Forum Index > Trail Talk > Goodbye and thank you
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 6:37 am 
My prayers are with you. You're definitely one of the good guys. Will keep hoping for the best. BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 6:39 am 
Ill continue wigh my magnifiing glass as long as I can. Thank you to everyone for your kind words. I guess you really dont appreciate your sight until you lose it. Im living in a terrified state daily. Waiting to waike up in the dark. I hope this never happens to any of you.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Damian

Damian
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 7:49 am 
Sorry to hear and will keep you in prayers. But If anyone can make it work, it is you Tom.

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 8:31 am 
BPJ - Dang I'm so sorry you are going through this! Can't imagine what this must be like. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers, and continue hoping for the best!

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 8:40 am 
That is rough!!! Good luck!! Hopefully you can find a solution! Fingers crossed for you.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 8:43 am 
sorry to hear of this. frown.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Joe Biden

Joe Biden
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 9:35 am 
Thank you for all the advice you have given me over the years! Don’t give up hope. You never know what can happen.

Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 9:55 am 
Wow. I am so sorry this is happening to you BPJ. You have been a part of this culture for a long time. Hope.

Art is an adventure.
veronika

veronika
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 10:38 am 
Oh no. So sorry to hear this. You seem strong! I’m sure you will get through this! Hang in there and god speed! up.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
pula58

pula58
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 10:51 am 
Joe...take good care and I hope somehow you can find a way to keep on keepin' on.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 11:39 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Ill continue wigh my magnifiing glass as long as I can. Thank you to everyone for your kind words. I guess you really dont appreciate your sight until you lose it. Im living in a terrified state daily. Waiting to waike up in the dark. I hope this never happens to any of you.
I totally grok what you say. I am legally blind and have been for about eight years. My loss of eyesight is due to glaucoma. Though it was a gradual loss that I did not even notice initially, I found myself legally blind. Obviously your rapid loss of sight is due to a different condition. I too have moments of panic when there are times I think I am losing more eyesight. I feel helpless to curb the progress. I have had more than 15 eye surgeries in the past eight years with extremely limited and temporary success. I am scheduled to have more this fall. For the computer I use a 30 inch monitor and have sized up the text to be able to read. Even then I use a magnifying glass to see some stuff. I can still hike, but I really have to slow down and plan ahead. I can't see in the dark so I make sure to set up camp before dark and arrange everything so that I know where everything is. I am subject to tripping on the trail and running into low limbs. Just yesterday I did both on a hike out Klahhane Ridge in the Olympics. Both left marks on me. *bigblindcrazyhikergrins* Anyway, I hope that the eye doctors can stablize your sight and that you can get out to the backcountry. Unsolicited Advice: #1 Make plans NOW! Don't wait until you are forced, start planning and moving towards assisted living. It's a huge ego pill to swallow, but start now. #2 It's really hard to bring oneself to ask for help when one's whole life has been relative self-reliance. But you MUST learn to ask for help from both friends, family, and dare I say it, the government. There're lots of programs out there, though you do have to jump through hoops. #3 Don't give up, keep fighting for the things you can do. Recognize that there still are things you can do. #4 Adapt your lifestyle to the new reality. #5 Don't isolate yourself. You will feel isolated as it is and that can be depressing. I realize these suggestions are really one and the same, I just hope they make sense to you. I really hope the best for you. Take care and live life to the fullest. Rumi~the legally blind~Dude PS: In case you have not yet done so, start the process for Disablity immediately. It was a two year battle for me to get it, but when I was finally approved I got back paid to the beginning. If you need help filling out the application, they will actually help you.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 1:48 pm 
I'm just shocked. I so enjoyed our lunch in Cle Elum last winter, and am so appreciating the generosity of the hi-tech, low-weight tent you gave me. Will PM you.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
bertman

bertman
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 2:10 pm 
I'm sorry for your vision problems. If I may ask, what is the medical condition? My father has central serous retinopathy in both eyes. He can barely read using two stacked magnifying glasses, and can no longer use the computer even with a touch screen that magnifies. We are looking into read back technology that vision impaired/blind people use for him.

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 3:09 pm 
BPJ - So sorry to hear this. That's rough. Prayers to you of peace and hope of continued discovery of opportunity and interests. I have enjoyed reading so many of your trip reports. The Backpacker Joe Falls Lake bear encounter is a staple tale of my Outdoor Adventure class for middle school kids. I try to do it justice. Phil

snowmonkey

snowmonkey
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 3:20 pm 
So sorry to hear- I will miss your posts. Hoping your hiking memories of PNW beauty will comfort you on your challenging journey.

Ocian in view! O! The joy! William Clark