Forum Index > Trail Talk > FB group Washington hikers and climbers a good or bad thing?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostMon Jul 13, 2020 10:40 pm 
This thread can be trashed if this has been discussed before or inappropriate but was curious of others thoughts? It always seems like a nice concept for beginners but damn, it really makes me concerned of all the geotagging to 100k (majority novice) hikers. And it seems as if moderators like to turn off all comments when people just want to share basic LNT principals. I’ve always felt comfortable on NWhikers and learned so much from this forum in a responsible way. Is there anyway to get their moderators on board in assisting protecting these sensitive areas without people complaining of elitist mentality? Sometimes I wish I could get the group removed but maybe I’m just a bitter person who wants to keep these places secret unless you’re willing to work a little bit. 🤦🏽‍♂️

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Jul 13, 2020 10:42 pm 
Not a big fan!!! Buncha rubes. Amateur hour over there!! I consider myself to be above them. I look down upon that group and the geotagging b'haviors! I take my hiking career seriously!! Whereas over there you get these types that only hike the 'snake and snow lake!! 'Ccasionally 'chuck.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 6:18 am 
Not a fan of what I have seen on there either. Not that I am paying much attention just an occasional stop by after it has been mentioned somewhere

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 9:34 am 
Literal social media addicts. Someone posts a really nice pic of a lake or peak and says "The most amazing place I've ever been!" without saying where it was just so they can get dozens of replies like "omg where is that?, "plz tell us where this is!" Etc Narcissists and dopamine addicts farming for likes and replies like druggies looking for a used needle in the street that might have a trace of heroin left in it. These people are the same insects who see someone dying in a car crash and pull out their phone to video it while crying about how traumatized they are seeing it and then post it on Twitter hoping it goes viral.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 9:48 am 
Facebook is really unhealthy for a multitude of reasons. Glad to be off of it.

timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 9:54 am 
You can't tell me that nearly everyone of those pictures have not been enhanced. Some of those make a garbage dump look like the Taj Mahal

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 11:28 am 
Bad thing. You needn't read past "FB" to know that. biggrin.gif

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 11:28 am 
I got kicked out of there for being too snarky with the noobs

Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 12:25 pm 
Well glad I’m not the only one. Ha maybe we can get a petition to have that group removed? Seems like there are petitions for every other self righteous deed. If anything, getting a group with 144k people dismantled would make a HUGE impact in what trails get overused. I’ve noticed most people I talk to on trails seem to use that as a source of info, regardless of how toxic and bad an example, it couldn’t hurt or at least get those moderators to make it a rule against geotagging. 🤷🏽‍♂️ I don’t think it’s wrong to have accessible info but, let’s not just toss every ignorant being a cookie to have the opportunity to take a dump and leave their used TP right next to a tarn.

Animal Chin

Animal Chin
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 12:36 pm 
I have been saying the same thing about that site for a couple of years now. I am tired of people posting about "A great place for solitude" and then telling one hundred plus thousand people where it is at. One posting can turn a once great place into a crowded mess of people. I really hope that group would get shut down. The problem is that another group will pop up to replace it.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 12:51 pm 
The moderators over there are these power tripping egotist types!! They ALWAYS side with the ignorant noobs and LOVE the feeling of ULTIMATE POWER they get when they kick someone off. Sad!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 1:25 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
The moderators over there are these power tripping egotist types!! They ALWAYS side with the ignorant noobs... Sad!
embarassedlaugh.gif I love a sarcastic sense of humor.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 1:41 pm 
Animal Chin wrote:
I am tired of people posting about "A great place for solitude" and then telling one hundred plus thousand people where it is at.
Not long ago, we were saying the same thing about Outside and Backpacker magazines.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 1:43 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
embarassedlaugh.gif I love a sarcastic sense of humor.
BigBrunyon's posts are fantastic. smile.gif

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 4:01 pm 
I lurk there to see where not to go and what's going to be destroyed next. Last month was Colchuck Lake & it looks like Grand Park is next