Forum Index > Trail Talk > Goodbye and thank you
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 3:47 pm 
Omg, buddy. I’m so sorry to hear this. Will be thinking about you and praying for you. There’s gotta be something they can do. We don’t want to lose you. Love you, man.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 4:22 pm 
Hey BPJ, fight every day. Huge respect for your authenticity and the value you've brought to this site for so many years. Hoping technology can find you solutions to ease this transition. You're in my thoughts. up.gif up.gif

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 5:48 pm 
Well crap, Tom, that's just about as effed up as you can get. I'm hoping there's something that can be done to turn the tables for you. The community has been richer because of your involvement. Sure hope you can stick around, but, more importantly, hope you can find ways to get out in the woods and hills. If you need anything, reach out.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 5:53 pm 
Tom, I haven't posted for something like 10 years, but had to log in to wish you the best. Please contact me if you need anything. We're sort of neighbors now, so I would be happy to help you out in any way you need. It's the kind of thing I've seen you do for so many on this site. I'll be sending good vibes and hopes for the best your way. -kleet

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 6:04 pm 
Hi Tom I am sad to hear about what is happening and I am keeping you in my prayers.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 6:15 pm 
Sad news. Hang in there my friend.

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 7:00 pm 
BPJ, so sorry to hear your news and my heart goes out to you. I pray technology can help alleviate some of the challenges sooner rather than later. Thanks for all your shared experiences here over the years; you've been on my radar as long as I can remember and I frequently relay your stories to others while on the trail. Stay positive, open to alternatives and never lose hope!! Elvis

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 7:23 pm 
How horrifying for you Tom, I am so sorry. Sending good wishes your way, hang in there.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 7:29 pm 
What a bummer for you and for us all; you always contribute honestly and regularly. Looks like Rumi had some good advice and I hope it helps... I truely hope you continue to post and contribute here, if you are able. First and foremost, best to adapting and managing and accepting your present life as well as you can.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 8:12 pm 
FiresideChats wrote:
BPJ - So sorry to hear this. That's rough. Prayers to you of peace and hope of continued discovery of opportunity and interests. I have enjoyed reading so many of your trip reports. The Backpacker Joe Falls Lake bear encounter is a staple tale of my Outdoor Adventure class for middle school kids. I try to do it justice. Phil
Yes, I hope you're able to continue posting here, and are able in some fashion to get out, if even only occasionally. And that bear story is just the one I was thinking of! Great story!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Moose

Moose
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 8:42 pm 
BPJ, you were one of the first handles that stood out to me when I joined this site years ago as a novice hiker / recreationalist. We have never met or communicated but I've admired the persona and character that you've exhibited online. I can only imagine how terrifying and dark this time is for you, but hopefully as others have said there are solutions out there that can help. Thanks for all of the past inspiration and your presence on this site, and best wishes for your future.

borank
Lake dork

borank
Lake dork
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 8:55 pm 
I'm Stunned! Thoughts and prayers go your way, of course. May your faith grow and uphold you as you move forward.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 11:56 pm 
BPJ, I am so sorry to hear this. I hope you can find comfort knowing how much so many people on this site care about you.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSat Jun 27, 2020 12:00 am 
Tom, you’ve been a huge asset to this site and the PNW hiking community for as long as I can remember. When I regularly posted I looked forward to your contributions to the site. I’m sorry to hear that you’re saying goodbye. I do hope that something at some point soon can help restore your vision so you can enjoy the great outdoors again. Take good care of yourself and don’t give up.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSat Jun 27, 2020 6:26 am 
I am so sorry to hear about this. It’s a very shocking turn of events and I cannot imagine how you feel. I hope there is something that can be done for your eyes. I don’t know what your family situation is but having an strong and engaged advocate when you have medical appointments can make a huge difference, someone who will do a lot of research on your behalf. I know this from personal experience. I’ve found medicine (I should qualify that and say veterinary medicine so I assume human medicine is the same) is political so there may be emerging therapies out there but until they get into mainstream publications, the practitioners refer to them as anecdotal. So I hope there is something out there for you. Immunotherapy seems to be one of those therapies that everyone is working on for everything.