Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cafe Granite - Coffee Gear Test
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
User-Name

User-Name
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 6:12 pm 
Ran up Granite on Sunday with a couple of office mates, and noticed there was a actually some residual snow that looked like it might last a few more days. So, this morning I headed up again, this time packing some new gear for making my pretentious, "third wave" pour-over coffee, just like at home--this was sort of a test to see how packable all this crap was. Turns out, the whole kit was pretty easy to carry, and the extra weight sorta disappeared after a mile or so...like an autumn load might feel when you have extra layers and stuff. UPSHOT: This is a great option for me, but only if a water source is near the destination; I'm not sure I'd want to schlep this stuff plus the water. Gear list: * Coffee: a beguiling Ethiopian I roasted last week in my garage. * Stove: MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe (kit version). Dang! these little stoves are fast! * Table: GSI Outdoors - VERY nice for organizing a micro workspace...weighs nothing * Dripper: GSI Outdoors - actually works great with small #2 filters, available everywhere. * Fuel: the tiniest MSR canister...spozed to burn for like an hour or so, very light. I think the larger one will actually fit in the kit as well.
kicked off a chunk of snow and carried it up the summit stack.  Used a piece of it to level the micro table--worked great.
kicked off a chunk of snow and carried it up the summit stack. Used a piece of it to level the micro table--worked great.
This kit will work great in the Fall and Winter when there's snow everywhere, so I'm looking forward to getting some use out of it.  Kinda nice not having to wait till I get back to the Truck Town to get a shot of joe.  :dizzy:
This kit will work great in the Fall and Winter when there's snow everywhere, so I'm looking forward to getting some use out of it. Kinda nice not having to wait till I get back to the Truck Town to get a shot of joe. dizzy.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
nordique

nordique
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 7:25 pm 
I fill my Starbucks travel container and put it in my pack. Nice and easy.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 9:10 pm 
User-Name wrote:
This kit will work great in the Fall and Winter when there's snow everywhere, so I'm looking forward to getting some use out of it.  Kinda nice not having to wait till I get back to the Truck Town to get a shot of joe.  :dizzy:
This kit will work great in the Fall and Winter when there's snow everywhere, so I'm looking forward to getting some use out of it. Kinda nice not having to wait till I get back to the Truck Town to get a shot of joe. dizzy.gif
What a cute little table!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 4:35 am 
Nice outfit. I do same on multi-day rafting trips since I always wake up 1st and river dawn with strong bean my favorite thing. I am not roast gourmet so just use Peets French and a JetBoil. I believe my filter cone is same as yours. Tom

RichP

RichP
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 6:39 am 
Nothing like a cuppa joe with good view. smile.gif

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 10:54 am 
User-Name wrote:
for making my pretentious, "third wave" pour-over coffee
Or you could just swing by Truck Town on the drive up, fill your 64oz Gear Jammer trucker mug with Boyd's Robusta, and leave the water bottles in the car.

User-Name

User-Name
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 1:16 pm 
Yeah, the Thermos approach is a good one--I used it on the trail for years, but I also like the ritualistic aspects of preparation. Plus, there's just something about coffee that was roasted yesterday that is sooooo much better than anything I've gotten from the store. Here's a recent batch I did, experimenting with two degrees of roast:
a light and a medium (city)... :)
a light and a medium (city)... wink.gif

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 2:13 pm 
I for one like your style but what exactly is "third wave" pour over? I drink pour over exclusively at home but now wonder if I'm doing it wrong?

User-Name

User-Name
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 2:21 pm 
"Third Wave" just describes the current (over?)emphasis on technique, quality, and treatment of coffee as an artisinal product. Of course, the basic technique of extraction that we call a "pour over" has been around for ages.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 2:35 pm 
Hmmm. I used to think I was a bit of a coffee snob, but not so much these years that I'd go through this much trouble any more. Since Charbucks came out with (spendy) instant single-serve packets, I've used those and been satisfied. It's worth it to not have to carry other equipment, and not have to pack out the grounds. Gotta be French Roast. Their instant lattes aren't bad, either.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
User-Name

User-Name
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 5:33 pm 
Yeah...I tried the REI instant coffee packs and the ones from "Charbux" (rotflol) and I totally agree. They both taste like instant, but I like the VIA better. coffee.gif