Forum Index > Gear Talk > Recommendations for 1-person UL tent
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
drv8535
Darrick

drv8535
Darrick
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 9:09 am 
I'm trying to get opinions on 1P UL tents, specifically if you use a tent supported only by trekking pole(s). Thoughts? Recommendations? Pros and cons? It is frustrating that the majority of brands out there are easily $300 or higher for this item - let's be honest, it's just a high-end tarp!! Why so expensive? eek.gif I posted the same question on the PNW Peakbaggers FB group, and literally everyone's recommendations were $300-500 tents. Is there nothing cheaper out there?! Am I the only backpacker in WA on a budget?! lol

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 11:11 am 
I just go with good used. I bought a Big Agnes Seedhouse1 for $140.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
cefire

cefire
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 11:32 am 
Protrail just went Dyneema...17oz dizzy.gif https://www.tarptent.com/product/protrail-li/ Edit: I only have 1 tent at a time (Double Rainbow Li right now), and I spend so that tent is light wink.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 12:39 pm 
That Protrail looks awesome, I really like the design. I borrowed my friends MoTrail Tarptent and I don't like the design the foot area is flat, so water and dew tend to pool there. I also don't like tents where I can't sit up or kneel without hitting my head. I am only 5'9" but even then, many tents are restrictive. I think I would rather carry extra weight in order to be more comfortable in the tent.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 1:19 pm 
If you are looking to limit cost and don't need Dyneema Drop sells a pretty solid 1P design from Dan Durnston for $200. I don't have any direct experience with it nor relationship with the product/seller but the design looks tempting to me. https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-dan-durston-x-mid-1p-tent

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 1:28 pm 
The Dyneema / Cuben Fiber material reduces weight and ups the cost compared to Silnylon. If you are willing to lug a few more ounces, the Silnylon versions are more affordable. To save money and weigh, consider using just a tarp + mosquito headnet. The Six Moons designs Gatewood Cape is very minimal weight and uses a single trekking pole. I've stayed dry in rainstorms sleeping in the Gatewood Cape.

drv8535
Darrick

drv8535
Darrick
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 3:50 pm 
Great input so far! Thank you everyone!

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 4:47 pm 
ProTrail in sil would be my rec on a budget.

drv8535
Darrick

drv8535
Darrick
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 5:25 pm 
I know you get what you pay for, but buying American (or even local) is also important to me. Found this company based out of Kennewick! Only $40-$60?!? Thoughts? Anyone heard of them before? https://www.rivercountryproducts.com/product-category/backpackingtents/

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 7:03 pm 
drv8535 wrote:
I know you get what you pay for, but buying American (or even local) is also important to me. Found this company based out of Kennewick! Only $40-$60?!? Thoughts? Anyone heard of them before? https://www.rivercountryproducts.com/product-category/backpackingtents/
Their 1P Tent weighs almost 3lbs without poles. Not an ultralight tent. Looks like it's made from regular old coated nylon.

RichP

RichP
PostThu Jul 30, 2020 10:56 am 
I'd go with a sil Double Rainbow. About 300 bucks and quality made. 10 years out of mine and still going strong. You do get what you pay for. The extra room in bad weather is worth it. Or you could get a blue tarp for 10 bucks and call it good.

letsgobobby

letsgobobby
PostFri Aug 14, 2020 8:12 pm 
i’ve happily used a sub 1 lb bivy for a while, when i’m alone. it’s durable and does the job.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Aug 14, 2020 9:22 pm 
I don't think you are going to find much in the quality ultralight range which is much less than $300. How much are you going to use this? A few times a year? Several? Many many many times? If you only use it a few times a year, then maybe you don't want to spend much more than $300-$350. But if you use it a lot, then getting a quality ultralight tent is worth spending a bit of money on it. Maybe even a Dyneema tent becomes worth the outlay in money. I am really a fan of Tarptents by Henry Shires. They are well designed and made, and have a relative small "footprint" to manage. By footprint I mean, the space required to properly set up the tent. They are for the most part easy to set up as well. I want a tent I can sit up in without hassle. I want a bit of extra room for stuff, though I put most things in the vestibule. in Tarptents, I really like the Notch (27oz) in silnylon, but that requires two trekking poles. The Moment DW uses an arch pole and comes in at 36 oz. If I was to get a solo in Dyneema I would get the Aeon Li. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Aug 15, 2020 7:19 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
That Protrail looks awesome, I really like the design. I borrowed my friends MoTrail Tarptent and I don't like the design the foot area is flat, so water and dew tend to pool there. I also don't like tents where I can't sit up or kneel without hitting my head. I am only 5'9" but even then, many tents are restrictive. I think I would rather carry extra weight in order to be more comfortable in the tent.
I have the prior version of the Protrail, called the Contrail. It’s a palace for the tall crowd. It has the maximum room at the head end which I really like. It sets up supper fast, and has a small footprint. 27.3 ounces with all the guy-lines and stuff sack. Really well ventilated. The trick with Sil-Nylon tents is to use some shock cord on the guy-lines. That way if fabric relaxes a bit after setup, the tent will remain taut.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSun Aug 16, 2020 6:20 am 
Whatever you get, make sure it's seam sealed. For example, the Six Moon Luna Solo is not sealed unless you add that to your order for an additional $30. Well worth it. Total will be 260 though. https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/lunar-solo?aff=6 You can seam seal yourself, but I've tried that and it's a pain in the ass. Never as good as when it's done by the factory. Gear today is outrageously expensive. It's gone corporate, in a big way.