Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing person, car found near Stevens. Dashcam footage wanted.
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostThu Jul 30, 2020 10:21 am 
Hi All. This isn't hiking related, but it's important.. Our friend's daughter has been missing since July 24. Her car, out of gas, was found near Stevens Pass. Detectives are looking for dash cam footage from people who drove eastbound over Stevens between Friday morning and Saturday evening. There's a good chance that people here did. If you have any info, please come forward. There is an anonymous tip line if you prefer, and there is a reward. Please help Gia get home. Thank you. https://komonews.com/news/local/detectives-make-plea-for-dash-cam-footage-in-search-for-missing-maple-valley-teen

If not now, when?
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostSat Aug 01, 2020 5:12 pm 
Found! - alive and stable. https://komonews.com/news/local/sheriffs-office-gia-fuda-has-been-found A huge thank you to the search and rescue teams that found her "deep in the woods." 8 days...

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Aug 01, 2020 10:21 pm 
That's awesome that she was found alive after missing for a week. On the news they said she had went on a hike, then her car was found on Hwy 2 and out of gas. What I can't fathom is why she didn't either stay in her car or walk to the nearest town-get a ride? It said she had no over night gear, so I am curious to what motivated her to go wander in the woods? confused.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Aug 01, 2020 11:14 pm 
I'm very happy to hear that she was found intact.
Chief Joseph wrote:
That's awesome that she was found alive after missing for a week. On the news they said she had went on a hike, then her car was found on Hwy 2 and out of gas. What I can't fathom is why she didn't either stay in her car or walk to the nearest town-get a ride? It said she had no over night gear, so I am curious to what motivated her to go wander in the woods? confused.gif
So let me get this straight, your wondering why an 18 yo might make an irrational decision? It appears you've forgotten what it was like to be young and know everything.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Aug 01, 2020 11:19 pm 
I am wondering why ANYONE no matter what their age would go into the woods and wander after their car runs out of gas...I would love to know her 'reasoning' for that, but alas, pretty sure I will be left to wonder.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Aug 01, 2020 11:52 pm 

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
80skeys

80skeys
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 9:08 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I am wondering why ANYONE no matter what their age would go into the woods and wander after their car runs out of gas...I would love to know her 'reasoning' for that, but alas, pretty sure I will be left to wonder.
Yeah, deciding on a spur-of-the moment long hike into the woods after running out of gas, leaving your car, purse, and cell phone behind in the car is not something that even irrational teenagers would do. There's definitely more to the story.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 10:00 am 
Our thanks to all who helped with the search, those who provided info, etc. We are friends with the family, and have seen how wild, uninformed conjecture can be hurtful in a situation like this. I ask that folks limit that here. This group knows how rare it is to find someone missing in the Cascades over a week. Let's focus on celebrating that Gia is back home with her parents and the many, many people who searched over a week for her. smile.gif

If not now, when?
pipedream

pipedream
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 2:04 pm 
Glad to hear she was found & rescued, not recovered or forever a mystery (like Sam Sayers). One of my more cavalier hiking buddies mused that, "it must've been some good acid to get that lost trying to poach into Scenic Hot Springs" While I'm doubtful that's what happened, it's possible she was heading there and left her phone in the car so she couldn't be tracked trespassing on that popular piece of private property. I'm sure we'll learn more in the coming days but for now let's be grateful this one has a happy ending

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 2:08 pm 
So glad to hear she's been found and is okay. I was fearful this was not going to have a good ending.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 4:07 pm 
80skeys wrote:
Yeah, deciding on a spur-of-the moment long hike into the woods after running out of gas, leaving your car, purse, and cell phone behind in the car is not something that even irrational teenagers would do. There's definitely more to the story.
Yeah, I mean there are a miriad of possibilities, not the least of which was that after running out of gas, another vehicle with "rapist looking" men drove by and screeched to a stop. In such circumstances the most rational thing for a young woman to do would be to run into the wood and just keep running.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 4:22 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
To go potty. She wouldn't be the first to get misplaced while going off to potty. As for running from bad people, maybe for a bit, but in the woods, if you stand still in the shadows, people won't notice you, especially if you are uphill from them.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 4:25 pm 
Intoxicants, mental issues, poor judgment, inexperience or an exigent circumstance seem likely scenarios Glad she's OK

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 5:16 pm 
CascadeClimber. Glad it turned out positive in the end for your friends. Thanks to SAR volunteers and KCSO for their effort and dedication. I've dealt w/t internet comment sh!t show during prolonged SAR in the past. It sucks to wade through the uninformed speculation and insults from assholes and vultures. Especially at such a difficult time. This thread has served its purpose and should be closed.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 5:56 pm 
So glad to hear she's safe. I hope we can hear her story - it's odd that she didn't stop for gas in Skykomish.