Forum Index > Trip Reports > Shriner Peak Hike & Trail Runner Question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Jul 31, 2020 3:41 pm 
It is all about bring polite, courteous, and thinking higher of others than yourself, as Stefan so eloquently suggested. These seem to be character traits that are increasingly rare in today's 'me me me' culture.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Jul 31, 2020 4:45 pm 
What Stefan said, probably just a couple of ignorant bad apples. All the trail runners I have encountered have been courteous and friendly, although a few have appeared somewhat ignorant. A few years ago we encountered a young lady attempting to run Lost Creek Ridge who had fallen and injured her leg. There are places along that trail that don’t exactly invite running. Just the other day we were out in the middle of nowhere on an extended trip and two VERY friendly runners came bounding down the ridge above us, telling us how happy they were to see us. They had gotten very lost in the middle of a 22 mile loop and were on a trajectory to get cliffed out. We explained to them where to go next as we had just come from where they needed to go. Kind of curious why they were so off-route, apparently lacking basic navigation skills. confused.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Aug 01, 2020 11:05 pm 
The purpose of etiquette is to foster cooperation between trail users. Getting worked up about whether others are properly following the guidelines to your satisfaction is a recipe for ruining your day and if followed to an extreme can cause bigger problems-- like these women that were banned from Greenlake for 3 month because they harassed others for not following the guidelines to their standards. https://www.kuow.org/stories/whats-right-way-go-around-green-lake

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 2:49 pm 
This is the best case I've seen for Grizzly reintroduction. Trail runners wouldn't last.

Joseph
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 10:18 pm 
I went up Shriner Peak just before the runner did. Feeling super lucky I still have my 10th place on Strava (walking the whole way). It could have dropped to 11th! Don't know what I'd do without Strava keeping track of my amazing exploits. clown.gif