Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pk 7880' "Vulcan Pk" 7/18-19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Jul 19, 2020 7:50 pm 
Pk 7880', Vulcan Pk is ~1mile NW of Logan Pk in the North Cascades I started out hiking the Thunder creek trail around 6:30 am on Saturday morning. The trail is in great shape as I only encountered 1 hiker near the Neve camp probably just getting a little morning walk in. I startled a bear above the Tricouni camp near some good looking huckleberries. It ran uphill and I could only get a distance picture of it.
bear
bear
I also saw 4 deer run from me just before Junction camp as I looked for the Fisher Cr trail. The trail was good except for a big washout area, it required an uphill reroute that was flagged and got past it.
fisher creek forest
fisher creek forest
I aimed for the drainage about 3.75 miles past the Junction camp. Once over the log bridge, I headed uphill to soon find either a climbers path or a game trail. Either way, it was good to follow something that was a steep climb. I stayed within 100yds from the roaring creek with times getting nice views of the cascading waterfalls!
waterfalls
waterfalls
I lost the trail a couple of times and some bushwhacking was had. I did find a better way back down but as I got near to the beautiful alpine lake at 5160', I noticed a deer taking a little swim in the hot weather. I didn't catch it on my camera but it was cool to see.
lake 5160
lake 5160
I headed East of the lake as the surrounding area was a bit marshy. I found a way to jump the incoming creek and get past some brush to head to the Vulcan glacier above. Loose rocks and travel was slow until hitting snow at 6000' I put on crampons and chose to go straight up the glacier terminus although it was steep. I made good time to Christmas Col where the views over to Logan were outstanding!
Logan
Logan
glacial lake
glacial lake
I dropped down the extremely loose and earth moving col. Every step moved the earth. I eventually made my way to the West side of the glacial lake where I'd drop my overnight gear for camp at 2:30pm I still had plenty of time in the day to go for the summit of Vulcan. Unfortunately, I aimed for the false summit from camp.
false summit of Vulcan
false summit of Vulcan
I scrambled and climbed low 5th class to this false summit before looking West to the true summit. Ah, what a view but very disappointing that I got this wrong. It took some more 5th class moves to get down it's West ridge, although i had a small rope for anything I couldn't downclimb. More ups and downs were had and some gendarmes crossed to visit the true Vulcan summit.
Vulcan summit
Vulcan summit
I saw the rock cairn hoping to see a register from this not often climbed pk. No register was seen but I looked a up the history of this Pk and it looks as if Dan sjolseth and cliff lawson made the 1st ascent in '75 The views were better than expected!
Logan from Vulcan
Logan from Vulcan
Red mtn
Red mtn
I found a much easier way down to the lake without having to go over the false summits again. At camp, I wanted to drop down to the outflow of the lake and wash off. It was the coldest water I've been in!!! It hurt going in just knee deep. I've crossed other glacial fed streams and jumped in snow lined waters but this was cold. I didn't stay more than 10 seconds before exiting.
Banded glacial lake
Banded glacial lake
I cooked dinner while admiring the former Banded Glacier territory. This area is now a big barron land with a huge lake and little plant life. The glacier no longer touches the lake on it's terminus tongue.
my bivy
my bivy
I went to bed early, I was tired after the long 1st day. It was a dark night but I woke up early to try and get back to the TH by noon.
morning sun on Eldorado
morning sun on Eldorado
I was packed up and hiking before 6am The loose talus back up to Christmas col was the worst but everything afterwards was quick.
last look at Vulcan
last look at Vulcan
I only found a couple other parties more than a couple miles from the Thunder Cr TH. I jogged at times to reach my goal and made it to the TH a little before noon. 35.5 miles 10500' gain 2 days well worth the views!

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Jul 20, 2020 3:33 am 
Wow, Eric. What a neat idea for a trip. Really enjoyed this report and your photos. Do you know if this is a 2nd ascent?

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Jul 20, 2020 5:31 am 
It is possibly a third ascent. Mike Torok climbed Vulcan in June, 2011. It had a register at that time with an entry date of the first ascent by Dan Sjolseth on September 26, 1968.

RichP

RichP
PostMon Jul 20, 2020 6:56 am 
Beautiful and lonely. Still places like this for those who seek them out.

geyer

geyer
PostMon Jul 20, 2020 12:31 pm 
Wow! I was coincidentally looking at this exact spot last week dreaming about a photo idea with the lake in the foreground and logan in the back. Now I definitely want to make it happen

Jonny V

Jonny V
PostMon Jul 20, 2020 12:32 pm 
Wow, what a great trip! Your shot “Logan from Vulcan” with the lake might be the coolest angle on Logan I’ve ever seen.

There's time to conceive in and time to expire though the time twixt the two tells the tale that transpires - "Time Waits For No One", Ambrosia
silence

silence
PostMon Jul 20, 2020 1:16 pm 
In addition to your amazing climbs, your "on the move" photos always blow me away. Nice work bud! up.gif up.gif up.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jul 20, 2020 1:26 pm 
Wow, everything about that trip looks amazing. The lake you camped at and the lake below Logan are both stunning. I saw a bear when I was nearing Junction Camp last spring. It didn't hang around long.

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jul 20, 2020 2:01 pm 
Mike Collins. Did you reach this summit???? Or did you have to abandon the ascent because of a tipsy boulder on your ascent?

Art is an adventure.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Jul 20, 2020 2:32 pm 
I never made the top of this peak. My accident happened on the traverse over there from Thunder Peak. Banded Glacier was definitely a glacier when I visited. Not quite feeling it yet to return.

Dansjolseth

Dansjolseth
PostSat Jul 25, 2020 11:52 am 
Eric asked me to post some historical photos I took of several trips I made in the area between 1968 and about 1980. Included is a photo of the original FA register and some photos which show the extent of the Lower Banded Glacier. One of those photos was taken from Ragged Ridge. I do recall of on the FA trip we did not have crampons and getting to Christmas Tree GAP was horrifying. Getting down was worse. https://photos.app.goo.gl/JhVvZa2bH7KWPwTh9
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/zN5QCMfR1-
_T5zf_DTnhbhxkQ_AaJoek2-YZFQxGCo3ksd-zIT5MvRZJGU0sFero8ZYSkjRO0yauHTrQevu6Xd5SEScy22k-dmX_UEqPNr91DKS6B0=s800[/img]

iron

iron
PostTue Mar 23, 2021 12:02 am 
raising3hikers wrote:
Logan from Vulcan
Logan from Vulcan
$$$