Forum Index > Trip Reports > White River - Boulder Basin (Lake Wenatchee)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike
PostFri Jul 24, 2020 2:30 pm 
Took a trip up to Lake Wenatchee this past weekend. The original plan was to climb Clark Mountain and Luhana peaks but nature would thwart that plan. The White River trail is fine for the first 1/4 mile or so. After that, it is just thick brush to push through and masses of mosquitoes to deal with. The trail is nice and easy and the one creek crossing has a perfectly easy log to use. (Pictures of the overgrown trail)
The funnest part of the trip was crossing Boulder Creek after first entering the basin. The creek is high right now and required removing my boots. The water is freezing cold and stung nicely when you put your feet into it.
Me Crossing Boulder creek. Only knee deep, but bitter bitter cold. Other than the massive amounts of brush to push out of the way, the trail was easy to walk. Boulder Basin is astonishing and the trail conditions seemed to keep the crowds away.
My original plan was to climb Clark and attempt to traverse over to Luhana peak. I set up my bivy along the ridgeline and then headed for the gulley down to the climbing route. However, near the bottom thee was a small amount of snow remaining. Would not have been a problem most days, but the sun had heated it up. I attempted to kick steps multiple times. Even with crampons on, I was slipping and it all started to feel unsafe. Instead of pushing it for the day, I just headed back to my bivy site and enjoyed watching the sunset with no other human beings around.
I may have missed my original objective but the trip was still well worth every step. I wish I could have captured the stars at night. The display was to die for. On the way back down I could not help but notice the large numbers of wildflowers still budding everywhere.
See more of the White River Boulder Basin trail at Hike2Hike.com!

[Mountains] are the cathedrals where I practice my religion - Anatoli Boukreev Hike2Hike.com, because we all just live from Hike to Hike.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Jul 25, 2020 3:52 pm 
up.gif I made it up there for the first time around a year ago. I very much enjoyed it. The basin is great, everything between the basin and Boulder Pass was wonderful, and the old sheepherders trail leading above the basin in the opposite direction of Clark was a worthwhile exploration.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message