Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chikamin Peak 7/18-19/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kloria

kloria
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 9:18 pm 
Dates: July 18-19, 2019 Distance: 18.4 miles Ascent: 5,800' I originally had a nice, descriptive trip report typed out until my computer crashed and all my work was erased. I now feel defeated and have no desire to re-type everything. This past weekend, the old lady and I, took off from Mineral Creek to scramble Chikamin Peak and see the many waterfalls that were expected to be flowing around Glacier Lake. After about 1.8 miles from the TH, the trail becomes annoyingly brushy. It's not that bad, but its also terrible... you know? If I had to do it all over again I'd wear pants or gaiters to make it a bit more enjoyable. The brush lasts for about 2.5-3 miles.
Crossing the Mineral Creek
Crossing the Mineral Creek
Trail Foliage
Trail Foliage
Trail Insects
Trail Insects
Cue Guns N' Roses
Cue Guns N' Roses
Welcome to the Jungle!
Welcome to the Jungle!
We ate lunch at Park Lakes and went on our way towards Chikamin Pass. Just before descending we passed a group of three who said they were turning back because the snow slope to dip down into Glacier Lake was too steep. We took a peek and felt fine with it. We glissaded the first patch of snow with our hiking poles, staying towards the skiers right. Once on a heather slope, we scrambled down approximately 50% of the descent on dry ground then glissaded the remainder to the bottom.
Nearing Chikamin Pass
Nearing Chikamin Pass
Descending into Glacier Lake Area
Descending into Glacier Lake Area
It was an easy walk on intermittent snow to Glacier Lake. We were careful to avoid any potential streams under the surface.
First views of Glacier Lake
First views of Glacier Lake
We paused to take in the views then continued around the lake. We had hoped of summiting Chikamin in the morning so we walked fully around the lake and found a great spot to pitch the tent on a large flat rock with views above the falls.
Beautiful Spot!
Beautiful Spot!
Making our way around the lake
Making our way around the lake
Awesome
Awesome
Boulder Hopping
Boulder Hopping
Passing through little cave
Passing through little cave
Looking for a camp
Looking for a camp
Lemah from our campsite
Lemah from our campsite
Dinner and a view
Dinner and a view
Melting Lake
Melting Lake
The next morning we woke up around 5:30am, had our coffee, and started up the climbers trail towards Chikamin Peak. We each had only our boots and single hiking pole each. The snow was soft and we felt comfortable on the snow fields we had to pass over. Our goal was to stick to dry ground as much as possible. Only a few sections of snow needed to be crossed to link the dry patches of rock/grass together.
Morning light
Morning light
Four Brothers
Four Brothers
Ascending towards Chikamin
Ascending towards Chikamin
Shelter on Chikamin Ridge
Shelter on Chikamin Ridge
Looking South from the summit
Looking South from the summit
Lemah One and Chikamin Lake
Lemah One and Chikamin Lake
Stuart
Stuart
Relaxing before heading back down
Relaxing before heading back down
Red rock
Red rock
Representative of what the majority of the route looked like for us
Representative of what the majority of the route looked like for us
Small scramble section to get up onto the big slabs/ main slope
Small scramble section to get up onto the big slabs/ main slope
Good view showing what the route mostly looks like
Good view showing what the route mostly looks like
Icebergs in a no name lake
Icebergs in a no name lake
Heading home
Heading home
No name lake
No name lake
On our way back, at the no name lake, we spotted a single hiker coming towards us and a group of three heading back towards Glacier Lake. I briefly described the route to the guy and he said that the group of three were turning back because the route looked like it had too much steep snow huh.gif .
Packing up
Packing up
I have 12 of these photos all framed exactly the same way... cool
I have 12 of these photos all framed exactly the same way... cool
Hiking out
Hiking out
Scrambling back up to Chikamin Pass
Scrambling back up to Chikamin Pass
Overall it was a great outing. Lane wished she brought micro spikes for the snow sections up to Chikamin but I didnt think they were necessary. Mosquitoes were a pain. More photos here, https://kyleloria.smugmug.com/Outdoor/Adventures/Chikamin-Peak-Glacier-Lake/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 11:52 pm 
up.gif Such a cool area around there. I'm not sure if it's your no name lake, but I've seen reference to something that is at least unofficially known as Chicka-Bro (cuz it's between Chickamin and Four Brothers hockeygrin.gif ).

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 9:19 am 
Nice! It's nuts to see so much snow piled up on Glacier Lake at this time in the year - when I went in June 2015 (a crazy dry year), there was zero snow anywhere!

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 9:47 am 
Nice trip did you go swimming

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 1:09 pm 
Nice! I love that area. The brush on the Mineral Creek trail really makes you work for the prize smile.gif

pula58

pula58
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 1:34 pm 
Nice photos! My wife and I made our way back from Chikamin in the rain, and boy did we get soaked in that brushy section of the mineral creek trail!

neek

neek
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 2:56 pm 
kloria wrote:
Melting Lake
Melting Lake
this is really cool full size.
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I'm not sure if it's your no name lake, but I've seen reference to something that is at least unofficially known as Chicka-Bro (cuz it's between Chickamin and Four Brothers hockeygrin.gif ).
that's the worst informal lake name i've ever heard!

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 4:40 pm 
pula58 wrote:
My wife and I made our way back from Chikamin in the rain, and boy did we get soaked in that brushy section of the mineral creek trail!
I didn't think there was a way to make the mineral creek trail experience worse, but now I realize there is! It might have been hot, buggy, and brushy when I was there, but at least it was dry.

pipedream

pipedream
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 12:43 am 
Somebody really ought to ski that couloir skier's right of the Four Brothers down to Glacier Lake biggrin.gif

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 6:25 am 
My brother Glenn (Glenoid wink.gif ) and I climbed this one when I was a teen ager in the `70s and it looks just about the same. Thanks for the memories and its nice to see a post from there.

glenoid

glenoid
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 6:59 am 
All I remember is finding a green rain jacket and a pair of white BVD"s on top. Of course, the trip up was quite nice. Went via Spectacle (empty back then). The Mineral trail seems a bit more interesting except for the brushwacking section....

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 6:34 pm 
Jeff wrote:
Where is Chikamin Pass?
I thought the reference was to the unnamed pass that brings the hiker from the Mineral Creek drainage into the Gold Creek drainage from what is at that locale the PCT. You are right that there is no Chikamin Pass. I have climbed Chikamin three times and haven't seen Chikamin Pass yet.

SeanSullivan86

SeanSullivan86
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 6:45 pm 
It seems to be a pretty common name in trip reports, as well as in the CAG, and PCT data book.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 8:29 pm 
Kyle!!! Killer photos my man, nice job! This is such a great area, glad you got to spend a couple days up there. Something is missing from your report though. No mention of killer blood thirsty hordes of mosquitoes?! Must not have been that traumatic... lol.gif

kloria

kloria
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 9:18 pm 
Bosterson wrote:
Nice! It's nuts to see so much snow piled up on Glacier Lake at this time in the year - when I went in June 2015 (a crazy dry year), there was zero snow anywhere!
Cool to see, thanks for sharing. It's definitely nice to see the lingering snow. It also kept about 8 people off the route to Chikamin and/or down to Glacier Lake.
timberghost wrote:
Nice trip did you go swimming
Not this time around. Was contemplating a plunge with the icebergs at the no name lake though.
neek wrote:
this is really cool full size.
I spent an extended period of time staring at the spidery cracks in the ice.
pipedream wrote:
Somebody really ought to ski that couloir skier's right of the Four Brothers down to Glacier Lake biggrin.gif
Bold idea and definitely doable. You could take it all the way to the lake for a "pond" skim.
cascadetraverser wrote:
My brother Glenn (Glenoid wink.gif ) and I climbed this one when I was a teen ager in the `70s and it looks just about the same. Thanks for the memories and its nice to see a post from there.
Glad I could jog some memories! Cool thing to be doing in your teens. I was too busy picking my favorite song for my Myspace page.
Jeff wrote:
Where is Chikamin Pass? I don't see it on any maps.
I was referring to the pass you go over right when you leave the PCT and dip into the Gold Creek drainage.
awilsondc wrote:
Kyle!!! Killer photos my man, nice job! This is such a great area, glad you got to spend a couple days up there. Something is missing from your report though. No mention of killer blood thirsty hordes of mosquitoes?! Must not have been that traumatic... lol.gif
Thanks Aaron! The skeeters have left me with a twitch like flick of my right hand. I figure it best to try and not think about them.