Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Old railroad maps
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Jul 13, 2020 10:05 am 
I just discovered that up until the 1920's, there was a logging railroad that came right through my neighborhood in east Woodinville (halfway to Duvall), partly passing straight down the road and partly through a depression in the brush, then continuing along an old trail towards Echo lake and north to Everett. Anyone know anyplace online where I could find more old maps of this kind of stuff?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Jul 13, 2020 12:05 pm 
The Tacoma Public Library operates a section called the Northwest Room. Its interest is solely around history of the Northwest. You can contact them for help or wade through their collection. https://www.tacomalibrary.org/northwest-room/

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Jul 13, 2020 1:31 pm 
https://www.openrailwaymap.org/ has some abandoned railroad lines, like the Everett & Monte Cristo. Maybe it has your railroad route. It's really part of OpenStreetMap, using their data somehow. After a lot of fooling around, I even managed to get the E&MC map onto Gaia, but probably could't repeat that without a few hours time. For Snohomish County, look at this: https://www.gfhistory.org/Maps.html

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 12:03 pm 
Mike: Thanks for the info from Tacoma (where I grew up). Nice historical touch! (I hated history in school, but as I age, I like it much more!) Riverside: Great links! This is exactly what I was hoping for. I'm just surprised I didn't find it in my searching. I originally found a faint sketch of the former railroads using OpenStreetMap, but it was on the default layer and not nearly as easy to see. We have a few big 6' wide stumps on our property, and I suspect the trees probably found their way to the saw mill using these logging trains, where one of the spurs passed very near to my home.

fn1889m

fn1889m
PostSat Jul 18, 2020 9:37 am 
Dennis Thompson’s book, Logging Railroads in Skagit County, is awesome. I am sure he suffers from OCD. Beautiful maps and photos. He essentially wrote a Ph.D thesis on his own time. There is apparently a network of like minded hobbyists who research this topic.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Jul 18, 2020 3:22 pm 
$630 for a used paperback version! Looks like a good one to check out from a library (some day...). But it does look like a cool book.

mike

mike
PostSat Jul 18, 2020 6:02 pm 
Logging Railroads in Skagit County Thompson, Dennis Blake Around $40-50 Easton's has some copies