trip report with GPX you can check out the second link

[Mountains] are the cathedrals where I practice my religion - Anatoli Boukreev Hike2Hike.com, because we all just live from Hike to Hike.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 6:18 am 
Nice outing and pics. Cashmere is kind of like Black peak in that you can do some exciting scrambling, if you want, or routine class 2, if you find the easiest way. You can traverse the north side of the ridge below the scrambly stuff to avoid most of it.

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 10:38 am 
Thanks, rbuzby! I guess with the descriptions of class 4 climbing I had seen on places like summitpost I was expecting more. You are right, it was a lot like Black Peak with the amount of choice in routes. The only reason I could see any of it qualifying for class 4 was the exposure in a couple of spots. Other than that, great handholds and solid rock. Not too much loose scree to deal with which is always a welcome feature.

[Mountains] are the cathedrals where I practice my religion - Anatoli Boukreev Hike2Hike.com, because we all just live from Hike to Hike.
KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostSat Jun 27, 2020 11:57 am 
Thanks for the report, I've had my eye on Cashmere for years but was scared off by a friend's report of harrowing exposed class 3-4.

KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostSun Jun 28, 2020 8:47 am 
Funny how multiple people can do the same peaks but have drastically different opinions on them. One year I did Black and Sahale - my friends did the same peaks on different unrelated trips but we had complete opposite reactions to their difficulty. I guess it's all about route finding... like the class 2 on seven finger Jack that always turns into 3-4.