Forum Index > Trail Talk > comet viewing
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bertman

bertman
PostFri Jul 17, 2020 9:41 pm 
Hoping to go view the comet on Monday or Tuesday night since the weather report is looking good. Clear views of NW skies a must. https://www.space.com/comet-neowise-visible-evening-sky-july-2020.html I guess there are two options. 1. Hike in to a summit, view the comet, night hike out. This would need to be shorter hike. 2. Backpack to an area with good views, camp out, take my time after dark, and middle of the night. I live in Kirkland. Any recommendations within a two hour drive of the Eastside? Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnManic

MtnManic
PostFri Jul 17, 2020 11:35 pm 
Fremont Lookout at Rainier; I'm sure there are others - Tolmie also a possibility. Glacier View should be good as well. All these off the top of my head. I may head up to Fremont myself one night and I'm also in the Kirkland area (N Rose Hill) though a lot depends on what my visiting brother wants to do when this week.

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Jul 27, 2020 10:27 pm 
The keys are being able to see about two hand widths below the Big Dipper (although it's getting higher) without obstacles (like trees, mountains); getting away from light pollution; waiting for dark skies -- like after 10:30 or 11; and bringing binoculars. We were able to see it at Bowman Bay a few days ago, looking below the lower right hand star of the Big Dipper dipper. To the naked eye, it just looked like a fuzzy streak, but with just 8x binoculars, we could clearly see the comet itself and the tail. It actually looked more impressive than I expected.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 12:15 am 
Good view from Sunrise point on road to Sunrise at Rainier lots of folks ther.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn