Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > bison goring
Previous :: Next Topic  
cdestroyer

cdestroyer

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 7:39 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
what is it with people about approaching a wild animal the size of a buick to take a picture?

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/bison-gores-woman-yellowstone-trnd/index.html
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper

Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 9:26 am 
I blame vegetarians for those gorings.   Bison are good to eat, not for close encounters.

--------------
What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Bosterson

Bosterson

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 9:55 am 
catsp wrote:
She didn't get within 10 feet of this huge animal

Your sarcasm could use a proofreader.  wink.gif

CNN wrote:
The woman approached the bison to take a picture and got within 10 feet of it multiple times before it gored her on June 25, according to the release.

--------------
Follow the river until it turns to ice. Follow the ice until it turns to rock. Follow the rock until it turns to sky. Then we will be there.
--Woodrow Wilson Sayre
Washakie

Washakie

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 10:21 am 
Natural selection.

--------------
"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young

"We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee

"The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent"  - Washakie
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
catsp

catsp

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 10:28 am 
Washakie wrote:
Natural selection.

At 72? I'm starting to think that maybe that theory has some holes in it.
neek

neek

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 11:00 am 
catsp wrote:
At 72? I'm starting to think that maybe that theory has some holes in it.

There is at least a grain of sand in that hole... A 74-year-old woman reportedly gave birth to twins, may be the oldest ever to give birth
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
gb

gb

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 4:08 pm 
Reminds me of my first visit to Natural Bridges. I was curious about Rattlesnakes there, and asked the ranger, "How often do people get bitten?"

His reply, "Only once, it happened the third time the guy tried to put a Faded Midget Rattlesnake in a gunny sack......."

And the Darwin award goes to...... shakehead.gif

Twice in the SW I've come within a gnat's ars of stepping on a Faded Midget that was lying in Cottonwood leaves, once in the Maze, and once at the start of the Subway.
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr

aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 4:33 pm 
gb wrote:
a Faded Midget Rattlesnake

Good grief.  I've never heard of these.  I know of several other rattlers, but this one is news to me.  Here's a map showing  their range. 
More info here at Wikipedia article.   Quote:  Found in the United States in the Colorado and Green River basins. This area covers southwestern Wyoming, Utah east of long. 111° West (excluding the southeastern corner) and extreme west-central Colorado.    ~z
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito

Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 4:42 pm 
My wild guess is that trying to approaching that close to the bison was not just to get a decent picture of the bison, but to get a selfie with the bison close by in the frame.

72 is about the right age for a "second teenagerhood"
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 4:56 pm 
Interesting about the faded midget we always thought the Mohave rattler had the most toxic venom. Not good to be bit by either.  eek.gif

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper

Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 10:10 am 
catsp wrote:
This stuff is getting ridiculous. Law and order in our national parks!

Not Misty?

Misty of Chincoteague that is.

--------------
What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pyrites

Pyrites

PostWed Jul 01, 2020 2:37 pm 
Back to bison. I’m amazed that people ranch them. I’d never get inside the fence to herd them to a chute. Even as a really skinny kid I always expected cattle to do as I said. Bison? Nope. At least when you tell a black bear to get out of the trail you can kind of tell what their thinking.

I guess most raised are hybridized to some extent with cattle.

Is the result something less likely to tromp you into the dust?

Best.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostWed Jul 01, 2020 3:01 pm 
What do you expect, they have been hunted by humans for at least 50,000 years.

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper

Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 3:49 pm 
There used to be a few pastured by the Wenatchee River just out of ....Wenatchee.  I do not know what they did with them.  My folks would go by there with us just to look at them.

--------------
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon

PostWed Jul 01, 2020 4:46 pm 
No risk no reward!!! Gotta lay it all on the line if you want to GET that pic of you with the BIG BISON. It gives you mega cred!!!

--------------
YOU NEVER KNOW!!
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > bison goring
Jump to:   
Search this topic: