Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pasayten Peakbagging Loop ~~ June 25-28 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
freddyfredpants
saucy

freddyfredpants
saucy
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 6:16 pm 
Sean and I spent four days bagging some peaks on a loop hike in the Pasayten Wilderness from June 25-28. Total distance: 108 miles (37 bike / 71 hike) Vertical gain: 20700' Day 1: Bike from Billy Goat TH to Thirtymile TH Hike Chewuch and Tungsten trails to 5800', then off-trail to Boundary Trail and camp on south ridge. Day 2: Summit Bauerman Ridge, return to BT Leave BT again around 6800' to scramble the SE ridge of Wolframite, return to BT at Tungsten Creek Ascend Apex from Apex Pass Ascend The Pope from BT Cross over Cathedral Pass and follow BT to FS Cabin in upper Spanish Creek Day 3: BT to 7000' NW of Bald Mtn, tag Bald Continue W down Bald WNW shoulder to regain BT in switchbacks, ford Ashnola River in fast, pants-off, hip deep water (no pix, sorry). Up to Peeve Pass Ascend Sheep Mtn Continue S on Larch Pass Trail 502 Ascend Two Point Camp near trail junction of 502 and 532. Terrible place. Day 4: Ascend Skeptical Butte by NW ridge, descend N slopes Hike 502 Trail in near constant rain to the car at Billy Goat Pass I originally conceived of this trip as Pasayten Fun Time. After the 1st day Sean started calling it the Pasayten Death March. Eventually we settled on Happy Fun Time Pasayten Death March. I think it was a good compromise. The snow cover increases dramatically as one moves west. It is amazing how much difference is observed from one valley to the next. Here are some pretty pictures:
A very sunny Chewuch River Trail
A very sunny Chewuch River Trail
Log crossing near Chewuch/Tungsten intersection
Log crossing near Chewuch/Tungsten intersection
Sean slowly being driven mad by mosquitos. We had both neglected to bring insect repellent or screens of any kind. We both slept very poorly. The mosquitos were relentless and it never cooled down very much overnight. We were up by 430 and hiking by 530.
Sean slowly being driven mad by mosquitos. We had both neglected to bring insect repellent or screens of any kind. We both slept very poorly. The mosquitos were relentless and it never cooled down very much overnight. We were up by 430 and hiking by 530.
Return to sanity on BR
Return to sanity on BR
BR summit area
BR summit area
SE Ridge of Wolframite
SE Ridge of Wolframite
SE Ridge from summit
SE Ridge from summit
Apex and Remmel from Wolframite (photo by Sean)
Apex and Remmel from Wolframite (photo by Sean)
Looking North from slope of Apex. Despite the dry appearance the first couple hundred yards from Apex Pass are still quite squishy.
Looking North from slope of Apex. Despite the dry appearance the first couple hundred yards from Apex Pass are still quite squishy.
North side of Cathedral
North side of Cathedral
Obligatory shot of the US-Canada mow line
Obligatory shot of the US-Canada mow line
Looking north into Canada, eh. Easy to spot by eye, but not showing up in the photo so well is boundary obelisk #95 right above the most sheer cliff on Pope's North Peak.
Looking north into Canada, eh. Easy to spot by eye, but not showing up in the photo so well is boundary obelisk #95 right above the most sheer cliff on Pope's North Peak.
SE Buttress is in. Didn't see anyone on it.
SE Buttress is in. Didn't see anyone on it.
Sheep (photo by Sean)
Sheep (photo by Sean)
Weather getting a little ugly
Weather getting a little ugly
After an hour or so of light mist and rain blue skies came out and so did the smiles
After an hour or so of light mist and rain blue skies came out and so did the smiles
Pano from Bald Mtn
Pano from Bald Mtn
More squishy adventure down the WNW shoulder of Bald Mtn returned us to the BT which was occasionally a bit faint
More squishy adventure down the WNW shoulder of Bald Mtn returned us to the BT which was occasionally a bit faint
I think there was about 3 feet of snow here
I think there was about 3 feet of snow here
Approaching Sheep under low clouds and rain showers
Approaching Sheep under low clouds and rain showers
Beautiful open country, looking back towards Bald Mtn, Remmel, Amos, Andrew, Fred's Mtn...
Beautiful open country, looking back towards Bald Mtn, Remmel, Amos, Andrew, Fred's Mtn...
Heading up Sheep
Heading up Sheep
Snow shower at the top of Sheep, brought on by Sean's rakishly cool demeanor
Snow shower at the top of Sheep, brought on by Sean's rakishly cool demeanor
Weather was much improved for the trip south to Larch Pass (photo by Sean)
Sean had a lot to say here
Sean had a lot to say here
We used a convenient snow finger for the descent from the unnamed pass N of Larch Pass. Corral Peak and Two Point now in our sights.
We used a convenient snow finger for the descent from the unnamed pass N of Larch Pass. Corral Peak and Two Point now in our sights.
We dropped out packs at Larch Pass and sprinted up to get Two Point. Fun almost-scrambling and snow patches along the way sped our progress. RT from packs was about 1 hour.
We dropped out packs at Larch Pass and sprinted up to get Two Point. Fun almost-scrambling and snow patches along the way sped our progress. RT from packs was about 1 hour.
At the top of Two Point with clouds and showers rolling in
At the top of Two Point with clouds and showers rolling in
In retrospect Larch Pass or maybe the green meadow we passed in the way down afterwards might have been a better camp site. We pressed on and found few options. With weather and darkness closing in we settled on Widowmaker Camp around 6200' near the junction of 502 and 532. Before snapping this shot I asked Sean for an expression of his feelings at that moment.
In retrospect Larch Pass or maybe the green meadow we passed in the way down afterwards might have been a better camp site. We pressed on and found few options. With weather and darkness closing in we settled on Widowmaker Camp around 6200' near the junction of 502 and 532. Before snapping this shot I asked Sean for an expression of his feelings at that moment.
Between rain squalls, enjoying the finest trail cuisine that can be eaten from a bag (photo by Sean)
Between rain squalls, enjoying the finest trail cuisine that can be eaten from a bag (photo by Sean)
It rained all night and was snowing by morning. I was moving by 5 up the NW Ridge to get Skeptical Butte while Sean made sure we both got enough sleep. It's almost like I woke up this morning on a different trip.
It rained all night and was snowing by morning. I was moving by 5 up the NW Ridge to get Skeptical Butte while Sean made sure we both got enough sleep. It's almost like I woke up this morning on a different trip.
North face of Skeptical
North face of Skeptical
After bypassing a scrambly bit on the NW Ridge on the right side around 7600', I went up snow covered talus and scree to the summit area where the wind was blowing and the snow was falling. No shot of the summit. Descended talus to the snow slopes and booted down.
After bypassing a scrambly bit on the NW Ridge on the right side around 7600', I went up snow covered talus and scree to the summit area where the wind was blowing and the snow was falling. No shot of the summit. Descended talus to the snow slopes and booted down.
Packed up and moving before 8. Here's some rain and a swamped out bit of trail.
Packed up and moving before 8. Here's some rain and a swamped out bit of trail.
North face of Billy Goat Mountain near the pass in mixed rain/snow
North face of Billy Goat Mountain near the pass in mixed rain/snow

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 7:12 pm 
freddyfredpants wrote:
Happy Fun Time Pasayten Death March
lol.gif Good seeing a report from you Fred. That's a lot of miles and gain you logged there! Happy fun time indeed...

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 11:35 pm 
Late June and it's snowing on you!!

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 8:19 am 
Man, the tail end of your trip looks so miserable!

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 10:02 am 
You are a couple of crack babies with that distance in that short of time! I love widowmaker camp!

Art is an adventure.
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 7:01 pm 
Way to knock off several pks in not so great weather! Lots of miles and determination. I'm sure you'll finish this year at your pace.

Eric Eames
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Jul 03, 2020 7:47 am 
Some great country back there. Way to stick in there in this Juneuary weather.
freddyfredpants wrote:
Tiny pack for a long multi- day trip. Everything you need ( except headnet or spray😣 ), nothing you don't . "Travel light, freeze at night."

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still