Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 12:14 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Roy Jensen

Roy Jensen
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 1:09 pm 
Where is this video from? Where is the toilet? Yes dispersed camping is a significant concern.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 6:19 am 
somebody sure did a number at that site. had to have been more than one person, surprising that none had any concerns!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 10:25 am 
That's a lot of cut trees. rant.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 12:58 pm 
They did some thinning from below. Not too bad of a job 'cept the stumps are too high. Thinning from below is a name for taking the smaller, suppressed trees out and leaving the taller, healthier trees. This makes for more water, sun and nutrients available for the leave trees and creates a healthy forest. It's hard to tell from a video but it looks to me like the trees that are decked have been down longer than the little stumps shown. Perhaps there was a logging operation there a few years ago? If so, those trees might have been left because there are not enough for a log truck load. Unfortunately, that happens. But why have the firewood cutters left it alone?? That's a possible scenario. For the garbage there is no excuse.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 1:56 pm 
^ I thought "pre-commercial thin" when I first watched the video, but there's almost no slash on the ground. They picked up all those little sticks and burned them? I've definitely seen worse, particularly just south of St. Helens at abandoned elk hunting camps. Kind of odd piling those logs up like that - for what purpose?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 6:51 pm 
They did a pretty good job of thinning, but I bet that wasn't the intent. More likely it was cut small trees for campfire and building stuff. Leaving tall stumps like that is frowned upon by foresters. Amongst woods people, it is well known that if you want slash cleaned up, put in a campground or camp spot. People scrounge it up for firewood. It works. We need mobile campgrounds for that purpose. It's almost as good as using goats. There are quite a few leave a big trace type videos on youtube. They're all about survival, not low impact camping. I enjoy one guy who explores around Newfoundland and Labrador and he will cut branches off trees to use for insulation but it doesn't look like many people are out and about where he goes, and he sometimes packs the branches with him in his canoe to use again. There could be many explanations for the missing tree parts, but I think the campfire theory is pretty sound. It must have been a bit smoky burning the green wood. I can't really tell from the video, but the "pile of logs" looks like it is older than the other stuff and may be an old log deck. A log deck is where logs are skidded into and piled and then loaded on a log truck. As I said above, what is left in that pile (deck) is not enough for a log truck load--it wouldn't be economical to haul it out--looks like low value pecker poles, so it may have been left behind. It looks like a pretty tight area for a landing--I can't really tell, but it might be. As for the garbage? Slobs are everywhere.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 7:07 pm 
Ski wrote:
Kind of odd piling those logs up like that - for what purpose?
Trying to emulate "Survivor Lilly" as seen on youtube perhaps? What they apparently don't follow well is that she's on her own (or a relatives) land. ID10TS

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 8:15 am 
Hansen Creek Road off i90 above the Humpback unofficial TH, the site is just before a right curve with a new huge culvert. Not many overflow sites on this road. I don't think its a logging thing, The FS mentioned someone harvesting small logs for their camp. It looked like it'd been there for awhile. The stumps were disturbing, freshly cut. The pile of coals in duff was also disturbing. People being slobs or just never taught ethics? Not all have the same standards.... I'd say speak up and teach the gospel of leaving things natural, unimproved to those who will listen, like at work. Plant seeds in the ears to grow peace in the forests....or something. At least some kind of order.

RichP

RichP
PostSat Jul 25, 2020 11:00 am 
That's not too bad compared to some I've seen. Dispersed camping can be the only option left these days for some folks as campgrounds have gotten expensive and are often at full capacity. In Idaho some rules are posted about burying human waste and carrying out trash at some sites but unfortunately, there are always those that don't bother to read signs.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Jul 25, 2020 10:41 pm 
You know its a rager when you get guys spray paintin' trees!!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jul 26, 2020 4:59 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
You know its a rager when you get guys spray paintin' trees!!
Hey, spray painting trees is a noble profession. You can get paid to do it. Maybe they have a career in mind and were practicing.