Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Hiker Quartz Creek
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hunterofelke
Roland

hunterofelke
Roland
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 7:05 am 
I am the person that submitted the last trip report on WTA. Thirty years ago I would have made it to the lake, but now at 59 years I am learning my limits. My knees start to stiffen up which makes moving around the rocks, roots and logs tough. She may have tried to bushwhack and cross a water feature and became stuck somewhere. Western Washington is a jungle that you can be unseen or unheard. Those water crossings are a challenge for the fit hiker. Rescuers might want to go up or down those water falls. I had gone into the area hoping I would find someplace I could take care of, but the washouts quashed those thoughts. Hope she is found. The case of the 18 year old off highway 2 found recently is inspiring.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ChanceShowers

ChanceShowers
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 2:26 pm 
Yeah, these Cascade off-trail areas are really thick with growth, particular in places that were logged. I can't imagine trying to find someone in that brush if they are...let's say "unresponsive". I see SAR posting that they did 3000 person-hours of searching for just this one person. That's a huge amount! And at the same time as the search for that girl off Highway 2 was going on! Man, people need to play it safe so our county's SAR volunteers can catch a break!

ChanceShowers

ChanceShowers
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 10:28 am 
Apropos of hunterofelke's question whether searchers had gone all the way to the lake to check, here is the Sheriff's FB post: https://www.facebook.com/KingCountySheriff/photos/a.115105788572160/3221902297892478/?type=3&theater "King County Sheriff's Office and King County Search and Rescue has spent over 3000 hours looking for Shirley Baumann who did not return on her hike July 22nd as planned. She was last seen hiking near Quartz Creek Trail in the Snoqulamie River Middle Fork area. If anyone has seen Shirley or has information to please call 911." Over 3000 hours. I think it's a pretty safe bet that they went to the lake. King County has a very robust SAR organization.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 5:33 pm 
I've been to the lake. The "trail" (old road) doesn't go all the way to the lake anymore. It peeters out under Paperboy. It's a bushwhack the rest of the way.

tlake

tlake
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 5:56 pm 
I know they had searchers hiking in from the old road that ended below North Bessemer. The old road ends above the upper Lake, within 400 yards of it. You have to come in through Cambell Globle on the North fork and up past Hancock Lake. I drove within 2 miles of the upper Lake, then walked til I saw the lake a month ago.

hunterofelke
Roland

hunterofelke
Roland
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 5:06 pm 
I was up there today(Aug 8, 2020) and Search and Rescue were there with dogs. Was told the trail to lake is well marked and trod upon. Missing hiker is not on the trail, they know that. I only hiked up to old log bridge, wasn't brave enough to use rope down into creek or goat trail with roots and branches. Met some people coming back from a trip up Paperboy, though first I asked them if they were coming down from Rooster and they didn't know Rooster. Weather was not right for views so they didn't climb up Paperboy.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 8:25 pm 
So much activity on Paperboy! Are more people pursuing the Home Court? After reading about the condition of the old Quartz Creek road I'm tempted to head up that way again to check out the creek crossings. The 2019/2020 winter was really wet and caused major changes/damage on other trails. I wonder if the creek crossings are worse than 5 years ago when I was up there (after the previous bad winter of 2014/2015).

hunterofelke
Roland

hunterofelke
Roland
PostSun Aug 09, 2020 9:41 am 
I think it depends on how agile and strong of a hiker a person is. Some might see the creek crossings as routine, others like me have to decide if it is worth it.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Sep 21, 2020 4:59 pm 
Was there any update on this missing hiker?

hunterofelke
Roland

hunterofelke
Roland
PostTue Sep 22, 2020 9:17 am 
I have been watching for news about the missing woman, but I have seen no updates. I know the area was searched with dogs and no result. That area is thick and if she wandered off the trail I can understand how no trace would be found. I have also watched for trip reports in that drainage but seen nothing.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 10:22 pm 
There are still flyers posted at all the Middle Fork trailheads and day use areas

hunterofelke
Roland

hunterofelke
Roland
PostMon Oct 05, 2020 7:11 am 
I hiked to Lake Blethan 10/04/20. Getting there is nicer since the water in creeks is lower and trail is marked. The missing hiker probably left the trail or went someplace completly different. I hope the family gets some kind of closer.