Forum Index > Pacific NW History > "Ghost names" of Washington (and Oregon) national forests
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 8:29 pm 
https://mynorthwest.com/2010061/all-over-the-map-ghost-names-national-forests/amp/ I found this pretty interesting. Granted, I have unusual taste compared to most people, but if you're here, so do you. And you might enjoy reading about Columbia National Forest, Rainier and Chelan NFs, and more.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dick B

Dick B
PostWed Jul 15, 2020 5:06 pm 
CP. Do you have any info on the old Santiam NF that was folded into the Willamette NF down here in Oregon? A remnant of that era is the Fish Lake Guard Station just off Highway 126 going down the McKenzie River. towards Eugene. The dispatchers cabin still has the Santiam NF sign above the door. The site has been beautifully preserved and had been open for tours. I think it is now closed due to the virus. Fish Lake in itself is unique. In the spring during the snow melt it is a beautiful lake, but by midsummer it's a beautiful meadow. Lot of history. It's on the old Santiam Wagon Road, one of the first east west routes between Central Oregon and the Valley. A gravesite nearby. Stop by for a look see if you happen by that way.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Jul 25, 2020 9:01 pm 
Child’s grave is sad. As I remember placed by her nieces and nephews several decades later. Same year my Great-great-great Grandmother crossed the prairie.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSat Jul 25, 2020 9:12 pm 
I recall seeing signs for the Snoqualmie National Forest. They're probably still there.