Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trip report etiquette: 'secret' spots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Report unknown scenic spots?
Yes! Knowledgable locals be damned.
23%
 23%  [ 12 ]
No! Keep all the hikers on well-known trails.
76%
 76%  [ 40 ]
Total Votes : 52

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jul 30, 2020 2:23 pm 
TellimaChris wrote:
Thanks for all the opinions, and sorry if this has been over many times before.
No reason to be sorry; how are you supposed to know. People were rude to you. Besides, opinions change over the years. Never hurts to bring up a subject again.* *except adding a social media considerations to the seven LNT ethics, making them eight. People really get uptight about that for some reason, like as if the LNT canon is closed. The number is seven. No more, no less. Seven shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be seven. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou six, excepting that thou then proceed to seven. Eight is right out. Once the number seven, being the seventh number, be reached, then, thou shall not number any further Leaveth Noeth Traceth rules thereafter, forever more

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Jul 30, 2020 2:49 pm 
Time to post fake reports to try and herd the morons away from the sekret spots. Find a glorious picture (doesn't even need to be of that place, best if its not) and gloat over how super cool it was and that it had solitude and even lots of ripe blueberries. Like this: Just did the Garfield Terrace hike, most beautiful views I've ever seen.
Not another soul on the trail. Ripe blueberries all around. Most glorious day of my life. Anyone who hasn't been there is a loser.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostThu Jul 30, 2020 11:47 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
The number is seven. No more, no less. Seven shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be seven. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou six, excepting that thou then proceed to seven. Eight is right out. Once the number seven, being the seventh number, be reached, then, thou shall not number any further Leaveth Noeth Traceth rules thereafter, forever more
lol.gif up.gif "Where, behind the rabbit??" Maybe the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch is the solution to Instagram. wink.gif

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 31, 2020 12:24 am 
Kim wrote:
The number is seven.
Yes. THIS is the answer. Sorry, don't know what I was thinking earlier.
coldrain108 wrote:
"Time to post..."
43 33 42.5 N 117 34 28.0 W
43 33 42.5 N 117 34 28.0 W

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jul 31, 2020 7:21 am 
Ski wrote:
Kim wrote:
The number is seven.
Yes. THIS is the answer.
Well, no; it's actually 42.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Jul 31, 2020 7:50 am 
Obviously time for the old codger to weigh in here. Take your admonishment like the men and women that you are! rant.gif In the early days, there were the Mountaineers. Back then, the mountains were bustling with resource extraction, wood, metals, and grass for the sheep. But the Mountaineers were not serious people like the others, they were just there to fool around. Soon their little cars starting clogging the roads built for the logging trucks. The loggers were pissed. Not only did the Mountaineers get in the way, but they invited others to go up into the mountains and get in the way. They actually built trails for recreation! For some, the mountains would never be the same. Then came the 100 Hikes book series, and history repeated itself. Places like Robin Lakes, which had previously had some measure of solitude because there was no established trail, got found. People were pissed. For some, the mountains would never be the same. Next it was social media, and history is repeating itself yet again. Thunder Mountain Lakes got found. People are pissed. For some, the mountains will never be the same. We have all benefitted from hike books and other hiking media. Show some humility please.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jul 31, 2020 9:05 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
*except adding a social media considerations to the seven LNT ethics, making them eight. People really get uptight about that for some reason, like as if the LNT canon is closed. The number is seven. No more, no less
People get upright about it for some reason, but not that one. shakehead.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Jul 31, 2020 11:10 am 
texasbb wrote:
This is approximately the 3,584th time we've been over this, and frankly, it's getting old. Let's switch. May I suggest: guns, dogs, hunting, mountain bikes, cairns, billing for SAR, packing out poop, wolves, grizzlies, user fees, bigfoot, PC renaming of peaks, blurry waterfall pictures, compass vs gps, preserving historical structures in wilderness, campfires, who yields to whom, chainsaws to clear wilderness trails, drones, tent footprints, boots vs trail runners, trekking pole length, drinking untreated water, keeping food in the tent, horse poop on trails, supported FKTs. Not COVID masks, though.
biggrin.gif

Art is an adventure.
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Jul 31, 2020 11:12 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
Just did the Garfield Terrace hike, most beautiful views I've ever seen.
Not another soul on the trail. Ripe blueberries all around. Most glorious day of my life. Anyone who hasn't been there is a loser.
Dude! I was at that spot about 2 weeks ago! Seriously!!! And YES, there will be a trip report!

Art is an adventure.
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Jul 31, 2020 11:13 am 
TellimaChris wrote:
Plus, why be selfish and hoard all the nice spots to yourself?
Ever heard of this quote?: "You kids get off of my lawn!"

Art is an adventure.
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Jul 31, 2020 11:49 am 
Stefan wrote:
Dude! I was at that spot about 2 weeks ago! Seriously!!!
it's a "Doosy" of a spot isn't it?

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Jul 31, 2020 12:13 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
Stefan wrote:
Dude! I was at that spot about 2 weeks ago! Seriously!!!
it's a "Doosy" of a spot isn't it?
Yup:
A fine place to stop for a while, and get your bearings...
A fine place to stop for a while, and get your bearings...
lol.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology