Forum Index > Trail Talk > North Cascades current crowds? Other recs?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
robinmotion

robinmotion
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 8:34 am 
Anyone been through North Cascades (and Marblemount, for the walk-up permits) since they opened this summer? My girlfriend and I are headed up there SOMEWHERE for a week, this Saturday, and have the flexibility to do something in North Cascades ... but I don't want to add to an already overstressed system and rangers. And if it's anything like the cascade range here in Oregon, people (less experienced ones) are flocking to the beautiful spots and doing their part to trash them. Our current plan is to head up Billy Goat Pass, then make up our trip as we go based on trail conditions, but NCNP has been calling my name for quite a while ... We would be getting in line for permits mid-day on Saturday, to start hiking the following day.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 12:30 pm 
We hiked up Billy Goat Pass a week or two ago to Burch Mtn, mid week and it wasn't terribly crowded. Maybe 6 cars at the parking area. Few turn off to Burch, but there's no good camping (i.e., no water). On the other hand, the popular day hike trails on Hwy 20 were mobbed on our way home Saturday, cars parked up and down the highway. There's definitely been a big surge in hiking the past few years.

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 1:07 pm 
Don’t know how many days you have but the 13ish miles to Larch Pass is just ok. Beyond there things get spectacular. I heard something about three hour waits for permits in Marblemount.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 1:24 pm 
I was about to post a topic with a similar question. I'm less worried about the trails -- I'm just interested in hiking with the kids to any old spot by a river -- and more just worried about crazy wait times at the WIC in Marblemount. I saw someone on WTA post about a 3-hour wait, although that was on July 3 (probably the busiest day of the year so far). We would be going this Friday. Has anyone gone there to get a backcountry permit on a Friday in the last couple weeks?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 1:32 pm 
It's not just the wait times, it's also the limited number of permits. Camp permits tend to be more or less competitive based on how nice the scenery is. Really get there as early as possible. There are roadside campgrounds in Marblemount and Newhalem that would let you be in line when they open. Park rules let you reserve a spot one day ahead. If you went that route, Sauk Mountain is a spectacular day hike while you wait for your permit (eg if it starts 'tomorrow'). It's not on many people's radar because it's so short, but the views are jaw dropping.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 1:57 pm 
Thanks but not very useful with young kids involved. With the kids, I can't get there first thing when they open nor am I going to try and find a car camping spot on thursday night. Like I said, not looking for anything popular. Has anyone actually been there mid morning on a recent Friday? I've done Sauk Mtn. It's nice.

robinmotion

robinmotion
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 3:39 pm 
Thanks, that's good to know! We have 4-5, so our plan is to get past Larch and then putter around, seeing what's snow-free/maintained/navigable.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Jul 07, 2021 11:26 am 
Has anyone been to Marblemount on a Friday or Saturday morning this summer? Has the situation improved at all since last year? I'm again interested in going with my young kids and I can't just sit around there for 2 hours. But under an hour would probably be OK.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jul 07, 2021 12:03 pm 
Probably not very useful info, bit the best I've got and no one else has answered yet. When I drove through on a Sunday two and a half weeks ago there were more cars parked at Diablo Lake than I've ever seen, by a factor of about 5x.

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostWed Jul 07, 2021 1:06 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
When I drove through on a Sunday two and a half weeks ago there were more cars parked at Diablo Lake than I've ever seen, by a factor of about 5x.
In 1995ish my girlfriend and I were the only ones sitting on the Diablo Lake Beach on a 90+ degree day. Boy I miss the good ole days. Haven't stood in the line at Marblemount this year but hard to imagine it isn't still terrible. Last summer, on a Saturday, we were #141 (waiting for a completely obscure backcountry zone). As time went on the process took longer and longer as there was basically no where left to go yet people were still desperately trying to get a permit. Eventually they called out that every site was booked for the night except for a few up trails the very north end of Ross Lake and maybe something way above Stehekin. And still people stood in line.... Can't imagine this year is a whole lot better. If I wasn't trying to climb some specific mountain in the park I would head to Forest Service land.

jaysway

jaysway
PostWed Jul 07, 2021 1:21 pm 
I wish they cut down on the lines by letting people who already got permits in the advance process print them out online. I love how ONP is letting people print permits and not bother going to the WICs. I do appreciate that NCNP still has walk-ups though, I hope that next season when the ONP WICs open back up they will split permits between advance and walk-up.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Jul 07, 2021 1:40 pm 
I'm sure demand this year is just as bad, but I guess I was imagining they might have done something to streamline the process, but that was probably delusional.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 07, 2021 3:17 pm 
Pass reservations were available in the spring if you get one you email the day before and it is activated without a visit in person. In person passes are available in person with the wait if there are any.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

jaysway
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 07, 2021 3:39 pm 
I was replying to IRT recommendation about advance permits a process that is already in place.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
neek

neek
PostWed Jul 07, 2021 4:09 pm 
Foist wrote:
Has anyone been to Marblemount on a Friday or Saturday morning this summer? Has the situation improved at all since last year? I'm again interested in going with my young kids and I can't just sit around there for 2 hours. But under an hour would probably be OK.
1 hr wait a couple Saturdays ago. We got there 10 minutes after opening. Throw everything in the car, and use the time to pack carefully and eat breakfast.

Trebond