Forum Index > Gear Talk > Electric Bikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu May 28, 2020 11:29 am 
Interesting looking bike from Gogoro. They mostly make electric scooters. Carbon fiber with no seat downtube in the middle, only 27.5 lbs. All the electrical components are built into the rear hub so it can be swappable with future designs. Expensive though, $3500. Gogoro Eeyo bike

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu May 28, 2020 1:11 pm 
Carbon frames (and handlebars) tend to be more comfortable than aluminum. There are exceptions to every rule but that's been my experience and a great many other people's too. They don't vibrate as much, so you feel less road buzz. Steel too. Carbon is incredibly strong, but it's also fragile if it gets abused in ways it wasn't intended to withstand. I cracked a carbon frame with the lanyard on a water bottle. Tap tap tap, crack.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 4:33 pm 
Rode from Conconully to Salmon Meadows. It isn't very far but it is quite a climb. I've never had to use the Turbo assist (while in granny gear) much until today. I had the place to myself. It's too early for the wildflower display in the meadow.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jun 02, 2020 10:34 am 
Beautiful pics TS! Thanks for posting. I'd love to see more photos of where everyone is riding. 😍

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jun 02, 2020 12:25 pm 
On the way up, I stopped at a not quite flat place to eat a bit and swill some water. A white haired lady in a red car stopped on her way down. I asked if she'd been up to Salmon Meadows and she said yes, the road was fine. She asked if that was where I was going. After I nodded she said I should get a gas engine put on to go up there.
This is where I took off from--Conconully SP. It is only open for day use right now.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jun 23, 2020 6:31 am 
It would be great if the Park Service could shut down the road to cars once or twice a week, or month and allow bikes and walkers on the road. I wanted to ride this, but I guess I missed it again. Note that there are several Radminis and a cargo bike shown.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 2:55 pm 
This isn't a mountain bike, it is intended for in and around town, though it could be used for FS roads as well. I understand though a new company the people involved are from other e-bike companies and have a good amount of experience. And especially interesting to me is the price point of the bike.
Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 3:37 pm 
Don't get me going on Dost bikes ha. The motor they chose to use is long is past its life cycle. Lots of marketing hype. They took liberties with the review that electric bike review did and quoted things that weren't even said in the review.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 6:55 pm 
Tom wrote:
The motor they chose to use is long is past its life cycle.
I would say it has been around for a long time so obviously it isn't the latest or greatest. But like the old Chrysler slant six, sometimes that makes for dependebility. And for the purpose this bike is designed for, that ain't too bad of a tradeoff. YMMV Anyway, I simply threw this out there as a bike that seems to fill a niche. From everything I have gathered about these new bikes, the components are all middle of the road stuff. We shall see after a few months what users have to say about the bike. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jul 03, 2020 7:03 am 
Mechanics did not like to work on the slant six. Our mechanic hated our Valiant. Other than that, it was a very reliable and durable car, except a pin kept coming loose so you had to skip second gear when shifting sometimes in its later life. I have been riding my Gazelle Arroyo on FS and county roads that are not paved. I turned back on one road when encountering sand. I probably should have let some air out of the tires but I didn't want to.

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostSat Jul 04, 2020 8:47 pm 
I did this trail on my Rover last week - Hansen Ridge Trail It was a bit of stretch for such a big, heavy bike but managed to do nearly the whole thing even though the battery was nearly completely drained at the finish. ~Slim

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jul 04, 2020 9:49 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
It would be great if the Park Service could shut down the road to cars once or twice a week,
Or if American motorists weren't always is just a damn hurry that they treat having to steer and brake and a few seconds or minutes minutes added to their travel time as a crime against humanity.

Waterman

Waterman
PostSun Jul 05, 2020 1:01 pm 
Anyone know how Rambo bikes compare to others? Just starting to do research on e bikes.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 05, 2020 1:25 pm 
Rambo are basically the same imported Chinese bikes that other companies sell. If you are looking at hunting bikes there are the 3 companies that typically market to hunters. https://ebikegeneration.com/blogs/news/quietkat-v-rambo-the-best-hunting-electric-bike-brands The higher end models are overpriced by a good $2-3K vs. buying direct from FREY in China. For example, the Jeep e-bike from Quiet Kat is made by FREY and is a FAT 1000 with integrated battery. You can save at least $1K buying direct from FREY, even with high shipping costs. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=101679 That said, if you want the best hunting bike available and aren't put off by investing more than $5K for an ebike look no further than Watt Wagons. Similar money as the higher end offerings from Rambo, QuietKat, Bakcou, etc. but you won't be getting ripped off. Everything is premium, no short cuts, world class customer service.

Waterman

Waterman
PostSun Jul 05, 2020 3:10 pm 
Thanks Tom for pointing me in the right direction.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost