Forum Index > Trail Talk > FB group Washington hikers and climbers a good or bad thing?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Jul 27, 2020 11:25 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Hearing horror stories outta Blanca lake of late. 200+ on the shore! People hiking through campsites!! Difficulty taking pictures that don't feature humans!! Boomboxes. Never been there!! I consider myself too good for that.
Hearing this about a lot of places lately. My annual week long backpacking trip with old friends is coming up in a couple weeks. We have been planning to revisit one of our favorite areas in the ALW. In the past when we've gone there (it's been a decade or more) there was never more than one other group there. I noticed a couple weeks ago that this place had attracted the attention of NWH&C. A couple people posted some very pretty pictures and talked about the location and the posts were followed up with a whole slew of "gotta go there" and "this is on my list now" type posts. Sure enough, check WTA trip reports today and there have been multiple TRs from this area the last couple of weeks with several noting how many people were there, difficulties finding a place to camp, and one guy complaining about all the trash he found. Breaks my heart. Used to be a lonely place and it's not a real easy hike in - 12 miles one way with significant elevation gain on a scrambly, crappy, dry, exposed trail for the last 3 miles. Used to be distances like that kept the hordes away but I guess not any more.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 10:43 am 
Bedivere wrote:
12 miles one way with significant elevation gain on a scrambly, crappy, dry, exposed trail for the last 3 miles. Used to be distances like that kept the hordes away but I guess not any more.
Never underestimate the power of a selfie.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 10:59 am 
Unfortunately people are getting healthier and fitter. frown.gif

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 11:25 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
LOL.. and there are a LOT more of them than there were in the early '90s when I started backpacking regularly.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 11:46 am 
Maybe they could come up with a vaccine?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 3:38 pm 
http://chng.it/RL5ZynQB Created a petition to ban geotagging/hot spotting on wh&c I know many of their own members are annoyed with the negative effects the group has. Looking for revisions and editing from anyone willing to help make it more successful.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 4:24 pm 
Anyone else find it a bit ironic that an Internet Group base on hiking that also shares info on places to go is complaining about another Internet Group that does the same thing? I mean, I know people here are better than them and possibly an elite group as well. rolleyes.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 4:42 pm 
dixon wrote:
How many of these social media addicts would be doing stuff outdoors if there wasn't "credit" to be had? Probably next to none as noone there to see their "achievements".
This is pure speculation. But let me counter your speculation with my own. I am betting almost no one does this only for the selfie and social media status. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 4:43 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Anyone else find it a bit ironic that an Internet Group base on hiking that also shares info on places to go is complaining about another Internet Group that does the same thing? I mean, I know people here are better than them and possibly an elite group as well. rolleyes.gif
+1 Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 5:02 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Not sure if you’re in that group of 100,000 people but the type of people in it don’t understand the concept of not shitting on the side of a trail or camping right on a lake shore. It has nothing to do with elitism and everything to do with making it harder for the assholes who don’t know proper LNT out of more delicate areas. Obviously posting in this group majority of individuals are overall more educated and understand how to be good stewards in comparison to that massive group of herd hikers.

nordique

nordique
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 5:30 pm 
But not smarter nor more caring of the environment nor other hikers.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 5:37 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Yes.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 6:01 pm 
Noheaperture wrote:
Not sure if you’re in that group of 100,000 people but the type of people in it don’t understand the concept of not shitting on the side of a trail or camping right on a lake shore.
This statement is actually laughable. Rumi

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 6:57 pm 
Plus any info posted here is easily accessible to any of the miscreant hikers out there. The internet has changed the world in so many ways, some good, some bad, but good luck changing it back.

dixon

dixon
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 7:10 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Perhaps, but more likely that people will stop at nothing to get that perfect insta shot and the requisite social currency that keeps them relevant for another few hours #fitfam #hikingfordays #imawesome #lookatme