Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hi Way 2 and Eagle Falls
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 6:02 am 
Anyone get stuck in the Highway 2 traffic back up to Heybrook Lookout trail head yesterday? What a mess. The there was the cluster of cars and people crossing the highway at Eagle Falls. Cars were parked half way into the East bound lane, quite the mess. There is talk of closing the area wouldn't hurt my feelings. On a weekday its almost as bad as it seems to be quite the gathering spot for not practicing social distancing.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rossb

rossb
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 12:17 pm 
Last time I drove 2, there wasn't much going on at Heybrook. On the other hand, Eagle Falls was a complete madhouse. It was the first nice day in a long time, and a Friday. I guess it has become a really popular place for people to cool off.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 12:40 pm 
Yes, let's take away all recreation, it's not safe and is an annoyance to others.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 2:59 pm 
I'd like to see what it looks like now....No, actually I wouldn't https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8023778

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 3:31 pm 
Millennials, they seem to want to destroy everything, businesses, cop cars, statues, nature, etc. I feel that a lack of disciplining has created a generation of anarchists and miscreants. shakehead.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 5:44 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Millennials, they seem to want to destroy everything, businesses, cop cars, statues, nature, etc.
Yawn. Every older generation says this about the one that follows.
Chief Joseph wrote:
I feel that a lack of disciplining has created a generation of anarchists and miscreants. shakehead.gif
Sounds like a problem attributed to the previous generation.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 6:19 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
Millennials, they seem to want to destroy everything, businesses, cop cars, statues, nature, etc.
Yawn. Every older generation says this about the one that follows.
True, but I would venture to say that it's getting worse with each generation, things like respect and work ethic are going away. I do like the Graffiti (art) on Train box cars, gives you something to look at while waiting for the train to pass. Seems like they no longer paint over it or attempt to remove it.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 9:21 pm 
Why post a quote from the previous post? Sane people don’t want to read sickening brainwashing.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 10:07 pm 
Eagle falls that spot comin' round that corner there when you're comin' round that corner westbound out a' Baring?? Fishin' decent?

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 11:03 pm 
One day last week when we went by there we watched a family of nine climb up some boulders and get on the railroad tracks above the parking area. Wondered what the attraction was other than being frontrunners for this year’s Darwin Award. dizzy.gif Didn’t someone die near Eagle Falls recently?

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 11:53 pm 
Nancyann - perhaps you're thinking of the fatalities that frequently occur at Sunset Falls?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Jul 07, 2020 5:34 am 
No there is several fatalities at Eagle Falls more so than Sunset Falls because more people are at Eagle Falls. Just this past weekend I saw people packing float tubes to float down the falls and a ton of people sitting on the old rock made guardrail to watch. If that isn't worthy of Darwin awards I don't know what is.

rossb

rossb
PostTue Jul 07, 2020 8:34 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Eagle falls that spot comin' round that corner there when you're comin' round that corner westbound out a' Baring??
Yeah, that's it. There is a caution sign to slow down, but otherwise there is no warning, since it is essentially a blind corner. Even if you have been on that road hundreds of times, it is worth slowing down a lot more than in the past on a nice day. There is a good chance you'll come around that corner and see a bunch of people on the road, with cars parked on both sides. Last time I had a motor home cross the center line and get into my lane (to avoid people on the edge) while I was trying to avoid people on my side -- not fun. Heybrook is much easier to manage, in my opinion. Even if it is crowded, visibility is good, so I can see when someone decides to pull out into the highway from a long ways off.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jul 07, 2020 6:59 pm 
Sky Hiker wrote:
No there is several fatalities at Eagle Falls more so than Sunset Falls because more people are at Eagle Falls. Just this past weekend I saw people packing float tubes to float down the falls and a ton of people sitting on the old rock made guardrail to watch. If that isn't worthy of Darwin awards I don't know what is.
Makes sense, Eagle falls in far more visible from the highway. Also to the uninitiated running Eagle falls on a inner tube might seem like NBFD. While only a idiot can look at Sunset falls and think no problem.

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 2:47 pm 
I timed it to be heading eastbound in the afternoon and marveled at the backup from folks who still don't know to not come back over 2 on Sunday. Heybrook, Eagle Falls and Deception Falls ALL had cars sticking out into the lanes of 2. Yes to folks walking the tracks and along side cars at Eagle as if it as not a major highway. Parking at the trailhead for Deception Creek, there was a couple with a BABY STROLLER heading down to walk the highway back to the falls. No, really. Noticed on the way home Tuesday that the parking lot for Deception Falls was closed. It did make me happy to see the diversity of the crowds at Eagle Falls but the sheer numbers is not safe. I do believe someone drowns yearly there? They need to close it or figure out how to manage the crowds.

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.