Previous :: Next Topic
Katinka

Katinka
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 6:28 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 6:53 pm 
Awesome video Katinka! I can't believe Goat Lake is still snowed in!!! I'm glad you had a great time, that sure is a pretty area. up.gif

Katinka

Katinka
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 6:58 pm 
Thanks! This was my first visit and I can't believe I've never gone there before. Did you know the whole area is the foundation of an enormous ancient volcano? I didn't! Let's just say Wikipedia had a lot to teach me!

drm

drm
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 7:31 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
I can't believe Goat Lake is still snowed in
Goat Lake is weird like that, I've never figured it out. Despite facing south, even in a low snow year and hot, it doesn't really melt out till September. Some years not at all.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 9:15 pm 
Pleasing video and captions.
Katinka wrote:
foundation of an enormous ancient volcano?
Very true! We sometimes refer to it as Washington's sixth volcano. Before it became extinct and continued to erode extensively it may have been as voluminous as Shasta and/or as high as Rainier.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Hutch

Hutch
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 9:17 am 
Hiking the "knife edge" of the PCT just north of Old Snowy in a couple weeks and hoping to leave microspikes at home - did you get a good look at snow levels up that way?

Katinka

Katinka
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 9:48 am 
Yes -- and you could definitely leave them! I hiked the knife edge in 2017 and got a look at the route 7/19/20 from the foot of Old Snowy. No snow to speak of even then.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 10:55 am 
The knife edge itself is usually safe without spikes starting pretty early in the season. The one dicey spot is the last high finger of Packwood glacier that sticks up across the PCT on the flank of Old Snowy. That can be scary (with a nasty runout) on a cold morning any time of year. But not to worry...the PCT splits before that and the high trail (which you'd use to bag Old Snowy, and should since you're that close anyway!) bypasses that finger.

Hutch

Hutch
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 1:54 pm 
Thanks much!

Jonny V

Jonny V
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 3:39 pm 
Spent two nights there last September and swam in Goat Lake. Still lots of snow there now. Also climbed Old Snowy and views were amazing. Nice video!

There's time to conceive in and time to expire though the time twixt the two tells the tale that transpires - "Time Waits For No One", Ambrosia
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 5:06 pm 
Katinka, in your video, you said, "Goat Rocks is ... high, remote, filled with beauties, unmarred by humans." I wonder if you'd consider helping to keep it that way by not posting videos about it, at least on Youtube. There are other threads on NWH where there is lots of discussion about over-run places. Being "remote" won't necessarily keep it that way. I don't want to hijack your TR nor start yet another debate about it. Not singling you out, either. Just something to think about, "unintended consequences." Did I mention social media is bad for wild places? hockeygrin.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Katinka

Katinka
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 5:45 pm 
I agree completely! Social media, in combination with navigation apps, is the WORST thing that ever happened to our pristine wilderness! Just ask any ranger. People who leave garbage/toilet paper, who insist on building fires, who camp on fragile meadows and trample vegetation -- all of them are destroying what we love. For that reason, I did NOT post any links to my video on Washington Hikers and Climbers -- via either Instagram or Facebook -- and I don't plan to. I have a really small number of YouTube followers. But I guess I like to think of NWHikers.net as a community of like-minded souls, so I was hoping to share with that group. If we can't share beautiful images here, what is the point of having the group in the first place?

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 5:57 pm 
^^^ up.gif up.gif Forgot about the Youtube control features. This issue is getting talked up right now on the TR etiquette thread. I like what RossB had to say in there:
rossb wrote:
There is posting, and there is posting. If you post on TikToc, Facebook, or something similar and put pictures, and say something like "it isn't an official trail, but it isn't that hard", then you will likely rot in hell. hockeygrin.gif OK, not that bad, but please don't. On the other hand, if you post in "Thread for lazy trip reports" then it is probably OK. Not that many people read those, and the main benefit are for those who search. That in itself means that only people who have found that spot (some lake or unnamed peak with only a marked altitude) will find it. The service you are providing may balance out the harm you are doing to those that found out the hard way. Personally, I just don't post those type of reports. I don't see much benefit. If I post an update to say, Dickerman, saying the waterfall is not melted out (and you should bring an ice axe) I may actually save someone's life. But if I post a glowing report about some obscure peak, it is just as likely that I will attract someone to that peak that really shouldn't be there (because the scrambling is too hard). In my opinion, the main benefit of trip reports is not to expose some little known, special area. It is to report on trail conditions, so that people may more safely travel to that area.
Even the explosion of guidebooks in the last 20 years hasn't been as detrimental as the social media buzz.

Katinka

Katinka
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 6:17 pm 
@ Anne Elk up.gif up.gif up.gif Indeed. I have recently found a truly remote, little used loop trail for my next weeklong trek. I've researched enough to verify that its still exists. But, trust me, I will not be posting ANYWHERE where it is or how to find it. The more beautiful the place, the more secretive I'll be about its whereabouts. I'll just say I have also been to a gorgeous area of small lakes in which one might bathe, and I tell no one they exist. I think there might be a few other things on which we agree. For example, would you concur that brontosauruses are skinny at one end, much fatter in the middle, and then skinny again at the far end? smile.gif

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 6:45 pm 
^^^ Yes! That's my theory! And what it is. And it's mine! dizzy.gif