Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Great American Outdoors Act passes....
Previous :: Next Topic  
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman

It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 4:19 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
the House, and earlier the Senate, both by veto-proof majorities. I don’t know if the White House supports it, but it doesn’t matter.

https://www.wta.org/news/signpost/great-american-outdoors-act

I was happy to see some bipartisan support in WA. In Colorado, every GOP Rep voted no, which surprised me a little.

--------------
“The jerking motion of a knee does not reflect the operation of a mind”  Slugman, January 24th 2020
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
RodF

RodF

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 5:33 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I don’t know if the White House supports it, but it doesn’t matter.

Yes, Trump tweeted his endorsement.  Ivanka is scheduled to visit RMNP tomorrow, and can be expected to make a point of that.

--------------
"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir
"the wild is not the opposite of cultivated.  It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman

It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 5:34 pm 
Cool, I hoped he did but hadn’t heard either way.

--------------
“The jerking motion of a knee does not reflect the operation of a mind”  Slugman, January 24th 2020
gb

gb

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 5:37 pm 
RodF wrote:
Ivanka is scheduled to visit RMNP tomorrow, and can be expected to make a point of that.

What a joke. How out of place can one get.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ski
><((((°>

Ski

><((((°>
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 5:46 pm 
well... at least it's not bad news....

WTA's website wrote:
$1.9 billion funding (annually for the next five years) for priority deferred-maintenance projects on federal lands.

$1.9 billion X 5 = 9.5 billion

Currently the National Park Service deferred maintenance backlog is $11.9 BILLION (with a "B") dollars

still leaves $2.4 billion dollars worth of needed repairs and maintenance UNDONE, one of many reasons why Olympic National Park is planning demolition and removal of some area Ranger Stations.

--------------
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski

><((((°>
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 5:48 pm 
Rod wrote:
Ivanka is scheduled to visit RMNP tomorrow

is she serving beans? dizzy.gif

--------------
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Roy Jensen

Roy Jensen

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 7:03 pm 
Wonder how much money of that will trickle down to the local National Forests where major funding for recreation is needed?
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 8:06 pm 
Full text here - its a pretty short bill! 

https://www.congress.gov/116/bills/hr7092/BILLS-116hr7092ih.xml

A couple items; 

1) The money is NOT subject to annual appropriations, so it is there for 5 years.

2) Looks like breakdown of funds is 70% to NPS, 15% to FS and 5% each to BLM, USFWS and BIA.

For USFS that would be $285 M/yr.   Who knows what sort of National ‘holdbacks‘ or pet projects might already be spoken for.  Traditionally, OR and WA - Region 6 - might see something like 10-15% +/- of that total (my guess based on past legislation like this).  That would be $30-35 Million or so.  Spread across 20 National Forests.  Minus any Regional ‘holds’., regional pet projects, etc

Not insignificant....but there are so many ‘needs’; trails, campgrounds, visitor centers, ranger stations, roads, etc, etc
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Great American Outdoors Act passes....
  Happy Birthday DayveeB, Movenhike, clerr!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: