Forum Index > Trail Talk > FB group Washington hikers and climbers a good or bad thing?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 12:06 pm 
Here is a hot spot road: Dosewallips Road - which I am glad has been down for a while. The Dose Meadows area needed a rest 20 years ago. I've been back twice since the washouts (2012 and last year). A pretty challenging bike ride with a full 5 day pack on. But the region has recovered nicely from the overcrowding before the washouts and is back to full occupancy. Now it is the realm of the long distance hiker to whom an additional 6.5 miles is nothing. The "short cut" to Dose Meadows is over Grand, Cameron and Lost Passes - about the same mileage as the old way...but with quite a bit more elevation gain/loss. I've been in there from that route a couple of times now. The hike back out is brutal - but glorious. I have come to love climbing Grand Pass from the Cameron Creek side.
BTW- I'm 59, shattered shoulder and a pinned hip and hurricane food around my mid section, so no physical specimen, just determined, and willing to suffer for my solitude. Comfort is one of those things that is destroying the planet. Everyone wants a life of ease. I like to earn my turns.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 12:10 pm 
Randito wrote:
North Fork of the Skykomish,
It's a mile and a half from the current N Fk trailhead to the original N Fk trail head as a result of the Wild Sky closure. Not a deal-breaker. Suiattle Rd is open but in horrendous condition (same with Boulder River). Budget issues on those two. I wish they'd get the budget for the trails in the White Chuck watershed. They started that just before the floods hit. It's a wealth of beauty back there. The raod was supposed to have been a "walkable tread." Which would have been fine, since it's only 3 miles - but so far as I know it's all blowdown, and the Meadow Mtn system of trails has stalled. frown.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 12:21 pm 
Those in charge of the wa h/c group are never going to blow it up because, like I've said, they are in it for the feelings of power.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 1:46 pm 
You want no one else to trample your precious secret places ... move to Siberia! I hate to mention the e-word because it triggers so many fragile souls here at NWHikers, but that's exactly the vibe some here are giving off. Anyway, it is both trails and access roads which are in need of TLC in our PNW. This funnels the increased users into fewer accessible THs and trails. Additionally, we need more backcountry rangers out encouraging people to play nice. And yes, all this will require more funding from the general public because user fees just ain't ever going to cover the costs. Rumi <~~~~elite but not elitist

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 1:48 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
BTW- I'm 59, shattered shoulder and a pinned hip and hurricane food around my mid section, so no physical specimen, just determined, and willing to suffer for my solitude. Comfort is one of those things that is destroying the planet. Everyone wants a life of ease. I like to earn my turns.
up.gif

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 2:36 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
The 10 mile approach road to 3 fingers, probably never be repaired. Maybe a good thing, Goat Flats would likely be destroyed if the Social Media type hikers had easier access.
I miss that trail. It's not worth it doing the extra mileage for me, so I'll just continue to miss it. You're probably right that it would get overrun if it was more easily accessible.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 3:03 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Randito wrote:
North Fork of the Skykomish,
It's a mile and a half from the current N Fk trailhead to the original N Fk trail head as a result of the Wild Sky closure. Not a deal-breaker. Suiattle Rd is open but in horrendous condition (same with Boulder River). Budget issues on those two. I wish they'd get the budget for the trails in the White Chuck watershed. They started that just before the floods hit. It's a wealth of beauty back there. The raod was supposed to have been a "walkable tread." Which would have been fine, since it's only 3 miles - but so far as I know it's all blowdown, and the Meadow Mtn system of trails has stalled. frown.gif
Speaking of budget issues, I was really surprised that they repaired deer creek road given the amount of washouts and rock slides, so I guess there is still hope for other areas. Question about the meadow mountain road-trail, looking on a map it appears that the end of trail is only less than a mile from the PCT. have you or anyone you know hiked it through to the PCT?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 3:21 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Question about the meadow mountain road-trail, looking on a map it appears that the end of trail is only less than a mile from the PCT. have you or anyone you know hiked it through to the PCT?
It's a high route. Not suitable for folks like me. lots of folks have done it and there's info out there. You could head down on the Fire Creek trail past the Fire Chief shelter site and if you can find it at a right-turning switchback, hit the old Glacier View trail to the PCT - but all that's been either abandoned (Glacier View abandoned for decades) or not maintained since 2003 (Fire Creek) that the high route might actually be easier. hmmm.gif I wouldn't mind giving that a shot though (Fire Creek). I'm sorta dumb that way.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Roy Jensen

Roy Jensen
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 9:23 am 
Kim: It is travesty what has happened to the White Chuck road and trail system! I can somewhat understand why the Kennedy Hot Springs trail can't be restored (I loved that trail) but why abandoned the Fire Creek and Glacier View trails? That is on us the hiking community!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 9:29 am 
I hiked White Chuck last summer. Got to the trailhead by driving on a road. There was a Scoobie Doo van (not exactly high clearance) when we arrived, it was gone when we left. Is there a different White Chuck road?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 9:43 am 
The Whitechuck trail to the hot springs? Or Whitechuck Bench, which is indeed a trail with a trail head. Or WHitechuck Mtn (Dan Creek road) . dizzy.gif I'm talking about beyond the Whitechuck Bench trail head. The trail system would be the old Whitechuck trail to the PCT, Fire Creek, Meadow Mtn, none which have good access right now.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 9:48 am 
White Chuck Mountain, for the peak. I thought White Chuck Because was on the MLH outside Darrington?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 11:01 am 
Yes, the Whitechuck Road is opposite-ish the Beaver Lake trail head. Its about 40 feet before the MLH goes gravel. Whitechuck Bench has 2 trail heads; one about a half mile(?) ish past the Boat Launch on whatever that road is, and the other 6 miles down the Whitechuck Road.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 11:16 am 
We were down the white chuck road a couple months ago and were looking for the white chuck bench th, never did find it, we ended up hiking the meadow mountain trail. Where is the Th in relation to the meadow mountain Th and is it clearly marked and right off the road? If so we are apparently blind.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 11:28 am 
It's at the Whitechuck Bridge. about 3 feet after you cross the river, make an acute left into the big open spot. (well it was a big open spot last time I was there. Might be grown over a bit, since the trail was washed out in '03; but it's been re-built since then).