Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bean Peak (Point 6743'), Red Top Mountain - 11/9/02
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed Nov 13, 2002 11:36 pm 
This one starts at the Beverly Turnpike Trailhead, elevation 3600'. As I pulled into the parking area I was greeted with a mix or rain and snow and temperatures 70º cooler than the last time I was here in July. I left the truck at 0830 and made my way up the trail a half mile to an intersection where I turned right up trail 1391A which follows Bean Creek. It started spitting consistent snow at 4400' and a dusting of snow on the ground started at 4800'. At 5100' the trail reaches another intersection. To the right, the trail heads toward Earl Peak and another trail heads straight up into the broad meadow just south of Bean Peak. I headed straight up into the meadow and at about 5500' I lost the trail under 6-8" of fresh snow. No matter, as the route from here is straightforward with the peak plainly in view. I headed straight up the south slopes of the mountain over easy terrain to 5900' where I hit a talus slope that made for tedious travel with a fresh layer of slick snow. The final 100' of Bean was easy class 2-3 after the hand and foot holds were chopped free of ice. I spent a good half hour on top, most of it digging through the 12" snow in search of the register, but no dice. I was pretty much socked in at the top and the wind and snow really started to pick after only 10 minutes. Motivation faded to nothing for continuing to Earl Peak via a high traverse, so I descended quickly back to the trailhead making it back at 1230. With a few hours to spare I thought of something else to do and remembered that Red Top Mountain was not only on my list, but also 98% drive-up. This was perfect as I could blast heat in my face and play loud music all the way up to 5000'! Without a map to go by, I found Road 9738 just after making it back to the pavement. From here large signs mark the way to the trailhead some 17 miles away. The road starts off as dirt, but after only a mile or two it turns to one lane asphalt. The asphalt lasts for another 3-5 miles or so before switching back to dirt the rest of the way. After finally reaching the trailhead, I walked up the 1/2 mile and 350' on good trail to the lookout, elevation 5361'. All was quiet (and locked up), so I took a few pictures and walked back. Instead of driving 17 miles back to the North Fork Road, I drove about 6 miles down to HWY 97 which turned out to be a much faster way of getting back to Cle Elum and hot food. An overall great day in the snow with two more "Back Court" peaks checked off the list.
approach
approach
lookout
lookout

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimK

JimK
PostThu Nov 14, 2002 7:58 am 
Randy, you could have dug for hours and not found a register. It's been many years since I've seen one on top. Both Bean and Teanaway Peaks had them at one time and both have been taken away.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message