Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > WA state will soon require facemasks statewide
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 12:49 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
It confuses me.
Me too. If it was strictly a Darwinism thing, I'd be OK with the free-will choices of others. But when others opt against wearing a mask in crowded public places, it affects me. I'm all for freedom, but in this case it could be spelled a little differently.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
This "Mandate" cannot and will not be enforced
I'm glad we agree speed limits on the Mountain Loop Highway aren't "mandatory." You should drive as fast as you can there. Everybody should attend up for their freedom to do 100 mph through Verlot.
Ironically that’s pretty much true, there is little to no speed limit enforcement out my way. A neighbors friend got pulled over a while back going about 85 and the sheriff stopped him, gave him a warning and said to keep it under 70. It does get annoying going tailgated constantly (mainly by millennial hiker) while I am going 50-55 in a 45 mph zone. Today at Freddy’s I would say 85-90 percent were masked up. I gave in to “peer pressure” not really, and got a mask from the customer service desk.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 4:45 pm 
Around here, no mask, no entry. Period, end of story. Some businesses have "greeters" enforcing the rule. 99% trouble free compliance plus a few jerks who get their panties in a bunch. So far 15 positive cases all brought in from off-island. 3 in the last week or so since the inundation has begun.

Waterman

Waterman
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 6:33 pm 
I work onboard the Samish and am amazed how many come onboard without one. Mostly tourists but some locals. Quite a few get huffy when i point out they should mask up. Its like working in a petri dish some days.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 6:36 am 
I lost my place on facebook but was reading comments. According to the health department, 22 new cases have been found since Friday here. Looks like the reopening is working well. The Stupid are still with us, using the same misinformation, still comparing it to the flu, still claiming that mask wearing is dangerous, and more than a few seeming to think that since only two people have died here, that it isn't bad to get sick from Covid at all. I doubt if they are even thinking about the financial costs of treatment should they be hospitalized, or the side effects of the virus, or even thinking about anything. A depressing read on a cloudy morning. I feel our education system is a failure when it comes to teaching how to research and make decisions sanely.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 7:34 am 
A saying comes to mind that seems appropriate for this discussion: Your right to throw a punch stops at the tip of the other person's nose. So sure, all you unpatriotic ignorant door knob and toilet seat lickers, go ahead, don't wear a mask. Spew your saliva and snot everywhere around you in your own home and vehicle. However, you have no right to expose others to your bodily fluids so don't get into my space/face and violate my rights to health and happiness when you do go mask-less.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 3:34 am 
catsp wrote:
Not difficult to find.
well... except for the fact that the case you've cited was a class action suit, not one brought against a defendant by an individual. (see the text of my post.)
Jeff Leeds, reporting for The Los Angeles Times wrote:
Washington Lawyer’s Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs, which filed the Maryland lawsuit.
again: reading comprehension skills seem to be an issue. nice try, though. thanks for playing!

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 7:26 am 
No surprise, but the local pawn/gun shop has a no face masks sign outside. Something about defending freedom and the circle slash over a facemask. Good to know that our freedom is being defended by a pawn shop! The future looks bright.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Damian

Damian
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 7:52 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Good to know that our freedom is being defended by a pawn shop! The future looks bright.
Such poetic irony. 😂

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 9:08 am 
I read a thread on a facebook site which was taken down and it is apparent that many people still don't understand the concept of wearing a mask. Over and over again I saw the statement "Wearing a mask doesn't protect me from the virus." Apparently the lessons of preschool, Mr. Rogers and kindergarten did not reach the multitudes of Okanogan County. That would be the concept of thinking about others. Wish a competent ad agency would come up with a catchy slogan and a leader to get the word out to The Stupid. If that offends you, please come up with a better name for a group that doesn't appear to read much, or comprehend much, or care much. The peeing in your pants example might be understood by The Stupid, but don't get your hopes up.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 9:12 am 
Dave Workman, in another thread here long, long ago wrote:
Some people are world-class stupid, and you can't fix that.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 9:30 am 
Ski wrote:
Dave Workman, in another thread here long, long ago wrote:
Some people are world-class stupid, and you can't fix that.
How about it, Dave, been wearing your mask? lol.gif ...and for the folks from Kekistan, no, the protests did not cause a spike: https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2020/06/the-safety-of-outdoor-air-for.html

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
neek

neek
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 9:35 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Apparently the lessons of preschool, Mr. Rogers and kindergarten did not reach the multitudes of Okanogan County.
At my kid's school (you know...back when kids went to school), they are not allowed to use the "s" word. It was only later I realized that word was "stupid". (I'm not sure if he even knows the other one.) Anyway, IMO Mr. Rogers was the best kids' show ever. Too bad it's so hard to find old episodes online. Daniel Tiger just doesn't cut it in my book. Not surprisingly, the kid resists wearing a mask, although we almost never find ourselves in a situation that warrants it (e.g. I don't drag him along to the grocery store, etc.) So, maybe grade schools should place greater emphasis on topics such as probability and statistics, exponential growth, the scientific process (not "method", good grief), and most importantly, how to not be a self-centered jerk.

catsp

catsp
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 9:55 am 
Ski wrote:
catsp wrote:
Not difficult to find.
well... except for the fact that the case you've cited was a class action suit, not one brought against a defendant by an individual. (see the text of my post.)
Jeff Leeds, reporting for The Los Angeles Times wrote:
Washington Lawyer’s Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs, which filed the Maryland lawsuit.
again: reading comprehension skills seem to be an issue.
You wrote "If you can come up with any cases where private individuals have successfully sued businesses for "discrimination"..." By the part you quote it appears that either you mistook the WLC as the plaintiffs, or mistook them as a governmental agency, neither of which appears to be correct. The actual plaintiffs were private individuals, per the article: "The Maryland lawsuit was filed by six U.S. Secret Service officers who stopped at a Denny’s in Annapolis in May, 1993..." The WLC appears to be a private non-profit. It also appears that you might not understand "class actions." As I understand it, a class action is essentially where a few individuals stand in for a larger group of individuals. It doesn't mean it's some sort of governmental action, though I suppose it could be in any particular situation.

neek

neek
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 9:59 am 
Tom wrote:
Can we give the debate about ADA a rest? Nobody wants to see 2 people argue this for half the thread.
Never!