Forum Index > Trip Reports > 62 peaks NV/UT, 100th ultra, 500th P2k, May 24-July 8, 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 2:00 pm 
If you’re only interested in a certain peak, you can use the following index to find it’s general placement in this report. Tikaboo Peak - 7913’ Badger Mountain - 7976’ Peak 6176 Mount Irish - 8743’ Chokecherry Mountain - 8035’ Parsnip Peak - 8916’ Mount Wilson - 9315’ Dutch John Mountain - 8860’ Ward Mountain - 10,936’ Hamels Peak - 10,440’ Middle Schell Peak - 11,795’ Uinta Peak - 11,545’ Taft Peak - 11,706’ South Schell Peak - 11,736’ Major Benchmark West - 9964’ Schell Benchmark - 9938’ Egan Benchmark - 10,120’ Millard Peak - 10,042’ Fortification Range High Point - 8431’ Mount Grafton - 10,990’ Mount Moriah - 12,067’ Elko Mountain - 7505’ Peak 8262 Independence Benchmark - 8314’ South Pequop Benchmark - 9249’ Murdock Mountain - 8312’ Toano Range High Point - 8037’ Goshute Peak - 9610’ Graham Peak - 7563’ Spruce Mountain - 10,262’ Dolly Varden Mountains High Point - 8593’ White Horse Mountain - 8077’ Cherry Creek Benchmark - 10,522’ Telegraph Peak - 9918’ Telegraph Hill - 10,154’ Notch Peak - 9654’ Swasey Peak - 9669’ George H Hansen Peak - 8523’ Ibapah Peak - 12,087’ Red Mountain - 11,588’ Black Crook Peak - 9274’ Champlin Peak - 7504’ North Peak - 11,174’ Mount Nebo - 11,928’ Salt Benchmark - 9997’ Loafer Mountain - 10,687’ Santaquin Peak - 10,685’ Provo Peak - 11,068’ Spanish Fork Peak - 10,192’ American Fork Twin Peaks - 11,489’ Mount Ogden - 9570’ Wellsville Cone - 9356’ Box Elder Peak - 9372’ Logan Peak - 9710’ Naomi Peak - 9979’ Mount Magog - 9750’ Ben Lomond - 9712’ Willard Peak - 9763’ Kings Peak - 13,528’ Dome Peak - 13,103’ Bald Mountain - 11,943’ Grand Castle – 8572’ As conditions for our summer return to WA have not been favorable as of late, we opted to do a road trip instead, and escape the Vegas heat. It was intended to last 3 or 4 weeks, however a series of unseasonable storms hampered our daily schedule, so we extended the trip to 6 weeks. We lost further time detouring to replace a few flat tires and repair several broken elements in the cars suspension. 5-25 Tikaboo Peak – 7913’ This peak is about as close as you can legally get to Area 51 and it has a trail to the summit. It was fun to look through binoculars at all the buildings/towers/runways in this secret military facility. Wish I still owned a telescope, which would have been even better.
Badger Mountain – 7976’ Good summit views, but not a very interesting route.
Peak 6176 Drive up. 5-26 Mount Irish – 8743’ Steep ridge getting above the saddle where you park. There are some nice ponderosas in the upper valley. After the peak we spent some time exploring the petroglyphs.
Chokecherry Mountain – 8035’ We took the Dennis Poulin route. The first half was great, passing the remains of a very old cabin. The horses have created good use trails. We saw 7 horse up-close. The upper ridge is a bit brushy and mostly unpleasant for travel.
5-27 Parsnip Peak – 8916’ This peak was not on our list, but we did it because we were in the area. Saw 4 elk and got one tick in my leg. Some nice groups of aspen near the tops of the peaks.
Mount Wilson – 9315’ Drive up. 5-28 Dutch John Mountain – 8860’ This is a nice steep looking peak which I have been eyeing for a few years now. Several people have reported that getting to the upper ridge crest is a bit tricky steep/loose/cliffy. We were lucky to find a game trail which easily went all the way up. This trail gains the ridge further south, thus avoiding the cliff bands.
fossils
fossils
Harlan Stockman humor
Harlan Stockman humor
Wheeler
Wheeler
Ward Mountain – 10,936’ Bad road. Definitely near the limit of my Subaru. We were stopped by snow at the Defiance Mine road junction, and had to walk several extra miles, but this gave me the idea to do a loop and add an extra peak.
Hamels Peak – 10,440’ The ridge to Hamels is pleasant and scenic. I recommend this one if you are in the area.
5-29 Middle Schell Peak – 11,795’ A two day heat wave and wind storm was in the forecast. We needed to camp high and in a protected canyon. I took Frances to one of my favorite spots in NV located in the Schell Mountains.
I encouraged her to do North Schell which is one I did a few years ago. She was excited for that, so I planned a ridge traverse for myself.
From the end of the road, I went east directly up to the saddle between North and Middle Schell. Far below the saddle, within a 2 minute span, I saw a sleepy fawn, a nonchalant coyote, and a timid buck.
fawn
fawn
buck
buck
Uinta Peak – 11,545’ Plenty of talus along all these ridges. I passed over this peak twice in order to get back to the correct basin for the descent.
Taft Peak – 11,706’ Up the northwest ridge and down the southwest ridge.
South Schell Peak – 11,736’ North ridge. Great looking peak with a good alpine feel.
5-30 Waiting out the heat wave. 5-31 Major Benchmark West – 9964’ Tried several options to drive close to this peak, but couldn’t make it on those roads, so I found an older road for us to hike instead. We saw 2 elk on the way in. This is a pleasant hike with good views of Wheeler and Grafton.
Schell Benchmark – 9938’ Bonus peak with a register. There is evidence that the upper ridge was a traditional native hunting area. Always great to see and appreciate such history.
Wheeler
Wheeler
6-1 Egan Benchmark – 10,120’ The north approach road, which is the better of the two, caused me some anxiety and distress. Even pushing the limits, I had to stop at 7600 feet. Driving the mountain roads in Nevada can be a real challenge! We hiked the road and enjoyed many wildflowers. The top of the mountain was a fin of steep exposed rock with several easy scramble options.
Millard Peak – 10,042’ Decided on a whim to hike up this peak. It’s worth it.
fat and lazy
fat and lazy
6-2 Fortification Range High Point – 8431’ The north part of this range has some nice craggy peaks. When Frances saw the less interesting but higher main peak, she decided to skip it. I was able to follow horse trails for the first half of the hike which made for a longer hike, but perhaps less brush. The second half had some brush, but overall not bad.
6-3 Mount Grafton – 10,990’ We were excited to try a new route on Grafton. Our friend Stavros tried to drive to the main starting area recently, but said the road was damaged in some way and couldn’t get past the first half mile.
From numerous peaks in the area, we could see that the northeast ridge of Grafton might go, but we couldn’t tell if it would be nice or not. As it turns out, it is very nice and very direct with a good road and a good trail the first half, along a creek. Even shorter distance than the old route.
There’s hardly any brush at all and the upper ridge has bristle-cone pines. I don’t know the fate of the old access road, but if you’re wanting Grafton, consider this route.
6-4 Mount Moriah – 12,067’ Based on previous reports we didn’t know if we could drive to this peak. It seems the road has gotten worse over time. Sure enough, on the way up, one of my tires started leaking air. The leak was slow enough that a compressor was sufficient, however we would have to have it examined soon, since I couldn’t locate the damage.
I was able to make it to the trailhead and from there, the hike is short and sweet. Our labored breathing and lack of conversation on the final ridge was an indicator of the altitude. Definitely an enjoyable big-mountain feel, and the highest peak Frances had ever done!
6-5 We detoured a long distance over to Salt Lake City for the nearest Discount Tire store. I can’t say enough good things about this company. You wouldn’t believe what I have known them to do for some customers. They replaced my damaged tire for free and I bought a second tire to protect the AWD differential. As I was checking the weather for the following day, I was disturbed to find a 3 day storm coming. This would be a big system, impossible to avoid by driving to a different area. After much pouty deliberation with myself, I decided we should camp and wait it out in the Ruby Range, which would hopefully offer some protection from the wind. The best spots in Lamoille Canyon were taken, but we found a good spot right at the mouth of the canyon. 6-6 heavy rain 6-7 snow/wind
6-8 snow/wind

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 2:00 pm 
6-9 Elko Mountain – 7505’ Drive up. Peak 8262 Drove to about 6400 feet. Started with this bonus peak first, mostly a road walk. Andy Martin register.
Independence Benchmark – 8314’ The traverse to the main peak passes through some meadows with the best variety of paintbrush either of us have ever seen. I have seen dense clusters of paintbrush before, but never so many colors in one place. Amazing! The backdrop of the Hole in the Mountain Range, further mystified our optical senses.
6-10 South Pequop Benchmark – 9249’ The last few miles of the road are steep and there is one narrow rocky section which is a bit sketchy. From the old mining area, the first part of the hike is dense with small trees, but it quickly opens up. Above 8500 feet it is completely open and at 8700 feet there is a well defined trail (presumably elk), which goes just about all the way.
elk trail
elk trail
Murdock Mountain – 8312’ Complicated drive. I made a Dean Gaudet style driving track log (check peakbagger). We parked right before the narrow slanting section of road and hiked into the canyon to eventually reach the upper southwest ridge. Pleasant hike with nice views.
Toano Range High Point - 8037’ Tried a different variation on the ascent by ending on the northwest ridge. It was brushy, so can’t recommend that. We descended the Richard Carey way and that was very good. Frances disturbed a large snake on this hike and it hissed at her.
6-11 Goshute Peak – 9610’ Another tricky drive, so I posted a track for that one too. I parked where Bob Bolton did, but could have easily gone slightly further to the end of the road.
We got 4 ticks on our clothes on the way up this brushy peak. Did not make us happy at all. To make up for it, I got to see a very rare sort of arrowhead with nice colors. Awesome. Even though we didn’t like the hike, the summit views were some of the best of the trip.
Graham
Graham
Pilot
Pilot
6-12 Graham Peak – 7563’ We tried a shorter route than standard because the Silver Island Canyon road puts you at a higher starting point. I was tempted to puzzle out a direct route through the cliffs, but decided not to do that. Instead we aimed for the obvious lowest saddle and followed the easy northeast ridge from there.
On the way down we discovered a small entrance to what might be a large cave system. By dropping rocks through the hole and listening, we determined that there is a very very deep chamber down there. The hole will need to be cleaned of loose rocks and dirt, but if any cavers want to check it out, I am happy to share the coordinates of the entrance.
6-13 Spruce Mountain – 10,262’ Short road hike. We talked to a man named Randy Jackson for awhile on the summit. In all his decades of peakbagging the Great Basin, we’re the first people he’s encountered on a peak. He told us about some of the multi-pitch first ascents he did in the Ruby Range and even a new route on the north side of Mount Baker in WA. An interesting character.
Dolly Varden Mountains High Point – 8593’ Drive up. Had to gun it to get up some steep sections. I was worried about the sharp rocks on the road and sure enough, this foolishness led to another damaged tire. We changed over to the full-sized spare later that night.
White Horse Mountain – 8077’ Saw 2 wild horses. We made quick work of this peak. The Ken Jones route is pleasant.
6-14 Cherry Creek Benchmark – 10,522’ Interesting hike through an unexpectedly narrow canyon. Bristlecones up high. Found more bones and skulls and antlers on this peak than ever before. There’s also an intact USGS survery tripod still standing on the summit. Have only seen that once before. Very rare indeed.
Telegraph Peak – 9918’ We were getting low on gasoline and there are no stations in this area of Nevada. I wanted to hike another peak in the afternoon, so I left Frances and the car at the Telegraph Hill starting point and walked the road system over to reach this peak. It was longer than necessary, but still enjoyable.
Telegraph Peak
Telegraph Peak
Telegraph Hill
Telegraph Hill
6-15 Telegraph Hill – 10,154’ A very big hill. Pretty basic. Saw a wild horse. What more can I say?
That evening we drove to the starting point for Ray Benchmark, which was the plan for the following day, however it started raining steadily at 2am. The roads in this area could become impassable for several days when fully drenched. At 2:30am we had a quick discussion and decided to pack up the tent and get the hell out, as soon as possible. It’s a good thing we did. The freak rainstorm remained over that area dumping water for several hours, even visible from far away. We got out just in time. At this point the trip completely changed direction. Originally the 3 or 4 week itinerary was focused only on Nevada peaks, but after all the bad roads and bad weather, I decided we deserved some bigger and better peaks, so we moved into Utah, slowly working our way toward the Wasatch and Uinta. 6-16 Notch Peak – 9654’ Had no idea what to expect, but we were so pleasantly surprised! This was one of the best hikes of the trip. An excellent trail through a scenic canyon and then a ridge with exposure on one side. The pictures don’t capture how good it was.
6-17 Swasey Peak – 9669’ Apparently, all the usual suspects used to fight their way up southeast ridge. There are so many accounts of how bad that route is, even leading to injuries. More recently folks have been doing the northwest ridge which is not bad at all. We went that way, taking different variations on the way up and down. Very steep with some brush, but overall ok.
Notch
Notch
George Hansen
George Hansen
6-18 George H Hansen Peak – 8523’ This peak has the reputation of a bear. People work up the steep east side which is very slow because of bad brush. We decided not to do that. There are better routes on the west side and less brush. I picked the ridge which looked best on the map. It worked nicely, but there was still a steep loose traverse to deal with near the top.
Several days later, John Stolk and Grant Meyers repeated our route and were happy to skip the brush of the east side. They were even able to drive all the way to the base of the mountain, no problem. I think I could have as well, if I had tried. 6-19 Ibapah Peak – 12,087’ The road seems to have been improved for a few miles. I parked after the first creek crossing, but could have driven several more miles. We hiked the road and trail to the end in the meadows under Red Mountain. Lovely area!
Ibapah
Ibapah
Red
Red
We then went off-trail up and around Point 11,385. It seems there’s an old abandoned trail which ties in after getting around the Point. This trail works up through what would otherwise be very unpleasant rocks on the steep slopes below the summit. There are two points of nearly the same height and the west one seems higher.
I was tempted to continue over to Haystack, but we agreed on Red Mountain instead, as the bonus. Red Mountain – 11,588’ From the meadows we went up the northwest ridge. This peak is not as loose as it appears.
6-20 Rest day (getting old). 6-21 Black Crook Peak – 9274’ Soloed this peak merely a day after John and Grant. Saw 2 deer, 2 marmots, a wild horse and had a close encounter with a badger.
Champlin Peak – 7504’ Quick easy solo hike. We drove in from the northwest. Do yourself a favor and don’t do that. Too many cattle gates.
6-22 North Peak – 11,174’ We started with the bonus peak.
Nebo
Nebo
Nebo
Nebo
Mount Nebo – 11,928’ This was a great trail hike and our absolute favorite of the trip. Coincidentally it was also my 100th ultra-prominence 1500 meter peak. The final ridge is narrow enough to be fun, but not scary. Frances did not want to leave the summit. lol.gif
Salt Benchmark – 9997’ There was extra time after Nebo so we did this nearby peak. Another awful rocky road. Parked where snow blocked the road and hiked the rest of the way. Shortly after driving this road, some problems with the suspension of my car made it wobble at higher speeds. This problem got worse over time. Eventually we couldn’t drive above 40mph.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 2:01 pm 
6-23 Loafer Mountain – 10,687’ There are several trail options for how to access this peak. A recent fire in the area has closed some trails including Bennie Creek and Mud Hollow. We started at McClellan Lake and hiked north and then northwest to reach a west ridge. This peak had a lot of wildflowers, probably the best wildflower show of the trip. The last half mile is off-trail. We disturbed a herd of 29 goats. They moved out of the way for us.
Loafer
Loafer
goats
goats
Santaquin Peak – 10,685’ From Loafer we dropped steeply to the saddle between the peaks and then followed the trail to Santaquin summit. Buttercups galore!
6-24 Provo Peak – 11,068’ On the way to Provo, my car was a rattlin and a shakin. The suspension problem was getting worse, but somehow I managed to convince myself that it was just the plastic mud flap rubbing on the tire. Unfortunately the south road over Camel Pass and Kolob Basin Overlook Pass was the worst road of the entire trip. Despite reading everything I could find online, half way to the trailhead, I realized I should not be driving this type of road at all. It was narrow and I could not turn around. This road has set a new record for the worst road I have driven in a Subaru. Not as bad as the recent roads in Kenya and Uganda, but you really ought to have more clearance than a Subaru for all the giant rocks. I decided to call it quits at Kolob Basin overlook. We would walk from there. During the road portion of the hike we accidentally came too close to a moose for comfort. Frances is always happy to see dangerous animals like venomous snakes and grizzly bears. This was no exception. We quietly passed the moose and came to the start of the steep trail. Provo is a great viewpoint and surprisingly popular hike. This summit was my 500th P2k.
moose!
moose!
On the drive out of there, we encountered other people who were stuck driving the bad road and shocked by how screwed up it was. During the hike I told Frances about a funny video I saw on YouTube where a bicycle guy has a close encounter with a mother and baby skunks. Then later that evening the same thing happened to us. We were standing in camp and a mother skunk came up towards Frances with 5 babies following close behind. She asked me what to do and I whispered “hold still”. The family wandered by and Frances got an excellent close-up video of most of it. Scroll down to her comment at the bottom to watch it. Before this day I had never even seen a skunk, so it is a very odd coincidence.
skunks!
skunks!
6-25 The car was no longer safe to drive because of the obvious suspension issue, so we surrendered another day to do repairs. I had another tire replaced for free at Discount and then bought a 4th one, so all new tires, yay! Then we went into a Subaru dealership to have the oil changed. They took the time to find the suspension problem and fix it despite us not having a service appointment. They said some bushings were broken and missing and that they replaced some “arms” on both sides. The guy said he was surprised that we could drive it at all in that condition. 6-26 Spanish Fork Peak – 10,192’ The Maple Canyon route is a very nice trail hike, with beautiful lush forest, and ending in pristine alpine. There was a group of young teenagers on the summit and I found myself wishing I had started hiking at that age. We saw a rubber boa on the descent. We sure run into a lot of these snakes in different places.
6-27 American Fork Twin Peaks – 11,489’ I tried to get us to the Cecret Lake route but the upper road above the ski area was closed to all but residents for construction. I decided to explore a southern route option starting near some reservoirs, which I thought might be exploratory, however we later learned that our friend Stavros had gone the same way.
The south route we took makes use of a good but rough road. With a beefy vehicle you could drive to the gate at 9400 feet, but we parked at 7800 feet where it gets rough. Nice hike through aspens to the upper south ridge. Above 11,200 feet there were numerous sunflowers of some kind, very pretty.
It is my understanding that the standard route for this peak has some crappy scrambling in a layer of black rock. It should be noted that the route we did is class 1, all road and trail, even where we didn’t expect it. It might be the easiest route on the peak. 6-28 Mount Ogden – 9570’ We walked the ski area roads to the summit. There were a couple guys that had camped up there and got hit by the worst of the overnight storm.
6-29 rain/snow 6-30 heavy rain 7-1 Wellsville Cone – 9356’ We did the Stav Basis route which was a little brushy for portions of the trail, but not too bad. Lot’s of snails on the trail in the early morning. We tried not to step on any, but it was tough. frown.gif Still fresh snow in shaded areas from the two day storm.
Box Elder Peak – 9372’ The northern trail to this peak crosses an exposed slope which was interesting with the fresh snow.
7-2 Logan Peak – 9710’ You can drive to the top of Logan with the right vehicle and some patience. After the Provo road and subsequent suspension damage, we decided no more crappy drives on this trip, so we hiked the Dry Canyon route instead. It was really good, and highly recommended.
7-3 Naomi Peak – 9979’ We were surprised to see a bunch of craggy rock on this peak in an area of more predominant gentle hills. Also there was a shocking amount of snow on the upper mountain. I picked the wrong day to leave sunglasses in the car. Some fun glissading on the way down.
Mount Magog – 9750’ Since Naomi went quick, we looked at the map for bonus peaks. Magog was the obvious choice and we were tempted to do Gog as well, but there was no direct way to combine the two. Magog turned out to be an enjoyable off-trail route. The summit has some fun blocks and a great overlook of White Pine Lake.
7-4 Ben Lomond – 9712’ Ben is another popular trail hike of the greater Salt Lake area. Less people follow the ridge trail over to the higher Willard Peak because there is no official trail to the summit, but Willard is a better viewpoint and has a climbers path.
Willard Peak – 9763’ You can also drive to within a half hour of this summit, in the northern Willard Basin, however as previously stated, we were through with the bad roads. The traverse between Ben Lomond and Willard was super scenic and a lot of fun. Highly recommended! The summit area rock features a deep, dark fissure, much like a crevasse. We dropped some rocks in there to hear how deep it is.
7-5 Rest day (old). 7-6 Kings Peak – 13,528’ Since this trip extended into July, I had the idea to do Kings. We were sort of in the area anyhow. I had always wanted to day-trip Kings because I don’t like to carry overnight gear. With some shortcuts, it could be whittled down to 25 miles round-trip with only the last 2 miles to the summit on talus.
We started at 2:30am under a full moon. The upper Uinta meadows were crammed with wildflowers and visually reminiscent of places I have been in the Canadian/US Rockies, but on a somewhat less grand scale. We reached the summit at 9:30am. A new height record for Frances!
Kings
Kings
photo by Frances
photo by Frances
Dome
Dome
Dome Peak – 13,103’ Frances opted to traverse around the bonus peak and I later met her on the other side. I found the register, but the plastic lid was broken and inside only paper-mache. Beware of the tottering loose talus on this peak.
7-7 Bald Mountain – 11,943’ Time to head home. I picked a couple leg stretchers to break up the driving days. The first was a short trail hike in the western Uintas. Very crowded, so we took some safety precautions.
7-8 Grand Castle – 8572’ This last objective is in a scenic little red rock area somewhat similar to Sedona. We did the Tom Gathright route which worked well, but dense brush took away some of the fun factor. Can’t really recommend this one.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 2:24 pm 
Adam, that is A LOT of peaks! But... how many showers did you get during that time span??

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 2:32 pm 
Epic! up.gif up.gif It was fun to track your guys' progress on Peakbagger while you were doing this. Man I'm jealous! Such an awesome trip. Interesting route on AF Twins too. We did it from the Snowbird side which involved some loose crappy class 3 rock. Nice work picking a better route. I also recommend the traverse along the ridge to Devil's Castle. It is tons of fun, and DC itself is a super fun class 3/4 scramble. But those bonus peaks aren't gonna do anything for your p-index biggrin.gif

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 3:11 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
fossils
fossils
Looks like coral.

Frances B
Frances B

Frances B
Frances B
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 3:29 pm 
Ice cold creek baths and a squirt bottle with soap and a towel when weren’t around the creeks. Practicing the Wim Hoff method 😜 Also, here’s a cute ass skunk video I was lucky enough to capture!
Skunk video

Frances Barbour
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 4:37 pm 
cool fawn sighting! also many other nice wildlife you 2 encountered. thanks for more TR's out of state, they are very helpful when I make quick trips down there

Eric Eames
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Jul 10, 2020 1:38 pm 
Thanks! Brought back good memories, and June is such a fabulous time to be on Great Basin ranges. Your comments on Notch Peak were spot on, a great hike. Nebo's crest, yep memorable. Ibapah is a favorite I've done twice, bivying on the summit. Moriah has pulled me there several times, all ascending Hendry's Creek, but one ski trip on Memorial Day up Hampton Creek toThe Table.

Off trail rambler
Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job

Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job
PostSat Jul 11, 2020 5:53 pm 
And I thought Fletcher had been getting after it hard lately... I appreciate all the flora & fauna pics not found in other trip reports--you two have a knack for spotting the fun stuff. So, does this mean you're back in Washington now???

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Jul 13, 2020 4:01 am 
Thanks everyone. It's great to hear responses from friends. To answer a few questions, zero showers (we avoided entering public buildings of any type). Also, we are still located in Nevada for the time being. Definitely looking forward to the return to Washington, but not sure when that will be.

ree

ree
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 8:37 am 
This is amazing. What great pictures, and a fun resource for us all! That rattlesnake picture is classic. Did it rattle at you? Wowsa. Thanks, Gimpski (a BPJism). ree

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSun Jul 19, 2020 9:05 am 
Great trip and congrats on all the peaks you're racking up. Impressive.

benneke

benneke
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 3:05 pm 
Great report! I will be referencing it this fall as I explore this area further. What kind of tires were you using? I also have a Subaru I'm impressed that you were able to get to all of these places without a larger rig

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 4:37 pm 
Thanks! The tires are All Terrain Yokohama Geolandar. However, I did push it too far, which resulted in suspension damage and multiple flat tires. I would caution against the roads on Ward, Salt Benchmark, and Provo, for anyone who drives a Subaru.