Forum Index > Photography Talk > Metal prints
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 5:13 pm 
Anybody in here have metal prints made? I don't mean the Kodak paper, I mean your photo printed on a sheet of aluminum. What kind of picture works best for this? Any guidelines? Thanks! smile.gif

breadcrumb
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yukon222

yukon222
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 6:20 pm 
Yes, I’ve had a dozen or so made by Aspen Creek https://www.aspencreekphoto.com/metal Been very happy with the results. You do have to increase the brightness/whiteness of your photo more than you have in your digital monitor and a little more than regular photographic prints in my experience. I’ve had them make 16” x 20” and smaller. Have them add the mounting clip to the back side of the aluminum so all ready to hang.

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 6:52 pm 
I’ve asked at least 4 photographers at local art festivals and all said HD Aluminum Prints in Vancouver WA. I’ve had a number of prints made since, large and small, and could not be more happy with the results or order process. Randy, the owner, spent 30 mins with me on phone when this rank amateur had a question about some B&W’s. Great guy. https://www.hdaluminumprints.com/

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 9:04 pm 
Timely post, as I have been considering this. Anyone have experience with Costco? https://www.costcophotocenter.com/wall-decor/metal-prints

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 9:15 pm 
Keep it small & local (well if you're in Seattle) by visiting Stretch & Staple in the Greenwood area. I just had 4 canvas prints done there, and am very happy with their work. They do metal prints as well, but I haven't any advice on that; they had samples to look at, and the guy there had great advice for metal vs canvas. They do custom sizes too.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 9:43 pm 
I've been wanting to try an aluminum print. I'm wondering which image I should use. Night photo? Day shot with a lot of snow? Colorful, or subdued? What's going to look best? Also, any thoughts on the white base layer vs printing directly onto the metal?

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 11:14 pm 
I'll also second Aspen Creek Photo, they've done a great job with the ones I've had done so far. I've also been recommended Meridian Pro but I haven't had the opportunity to try them out yet.
Cyclopath wrote:
I'm wondering which image I should use. Night photo? Day shot with a lot of snow? Colorful, or subdued? What's going to look best?
They tend to err a bit on the dark side, so as long as you compensate for that before sending off the final image, it shouldn't be much different than your run of the mill Fuji Crystal or Kodak Endura paper.
Quote:
Also, any thoughts on the white base layer vs printing directly onto the metal?
Entirely up to your personal taste. I usually prefer a white base myself because it allows more of the detail in the image to stand out, but there are images that would look good with a metallic sheen - typically abstracts for me, but it would work well for black and whites with high contrast too. You probably won't really know for sure how to feel about them until you see one yourself.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 11:25 pm 
Do any of the prints on aluminum do O.K. outside? Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 5:46 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
Do any of the prints on aluminum do O.K. outside?
No personal experience, but it looks like not long term no. Seems like a 2-5 year lifespan is expected in direct sunlight / exposure to the elements if the prints are specifically produced for outdoor display (which seems to be a requisite).

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 8:45 pm 
Thanks.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostFri Dec 11, 2020 11:30 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
I'm wondering which image I should use. Night photo?
I've had several done with outstanding result (having printed them previously on paper). I think you'll find metal beneficial in bringing out contrast, color, and detail in low-light photos (on aluminum finish). I've printed blue-hour and moonlight shots, and one detailed ice abstract. Alternatively canvas lends itself to color and softer detail. Some examples I've had good results with:
A 2a shot to capture the elusive darkness of summertime in the NW corner of Washington state.
A 2a shot to capture the elusive darkness of summertime in the NW corner of Washington state.
Propped the ice in front of a birch tree on a sunny day
Propped the ice in front of a birch tree on a sunny day
This scene captured my attention on our way from the Island ferry.  Finding the right vantage took some time, but Fidalgo Bay Rd. lined everything up without power lines intruding on the image.
This scene captured my attention on our way from the Island ferry. Finding the right vantage took some time, but Fidalgo Bay Rd. lined everything up without power lines intruding on the image.
Our trip to Manhattan; this was an evening ferry from the island to Hoboken NJ to get some "perspective". (the foreground river turbulence was from frequent ferry arrivals/departures)
Our trip to Manhattan; this was an evening ferry from the island to Hoboken NJ to get some "perspective". (the foreground river turbulence was from frequent ferry arrivals/departures)
My tidewater town
My tidewater town

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Dec 25, 2020 10:35 pm 
Thank you so much for the examples, D. It's beautiful stuff. Your entire collection is gorgeous. smile.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Feb 02, 2021 1:22 pm 
Mpix had a sale, mine arrived today. I ordered a few from 4x6 to 16x24, very happy with how they came out. I did a few daytime shots - Dickerman, Cascade Pass - and a few starry night photos. Both styles look fantastic. I did glossy with a white base and they look like what you'd expect from paper. These are waterproof, you can hang them in a garden. I got foam mounts that hold them about 1/2" from the wall, nice look. Very pleased.